That's not a pillion box, THIS is .... ;-)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MirthfulThylacinator, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:38 AM.

1. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    ... so, support struts for the old light-duty topbox cracked & broke during last trip through Tassie's backroads. I thought, surely there could be a better way to utilize that empty pillion space? ebay and moto-accessory makers only offer crummy little cosmetics cases. But if I'm not going to use a topbox - makes that 2nd level carry rack superfluous, right? Off with it then. Suddenly there's all the space freed up, already designed to carry the weight of a person, so loading it up shouldn't be a problem ... hmm? Had a bit of 3mm aluminium sheet left over, cut/shaped the locators from 12mm thick poly sheet to match what's under the OEM pillion seat. Drilled & tapped & bolted on with M6 mushroom-head in-hex bolts. Now it's only a matter of swapping out the seat-locking-pin if I want to take a pillion along. Took one day to make it, I reckon that's ok . Yeah, it's a bit on the big side. About 550mm long x 280mm wide x 150mm high (21.5" x 11" x 6"). But I haven't yet heard anyone complaining about too much onboard storage capacity on a bike.

Fits like a glove. Snaps into the same locator/locking pin arrangement as pillion seat. Simple removal with key. Only need to sort out thin self-adhesive foam liner for inside, and some type of varnish to stop the aluminium blackening everything on the outside ...

WP_20191011_12_21_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20191011_12_22_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20191011_19_10_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20191011_19_10_37_Pro.jpg
    mrsdnf, ER70S-2, Zurgg and 11 others like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb
  3. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Coffin for when you run over a squirrel or groundhog?
    LPKA, elcabong, Oeths and 13 others like this.
  4. Reno1

Reno1 Can't get lost if you don't know where you'er goin

Oddometer:
    Very nice
    MirthfulThylacinator likes this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I love it! Great job you did.
  6. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job!
    The coffin look may attract Harley riders tho' :evil
  7. 9mm

9mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just in time for Halloween. Awesome job BTW.
  8. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would warn you to redesign your box so that it doesn't have a small point of contact closest to your spine. There's an awful lot of spinal injuries from being rear-ended while having a top box mounted. I only run with a soft large BMW tailbag for that reason.

If it were me I'd have a rear-opening box, and have the end closest to my back have an additional section so the angle changed by 45 degrees, had an inch or two flat, then the remaining 45 degrees... and I'd pad it well.
  9. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great. Really useable space . But I'm a little unclear why the curve that meets the riders seat doesn't run parallel with the riders seat? I mean, you put a curve in, but chose to mirror the riders seat,?

As for the comment from Obijohn... Yikes! I've noted that one!
  10. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    Obijohn, thanks for the warning - I never even thought of that. Good point. Ouch.

Slipperyeel, the thought of matching the rider's seat curve went in the too-hard basket. Reasons: 1) the pillion seat base profile fits over that ridge where the locking pin clicks in. To match that was outside my time & skill budget, lots of extra hours for only cosmetic gain. 2) I did think along Obijohn"s comment a little bit, and wasn't keen of having 2 forward pointing prongs/corners behind my back.
    3) adding a padded backrest now moved up on my to-do-next list :-)
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  11. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two pointed sides... Hmmm... good point (no pun intended!). I stand corrected!

Still a bit concerned ref Obijohns comment. I mean, just top boxes were included
  12. jbuggyus

jbuggyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious, is this truly an issue with top boxes? I have not heard of spinal injuries due to topboxes?
  13. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    There was a rider up here in the PNW who was rear-ended on his GS (or GSA) with a hard top box. He's a paraplegic. There was another one on the West Coast. Both of these were reported on this site (maybe in the Face Plant thread?). Think about what happens with a hard case if you're rear-ended... what is going to hit you in the back? I hadn't really considered it until I read those reports... then decided I didn't need a hard top case.
    jbuggyus likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Contrary to this the fact is a top box may take some force of a crash BEFORE anything hits the rider. Remember motorcycles are dangerous...safer to wrap your self in cotton balls and sit on the couch watching TV.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Normal top boxes? It has happened, but it is not THAT common. This box is very close to the back, but a good jacket with a quality full back protector should be OK. Also, his mounts are plastic and easily dislodged.
    :thumb
    GS Addict and jbuggyus like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    There are always examples of any possible permutation. Hell, you do not need a top case to have it happen.
    slipperyeel likes this.
  17. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 I was just going to point out the back protector.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If it’s not a top box shoved up your ass it’s a passenger seat, a six pack of beer or a load of firewood. If you have nothing there then you get the grill of a Chevy Tahoe.
    ER70S-2, JimVonBaden and jbuggyus like this.
  19. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's always something... but I'd rather it not be a permanent spinal injury. A good jacket with a spine protector helps, but take the sharp edge off and pad the crap out of it.
  20. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :pot

A GS in America without hard luggage? Sacré bleu!
    I think that is too tall an order.

Great job @MirthfulThylacinator
    JimVonBaden likes this.