1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

That's no way to treat a new bike... a short report.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by G.Gordon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Tim, 84thProblem, got new bike. 2009 KLR. That bike was less than 24 hours old and he was going to CC... :patch Hey... I got my camera.

I wanted to ride Cooper Creek, an ATV rec. area covering about 500 sq. acres by Lake Truman in Missouri.

Late Saturday night I PM'd him my phone number and said to call early. He did. We met up and road to CC at 8am.

It seemed like it took forever to get there since we kept the speed down under 60ish for a proper break in run.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]\
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are ATV's but they were a nice bunch and got us pointed in the right direction when we got lost.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was hot and humid. This is the climb out of a bowl we found ourselves in and per the ATV riders the other way was longer or return from where we came...:nah . It was great. We both expanded our skill level a bit and gained new riding knowledge.

We stopped at this store in Deepwater for some cold water. I had my camel back with me and it was about drained and what was left was boiling. I tipped up my water and brought it down empty. We headed over to Montrose to have lunch at Short Street and were not disapointed. BLT and fried okra and large amounts of ice'd tea.

I'll steal one from Tim's smugmug, but let him post the rest.

[​IMG]
  2. EvilBetty

EvilBetty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great day trip!
  3. buckfever34

buckfever34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun time!
  4. j0ney3

j0ney3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say that's EXACTLY how to treat a new bike! :clap
  5. Apex3

Apex3 Is the Stig

Oddometer:
    Great work, guys. :clap

And terrific coincidental powers - my usual riding compatriot and I were just alerted to the existence of Cooper Creek this weekend, immediately kindling a fire to take our big pigs down in the middle-near future. Glad to hear you found it a positive experience; after a less-than-optimal experience on and around Glade Top Trail, I'm afraid my default has been to view MO ATVers with some unease.

May have to check out your Short Street recommendation.

Did you find the unlabeled trail map on the Corps of Engineers webpage sufficient, or simply the only option?

Good stuff, well done. Cheers. :freaky
  6. izzy's

izzy's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn nice shirt Gordon. Where would a guy get one?
  7. Timo Explorer

Timo Explorer Trail Wizard

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike. I couldn't be happier with my '08 KLR, the one my friends call the submarine cuz of all the deep water its been through.

Can't think of a better way to treat a new bike. This is what its made for, havin' fun.

Many happy adventures.............:rofl
  8. G.Gordon

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That shirt holds 30x it's weight in sweat. Got anymore? I like natural colors.
  9. G.Gordon

Oddometer:
    Keep me in mind. I'd be glad to tag along for a return trip. Of course with all the rain today it'll be a mug bath.
  10. 84thProblem

84thProblem Disbelief suspended

Oddometer:
    Actually, the unlabled Corps map, along with a GPS (even the tower verion on my phone) would have been a godsend - had we been alone out there. But, as Gordon pointed out, there were some very helpful ATV riders. I might also note these guys were surprised to find anyone there riding bikes as big as ours! I found the map online this morning. While it would have helped on Sunday, a labled version would be better, but I haven't found one yet.
    As shaky as my first visit was, I can't wait to go back!
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KLR just doesn't look right all shiny and clean! It looks like you're doing something about it :thumb
  12. EvilBetty

EvilBetty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YouTube them, then paste the links in the posts.
  13. G.Gordon

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you up and about, Tim. Hope you don't mind me scalping a couple pics from your smugmug.:lol3
  14. 84thProblem

Oddometer:
    Cool! Looks like somebody removed my screwed up post. I'll start adding the pics & vids correctly tomorrow!

Here's the one it first hung up on. I love his cackle at the top of the hill!

<OBJECT height=318 width=425>

<embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjE1NDA1NDkyJms9RUtaUkUmYT05MjE2OTY4X01VM0NvJnU9ODR0aFByb2JsZW0=" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></OBJECT></P>
  15. 84thProblem

Oddometer:
    And the first three shots. I wish I could remember what I wrote the first time I contributed to this thread. I think it went something like "blah, blah, blah ... dropped bike less than 24 hours after picking it up :cry ... blah, blah, blah ... scared myself s**tless :eek1 ... blah,blah, blah ... can't wait to try it again! :D "
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. 84thProblem

Oddometer:
    Can't seem to stop myself now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<object width="425" height="318"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjE1MzgwNDI4Jms9RkxIYnQmYT05MjE2OTY4X01VM0NvJnU9ODR0aFByb2JsZW0=" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjE1MzgwNDI4Jms9RkxIYnQmYT05MjE2OTY4X01VM0NvJnU9ODR0aFByb2JsZW0=" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  17. 84thProblem

Oddometer:
    Gordon's first drop -
    [​IMG]

Shroud on mine after my drop. I probably sounded to panicky to allow a picture while it slept!
    [​IMG]

I love this series in the sandbox -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. G.Gordon

Oddometer:
    It was hot, hot I tell ya.

Kinda felt like this guy >:annie