1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations for a tail or seat bag? I have hard bags but just looking for something that would be good for a day ride. Big enough for a flat kit, rain suit, extra gloves, jacket liner etc. The SW-Motech Ion 7-15L Tail Bag looks like it would be a good fit on the rear seat and is about the size I was thinking of. Thoughts?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-ion-7-15l-tail-bag?rrec=true
  2. eltel62

eltel62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the SW-Motech EVO Rearbag 24-36l Ballistic Nylon Tail Bag for a few years now, very high quality and a great looking addition on the rear pillion seat. Tie downs on the bike are perfect for it and it comes with an internal waterproof bag. It is concave at the base and is only suitable for fitting on the pillion seat.

Attached Files:

Jetpilot5 likes this.
  3. Gtwo

Gtwo Old,slow and havin' fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Saddlemen Sport Tunnel bag.. fits like a glove on the Tiger.. bag.jpg
    SMIFFXC and Jetpilot5 like this.
  4. bowlerman

bowlerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2015 at Idle is 7 mph at 1000 rpm. At 10mph its 1600rpm.
    TripleDaddy likes this.
  5. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Should make a good sidecar tug!
  6. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    I had one of the Saddlement tunnel bags for a while and the only thing I didn't like was that it interfered with the grab handles when I was getting the bike on and off the center stand.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-sport-tunnel-bag

Now I have a Cortech tail bag for short rides:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-tail-bag

20200829_141610.jpg

And some Kriega bags, US30 and US10, for longer rides or when I need more stuff or expect it to rain.

20200829_141519.jpg
    theunbeatenpath, dunc and Jetpilot5 like this.
  7. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    How's shifting on these bikes? My 2018 only has 1,300 miles on it now but the upshifts are pretty rough. I'm not missing gears but a lot of shifts are click, pause, click to catch the next gear and shift lever effort is high. Occasionally it will slot right in but most times it's very notchy. Worst is 5th and 6th and it's worse when the engine is hot. Adjusting the clutch lever all the way out improves it slightly but not much. Going down the box is no problem. The bike is going in for it's break in service Saturday and I'm going to tell them about it. Anything I should try or mention to the dealer to adjust while it's there? Bleed the clutch maybe or linkage adjustment?

Engine oil and final drive oil were both changed at 500 miles.
  8. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2018 is flawless. With that mileage you shouldn't be having problems. I assume the dealer did the 500 mile service so correct oil was used? I've had 3 Triumphs and the gear box is always something I've really liked on them, never a problem. The other two were/are 800's but still some of the best gear boxes I've had. Hopefully they get it figured out.
    Just out of curiosity, does the shift assist without using the clutch work fine or is it just as bad?
  9. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    I did the oil change using the oil and filter the dealer supplied at the time of purchase. Triumph filter and Castrol Power 1 10w-50 full synthetic oil. My dealer is 250 miles away so I don’t run by there too often though I am taking the bike in for the rest of the break in service on Saturday. No shift assist on my bike The XRx does not have the shift assist as standard.
  10. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something doesn't sound right, should shift great. Might be some air in the clutch line but unfortunately Triumph didn't put a bleeder valve up top by the lever so you can't do a quick "burp" of the line to get the bubble out unless someone knows of a way. Maybe use some google fu on this and the triumph 1200 forum and see what you find. Good luck tomorrow and please keep us informed of what the outcome was, I always like having that kind of info in the back of my head...just in case.
  11. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2015 (bought new in 2018) does the same thing occasionally at 2600 miles and has since new. I've had other bikes act similarly. I'm curious to see what the dealer has to say about it.
  12. Bike2Big

Bike2Big Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah.. something is up.. sometimes shifting to 2nd or 3rd I can feel a little crunchy at the foot but it is a solid engagement. i think i am feeling my quick shifter compressing before it shifts.

But besides that.. this transmission feels solid; easy shifts, immediate engagement. I've heard deacribed as "agricultural" like your shifting equipment.. so its not a lite or quiet shift but it is solid with no question of if it engaged. It is definitely not as smooth as my thruxton transmission but it just feel like its not as broken in.. currently at 9k miles.

I have never noticed any heat/temp related degradation in the shifts. Goodluck
  13. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely let you know what the dealer says. From what I’ve read stiff shifting isn’t normally a problem with these bikes.
  14. Icy_

Icy_ Stationary Traveller

Oddometer:
  15. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    So rode up to my dealer last Saturday for them to finish the break-in service. I told them when I made the appointment about my shifting issues and mentioned it again when they took the bike in. Bike passed with a clean bill of health. I did get to speak with the tech that did the test ride and he did give it a fairly thorough ride as I saw an additional 16 miles on the odometer. I was pleasantly surprised when he said he was able to duplicate the issue and knew exactly what I was talking about. It was his opinion that it wasn't a mechanical problem but an ergonomic one. Says that Triumph has the shift lever set very low from the factory and the lever is shorter than most leaving a shorter distance between the peg and the lever. Said he has had several customers make this complaint and that as factory adjusted some riders tend to push forward on the lever rather than lifting it. He offered to either move the lever up one spline on the shaft or adjust the shaft linkage length using the double lock-nuts. After discussing this and being reassured there was no mechanical problem I decided I'd leave the adjustment alone until I got home with the bike and take care of it myself.

Monday morning I loosened both lock-nuts and spun the linkage shaft until the rod bottomed out in the shortest position. That raised the end of the lever a little over half an inch. Took it out for a 100 mile test ride. What a difference! Huge improvement. So much easier to shift that I'm convinced (and relieved) there is no mechanical problem. I don't have huge feet, size 11, but it's so much easier to get under the lever now. I must be one of those people that was trying to push the lever more forward than up. Nice that the tech wasn't just blowing smoke. I also noticed improved down shifting even though I didn't think that was too bad before. It's not a buttery smooth transmission but I'm sure it's not having any problems. The bike is a lot more fun when you can just concentrate on the ride and not wonder if it'll make the next shift.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy. I appreciate everyone's input. :-)
  16. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted out. Interesting to me as my son and I recently took out a new Tiger 900 for a rest ride and I instantly thought the shifter was too low, just didn't like the placement of it. After he got on it for a while I asked him what the thought. He has a bigger foot than me and he said the shifter was too low. Once we got back to the dealer I looked to see how easy it would be to move it up. We sat on another one in the showroom and it felt just fine, it was clearly higher up. Two identical bikes but clearly the levers seemed to have been put on at least one tooth off from each other.
  17. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know a paint code for a 2015 Triumph Explorer frame? I just bought one and have a few small marks that I'd like to touch up. I did a search but didn't come up with anything yet.
  18. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I found a "TRIUMPH CHARCOAL PEARL MATT TOUCH UP KIT" on ebay for $15. I plan to give it a try.
  19. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds about right. There is definitely a pearl to it in the sun.
  20. Flyboy52219

Flyboy52219 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Kriega US-20 Drypack ...I was able to get two days of clothes in it as well as toiletries.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.