That buzzing sound...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mane, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

Two weekends ago, I took my 2008 990 Adv for a short breakfast ride with some friends. On the return leg I heard a buzzing sound coming from the front wheel. Mmmm.. I thought, that could be the bearings screaming its way out. The bike has 16,500 miles aprox, but is almost 12 years olds. So a new set of bearings is reasonable in my book.

The next weekend, after locally sourcing seals and bearings, I took the front wheel off and proceed to remove the bearing. I did have a unusual hard time removing it since the inner spacer wouldn't move the reveal a gap on the bearing to strike on. However I finally succeed and this is what I found..

This is the inner spacer...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the front hub...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems like the forks became misaligned, somehow, and the axel rubbed the inner spacer against the hub, to the point of welding small bit into the hub. Hence the buzzing sound... :bluduh

I've bought a new inner spacer from eBay, its already on is way, however I'm not sure how to go about the hub... Any ideas on how to cleanup this? I thinking of going with a dremel and a grinding bit to smooth out the surface of the inner hub. What do you guys think?

Regards,
    Mane
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    2019-11-21_07-04-10.jpg

As big rotating round rough sander as you can fit on the drill.

A small rotary tool will take so much longer.

Mine was in alot worse state then yours. With it welded stuck to hub, was solved by not tightening things up. And this was not the only issue with the bike.

Sold by inmate here as ready to race.

Would love to give him a high five in the face... with a chair!

Put some tape on the new spacer to see that I had some clearence as I was grinding away.

/Johan
    Peltsi likes this.
  3. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Johan, the tip on rough sander is good and obivous one.. which I did not think of...

What do you mean with "was solved by not tightening things up"?

Regards,
    Mane
  4. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since distance tube between bearings was welded to the hub. If tightening up the front axle the wheel would not spin. So solution was simply to not tighten up the front Axle nut and call it good.

Could have been dangerous and build up some serious heat maybe that helped put it such a bad state. Had to seriously hammer the tube out. Was fused to hub. You caught it early and should have an easy fix.

/Johan
    Mane likes this.
  5. nige 123

nige 123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Assuming correct assembly and parts, the only way I can see the bearing spacer making contact with the wheel hub is if the bearings were excessively worn.
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is things got hot enough to melt the spacer?

/Johan