Thanks Tuk!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TravellingTartar, Jan 19, 2018.

?

In the next three years, are you going to Tuk?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2021.
  1. Absolutely

59.5%
  2. Want to

33.1%
  3. Can't

1.8%
  4. Nope

5.5%
  1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new Samsung tablet and loaded Google maps and low and behold the road to Tuk is on there, whooo, hooooo.
    TreasureState and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THANKS! I actually bought the same one from ITMB. It just got in yesterday. To be frank, the road is marked so so. I'm not sure it's the accurate track.

So coooool. Then again, every time I talk about Tuk maps I'm smacked down. Frankly, they're right LOL. On the entire Dempster there's only one wrong turn. Then again, knowing me, I'll probably take it someday!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    HAPPY!!! The first batch of I MADE IT TO TUK stickers, several thousand, are now IN TUKTOYAKTUK!! They have arrived! Annie has told me how pleased they are with them. They will be going on sale shortly. She has promised me that she would be the very first client!! Annie and I are going to talk tomorrow about what else we can do together for Tuk. Maybe patches? Reflective stickers? We'll see... In any case, THANK YOU to all who have contributed and please, if you still believe in this project, share it with others. We'd like to keep going and give Tuk that little bit of extra help. Really very happy right now!! For those who have not yet donated, if you'd like to, gofundme.com/thankstuk

Annie with Stickers.png
  4. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    A message from Annie:

Thanks Cemil! This is a wonderful gesture and we appreciate the generosity that everyone has showed us. Once the proceeds from the sales of the stickers start flowing in - I will update you all on what we have invested the funds in. Again, thank you all!!
    TreasureState, twowings and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  5. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    One thing that Cemil and Annie can tell us about...... what are the dining options in TUK ?

I owe some riders lunch....on June 19th...so if we know in advance, we can plan on having a great lunch :dukegirl
    Migolito and TravellingTartar like this.
  6. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    Donation sent. Hope to be there in 2019...Make that 2018 :D
    TravellingTartar and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  7. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    THX GREG!!! Really appreciated!!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  8. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    I just sent Annie an email. Will revert as soon as she answers with the latest food info for Tuk.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  9. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    So, I just spoke to Annie. Here's the story.

Currently, Tuk does not have a 'restaurant'. One is opening in the coming days/weeks. It won't be anything fancy, but it will have chairs, tables and food. Who needs more? So yes, by this summer, there will be dining.
    Meanwhile, there are two General Stores with the full gamut of usual food available in the North.
    There are also brand new picnic tables both at 'The Point' and throughout the hamlet.
    There are also a couple of outhouses...
    Last, but of no interest to bikers, they have set up a 'parking area' for RVs. It's not a campground, but it is, for now, the designated parking area.

I hope this helps.
  10. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Yes, that helps, and Thank You...and Annie.

We don't need a fancy 5 star restaurant, or even a Michelin 3 star dining experience. We are riding to TUK....to experience TUK.

:ricky:ricky:dukegirl:dukegirl........:p3rry
  11. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see the changes that occur in Tuk over the next 5 or 10 years. Things will change, but I hope their community and culture remain strong.
    Hi-De-Ho and TravellingTartar like this.
  12. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    I've spoken to the hamlet council at length and they have their head on straight. They want to improve the community but they absolutely want to remain modest and sustainable. Good people.
  13. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if anyone would object to someone setting up a tent in that RV parking area long enough to get a long nap. Middle of summer there's not much night up there but it would be cool to say I've camped on the "shore" or the Arctic Ocean and I may be due a nap by the time I get all the way to Tuk.
    Migolito likes this.
  14. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    No worries at all. I'll be camping there for 10 days! We'll see what happens in years to come, but for this year we can basically pitch a tent anywhere!! As I write these words all I can think of is leaving TODAY!! I wish!!!!! 58 days and I leave!!!!
    TreasureState, Migolito and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    120 days from now.....we will be eating lunch at the finest dining establishment in Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. :dukegirl :dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl:dukegirl
  16. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Plan still good to be at the Peel Ferry on 1 June or sooner. Plan on being the second person to buy a TUK sticker. KLR-650 from Florida.
    GSAnderson and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Friendly dig here, but I hope that the 1st sticker goes on a DR650 . . .

:hide
  18. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Dig and challenge accepted. Here's the thought. I'm going to link up with Lizzard323 at Peel. We ride together to Tuk. At the Tuk sign, I drop the bike. He helps me. I feign pulling my back. While he takes pity on the old man, I suddenly awaken the hidden H. Bolt in me and dash to the Hamlet. I run in, plop my $5 on the counter. I run out, sticker in hand, feeling good about being the first biker to have bought a sticker. I then rush back to the bikes. There, Lizzard is smiling, showing me his sticker already on the bike. I'm flustered, but how did he do it? As he turns around, I see a discreetly hidden symbol on the inside of his jacket, he's the real life Flash. I was beaten by the Flash. Though now second, I am consoled that I was beaten by a super hero. We mount our bikes and drive into town.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  19. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Let's PM about meeting up somewhere, if you'd like. Not sure when you'll be at Dawson, or Eagle Plains... Also, what route are you taking from Florida? Departure date?
  20. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    I love it when a plan comes together.jpg
    TravellingTartar and Hi-De-Ho like this.