1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F looks like an ideal mountain trail machine

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 22, 2011.

1. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Yup, happened upon it riding around Idaho Springs the other day. There are some interesting sections.

How do the side lugs hold up on that? I'm getting a lot of chunking on the sides with whatever is on there now.
  2. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    +1 for the MT21 / MT43 combo
  3. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    What kind of bikes\riding are you guys doing with the MT21's?

Seems like people typically put them on bigger bikes doing more dual sport stuff from the reviews I see online. I'm a little hesitant since they don't look as aggressive as a full knobbie and on-road performance isn't really a consideration for me. I throw the bike in the truck to get to the trails and I really just have it plated to connect trails where necessary. I'm looking for something 95-100% dirt and I'd like to find something that doesn't chunk the sides quickly, but at the same time, I definitely prioritize performance over tire life.
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I'm currently trying out the Geomax MX 32s on both my 350 and 300.
    I really like the performance in both rocky single track and desert so far.

No idea how they are going to hold up yet, but that's not a huge concern of mine as I like to have fresh tires on whenever I can and I don't do much pavement at all.
  5. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have them on my 450. It sees single track, Moab slickrock, desert running. Yes they are DOT but I need that becasue the 450 is plated. I have not been lacking for traction with these tires. And when it's time to replace the non-DOT tires on my 350, I will likely go with these.
  6. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Tis' a fun trail for sure... and the crawlers keep it changing by the day.

The M-59s holds up well. You will still shred the side knobs if you're doing a lot of high speed trenched up singletrack like in Taylor Park, but they hold up as good or better than any other knobby I've tried (which is a lot). The plus for me is they have a strong sidewall that allows me to still run lower air pressure (11-12psi) at speed through stuff like your picture without flatting often or destroying rims too quickly.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Several friends run them on their 500 and 300 EXCs for rides that involve a lot of rocky trails/gravel and pavement to connect the trails because they are very durable and not prone to tearing or punctures. They give very good grip for a dot legal offroad tire.

For pure offroad use in hare scrambles and trails that don't have a lot of rocks, they like the Dunlop Geomax AT81. Grip great but much softer carcass and faster wearing than the MT21s.

I mainly trail ride and have to ride a lot of slab to get to the trails and am very happy with the grip and durability of the MT21s on my 250.
  8. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    +1
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Has anyone been adv-touring with one of these?

Can it do the job a..... wr250r does.... Like pack up your stuff and ride superslab 2 states away with your camping gear then hit the trails?
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    It can if you don't mind having to doing the routine maintenance more often due to the high mileage traveled.

RTE makes a rack for it. Huge pic so I didn't link it directly.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img193/4352/imgp0236ku.jpg