The 200cc thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by AWM, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Did you go with the 500.00 or so,kit I see on ebay?
    I wonder if people ever rebuild the OEM crank or everybody goes aftermarket crank? Re-plating still goes for around 280.00 or so?

We went right from hot/dusty/dry here to really cold and finally getting rain.
    1962siia likes this.
  2. 1962siia

1962siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the wrench rabbit kit. It was on amazon for $450 or so. I sent the cylinder to Millenium. It will hopefully be on its way back soon. They haven't charged me yet, but I think its $250 or so +/- shipping charges.

Yeah I'm also in norcal. Been riding Cow Mtn and Penny Pines all fall. Started hearing piston slap so did some inspection and decided it was time to do the whole thing. Looking forward to getting back out on the 200 asap now that its not so hot. I whipped up a chainsaw mount for the 200 and tested it out on my last ride. So many trees down from the fires.

Attached Files:

Foot dragger likes this.
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    This old 2001 200 EXC I picked up cheap,sounds good and runs good. Im hoping maybe somebody rebuilt it along the way. The carb had so many hours on it,it was worn out. That takes some riding time.
    I dont hear any piston slap and the sucker pulls hard.

Was the rod bearing or crank bearings loose on yours,or you just decided to do it all at once?

I put a steahley flywheel on the 2000 MXC 200 I bought new,and I liked it that way. May put one on this one.
  4. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    The rod was bad at both ends. I'm glad I stopped riding it and took it apart before I damaged the cylinder! Crank bearings looked fine but every bearing and seal was replaced.

Have you played with the power valve adjustment on yours? I hadn't thought about a flywheel weight. Seems like the power valve adjustment can take my bike from tractor to screamer. I normally keep mine in the middle but just slightly on the screamer side. Only thing I wish I had was a starter motor.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive had somewhere around 15 KTM 2 strokes since 1978. So Ive played with tuning on them some.

The flywheel helps with hookup on tricky sections,and makes the bike harder to stall on brakes or lugging it down. I liked the way it worked on my MXC.
    I think newer 200's already come with a heavier flywheel. I think.

I had a 2014 300,but I wasnt riding it any and sold it before value dropped to zip. Ive got going again on bicycles which sucks up a lot of time.
    Found this 200 cheap.
    1962siia likes this.
  6. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could anyone point me to torque specs for fasteners on a 1986 it200 yamaha? I was using 6ftlb for clutch spring bolts an snapped one. Need the spec for the flywheel-side crankshaft nut. May needs cyl head nut spec as well.

I also need to know what oil to use in gearcase/clutch. Spec seems to be "10-30w transmission oil - not motor oil". Not sure what that means.

--Kevin
  7. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Just got the call from Millennium that my cylinder is done! I'm paying for fast shipping so it should be here hopefully on Saturday assuming they don't deliver on Xmas. I serviced the swing arm bearings the other day so just need to clean dirt from all the nooks and crannies on the frame and I'll be ready to install the engine and top end! Have a New Years Day ride planned and I'm looking forward to riding the 200! Woot!

EDIT- realized my rebuild kit came with a B group piston, so just ordered the A group. Cylinder and new piston both scheduled to arrive on 12/28. Should give me plenty of time to get it ready for NYD ride.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It is icy here on trails most likely,but some kind of a ride could be done.
    The next 3 or 4 days will tell as to how much snow comes in. Trails start at 3000 and can go as high as 7200 in summer.

There are/were some lower trails but they are mostly all burned to a crisp,the falling trees are a danger for a while.
  9. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Yeah we rode through iced over puddles and a little snow last weekend riding between Penny Pines and Stonyford. Planning the same ride for New Years Day. Supposed to have some rain between now and then so hopefully it won’t get a lot of snow or knock down too many of the dead trees! If I get the 200 done for that ride I’ll have the chainsaw on the front for clearing trees. We didn’t have to clear many last week. First ride in a while that didn’t have multiple trees down on the trails.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    How many miles approx of trail at Penny Pines? Never been there.
    Ive heard side X sides are kind of rampant at Stonyford,havent been there for years.

I have ridden the west side over near Elk Creek for many years,lots of big climbs not as much trail as we had there long ago.
    The August Complex fire unfortunately blew through there. We checked it out recently,not a lot of trees down yet but I think there will be.
    Might be a good time to build new trails over there.

Endless dual sport riding to coast and all over from the West Side of valley. DSCF4965.JPG DSCF4938.JPG DSCF4936.JPG DSCF4937.JPG
    1962siia likes this.
  11. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Penny isnt huge but plenty to keep you riding all day and then some. Easy to connect over to Stony as well. Yes the fires burned through both areas and the trees are coming down big time. I cant remember the last ride we didn't have to clear trees. Just part of the deal now. Map of Penny Pines linked below.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5145212.pdf
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    These West Side trails are maybe 25 miles from Stonyford.
    Some good riding over there. The trails on my side of valley are all homemade and hidden as much as possible for as long as possible.
    All decomposed granite and huge solid granite sections. Pretty much all tight to really tight corners and creeks and up and down.
  13. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    I got the 200 xcw all back together yesterday. The engine has WAY more compression than it used to and is noticeably tighter. Going to take it to Cow Mtn when it warms up a bit to take it through a couple heat cycles and play with the power valve and any carb adjustment it may/not need. Planning to ride it on my NYD ride so want to find any issues before then. Not expecting any issues because it sounds great. I love this bike!

Im relatively new to 2t engines so wasn’t too sure about how to set up this bike. Read some stuff on a KTM forum and set mine up like in the pics. Manual say X should be zero for my bike but that left the squish much larger than folks were recommending to make more power. I played with several different base gaskets and kept the squish larger than 1mm which folks suggested they used with regular pump gas. My head is stock so I didn’t want to push the compression/valve timing too far from stock. I’ll report back how it performs.

Attached Files:

Foot dragger likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Some guys do all kinds of mods on these things,personally Ive never had any problem running them in stock form. Ive had 4 or 5 200's and a bunch of KTM 2 strokes in general. Just jet em right and they go.
    A 200 makes plenty of power to go as fast as humanely possible in most conditions. Ive tired different reed assemblies,never found much difference with them. To me,a Gnarly pipe takes away more top end than it adds to bottom end. On some bikes anyway.
    The current older 200 Ive got has a Gnarly pipe and it revs pretty darn hard. Some need a JD jet kit and some are fine with out it.

In olden days I had a twin shock 495 KTM,people say they were monsters but mine was a pussycat to ride,just went really fast and had no brakes.
    Totally over whelmed the little drum brakes. I put in thicker base gaskets on that one by quite a bit,to make it easier to kick mostly.
    That also raised the ports up and made it pull way harder on top. Which was the last thing it or me needed.
    Would get ripping down a fireroad just letting it howl,and realize no effing way am I making the next corner,no way. I sailed off the road and through the trees once or twice on that thing,sketchy.
    The only real issues were it hated to turn,really didnt like to stop,and made way more than enough power.
  15. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Ready to ride! Have loop planned for mañana with some friends. Can’t wait to see how it runs.

Attached Files:

16. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Resized_20201009_174710.jpeg
    Foot dragger and 1962siia like this.
  17. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Bike runs great! I set the power valve to tractor mode and it felt great in the muddy snotty single track today. Did I mention I hate riding with a chainsaw on the front? Well I do but it came in very handy today clearing the trails we were on. Pics tomorrow.

I think the bike is leaking oil at the countershaft. I'm going to order a new o ring for behind the collar.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    That chromed sleeve that slides over the countershaft can start getting a groove in it where the seal touches . They might come as a kit even.
    I have used a spring puller to get behind the seal and pop it out.
  19. 1962siia

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had replaced it recently before the rebuild and the kit came with new seal, collar and o ring. Its leaking down the splines so I assume the oring is the issue.
  20. Dick Moarass

Dick Moarass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20210106-173903_Gallery.jpg Hey all. A guy brought in a 83 kdx 200 for me to get running for him. Actually it's for a guy from Africa who is here working and going back soon. I cleaned the carb and the bike fired right up! It's very clean and in great shape for its age. But, the guy will be using it in Africa for travel between villages, etc. It has now a 13/52 sprocket combo. Me thinks that is way too low for traveling at higher speeds. I'm not sure what to change it to. Any input is appreciated!
    Foot dragger likes this.