1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bowlerman

bowlerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't think the stock seat was uncomfortable with the front on high and back on low. after about 45min it would feel like the foam collapsed and I felt like I was sitting on the base. I'm trying to decide which one was better. I don't want to change it and find out the seat concepts was better. Too many staple holes. I sat on a 2017 XRT and it felt good. 20200403_170316.jpg
  2. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at a very lightly used 2015 model. Looks to be in great shape and test rides fine. Noticed some oil on the lower right side of the engine near the sight glass. Not dripping down the engine but enough that brake dust was sticking to it and it wiped off oily. Any known issue like this or easy fix? Circled the wet area in this picture.

Tiger oil leak.jpg
  3. theunbeatenpath

theunbeatenpath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d be curious to see if the bolts on the cover just above your hand drawn circle are correctly torqued. If they have loosened a bit, that might explain the oil.
  4. kebrider

kebrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 15 and I had to torque the bolts (only once) on both sides and the back of the engine to prevent minor oil deposits. It always fixed the issue.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  5. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Something easy like that would be great.
  6. raulnorry

raulnorry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had this happen, and I've also had the bike shift itself in to Neutral from 2nd gear without any touching of the gear shifter.
  7. Captain_nd_coke

Captain_nd_coke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    coming from a bonnie to 800, I will second that... stock 800 seat is so comfy for me on a 350-450 mile days... cause my back was used to bonnie's stock as well as $375 worthless/stupid comfort seat of bonnie.
  8. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my 2018 XCa has a flaky turn signal- sometimes works, sometimes no*. Went to pop the lens off and I don't know that I can get that screw out... WTH?

Interesting to me that in 30 years and more than a dozen bikes, I've only had two turn signal bulbs burn out... one on a Tiger 800 XC, now on the 1200.

*Works when cold, stops working when hot. We're goign to hope that's the bulb, and not a connection in the ECU, m'kay?
  9. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I got the bulb out and it looks good and tests good. Has anyone else seen this?

Anyone know how much of the front end do I have to take apart to get to the turn signal connector and check that?
  10. theunbeatenpath

theunbeatenpath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The connection isn't very far, so I would assume that there can't be much to remove (but then again who knows).... Tiger turn signals.jpg
  11. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess I have to bite the bullet and get in there; best I can tell the throttle-side turn signal connector is on the clutch side of the headlight...

The bulb looks and tests fine (cold)... not encouraging. I hope it is the bulb or a loose connection, and not an ECU problem. Running turn signals and headlight and other basic stuff through the ECU is an example of "because you can doesn't mean you should"... sigh
  12. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, has anyone else in the US twith 2018 or newer hought about picking up a European left switchgear, to have a more normal headlight function? (US bikes don't have a high-low switch like a normal motorcycle- we use the highbeam dipper as an on/off toggle. Why? Because why NOT mess with the standard setup, amiright?)
  13. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Acquired a new bulb... it didn't work either. WTF... Took the signal apart- the power connection is an L shape that's supposed to push on the bulb... wasn't bent far enough to make solid contact.
    Bike2Big likes this.
  14. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Are these bikes very owner serviceable? Got a test ride on a new 2019 last Friday and think I’m getting close to buying but the nearest dealers are 120 miles away and in major metro areas so unless there are warranty issues I don’t want to have to go to the dealer very often.
  15. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO they are low maintenance compared to other brands and no reason you can't do the easy stuff like oil & filter yourself. BUT...be prepared to stare at the stupid service light after 1 year as you can't shut it off, the dealer has to do that via the computer.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  16. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Nothing like a GS 911 or other service tool for the Triumph?
  17. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tune ECU and bluetooth OBDII reader worked on the 2012 Tiger 1200. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuneecu&hl=en_US

I did all of service my self. The valves never need to be changed in 60,000 mikes. The only thing that sucks is getting the gas tank off you need to drain it or cap off the cross over tubes. You can spill some gas when doing it.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  18. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there is a Tune ECU or something that will work and will probably pay for itself in the first DIY service.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  19. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Smart to buy a slightly used one out of warranty and save some cash or better to get a new one with the warranty because I’ll probably need it? I’ve done a lot of reading and there are some horror stories out there but I find the same deal with BMW and I’ve had three of them that have been largely trouble free.

Will I be needing one of these. :lol3

[​IMG]
    raulnorry likes this.
  20. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any issues with mine since new. I shopped a GS against this bike and the dealer wanted a $400 service every 3000 miles which I thought was excessive. Same price for less equipment on the GS as well. I had a 1st gen Tiger 800 before and experienced the front end bounce but those didn't have adjustable suspension. My wife has an 800 rodie and it's been flawless, she came off cruisers and loves it. My friend has had nothing but trouble with the current GS he bought sometime in the last couple years to include just replacing the internals on the front suspension. BMW fixed it the first time it went out and he had to do it on his own dime this time. Probably just the luck of the draw on some things but having the front suspension fixed twice in a couple years is not right. I wish the ABS & TC could be shut off with a hard switch but that is about the extent of my complaints.