1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F looks like an ideal mountain trail machine

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I hope you get the next one that comes in last week! :huh

You must just be excited to get a killer bike! :D
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Rode Hitchcock's (shorebill) 350sx yesterday at VDR...very nice!
    Loved it. Cracked open the throttle too quickly and up went the front wheel.

Also rode a 450xc-f. Holy shit fast. I don't weight that much, nor do I want to hurt myself and I'd say too much for my needs. FI fueling is awesome on these bikes.

The 350 is indeed the perfect Goldilocks.
    Always loved the middle of the ground power from my XR400 and the Ktm 350 is the next evolution by a long shot.
  3. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Yes, Bill did that to me too... Let me ride his 350 & Now I'm in the market for a new bike. there's a KTM dealer in Rock Springs, WY with a new '13 350 EXCF for $8800 if that trips your trigger.
  4. nmdave7

nmdave7 two wheel junkie

Oddometer:

Just got back from Baja on mine. 6 days, 1100 miles, a totally worn out rear tire and NO PROBLEMS, not even a flat!!!:lol3

Ive done a couple of 3-4 day trips on it, always hotel/motel no camping off ityet, but planning this summer.
  5. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer called today; my 350xcf-w should be here friday. :clap
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ah man he has you hooked too. Thanks for the tip. :D
    Maybe it's like a friend w/ a boat, just go ride his.
    I've changed my $ priorities from getting a smaller dirtbike to getting a cheaper RV so we can hang out in Baja for the winter. I'll just throw my DR on the back and call it good. Not enjoying winter weather what so ever anymore.
  7. Patj551

Oddometer:
    I called the WY dealer this AM & offered them $8200 cash today & pickup bike Tuesday. No dice. $8800 was their response. An hour & half later I called & offered $8500 cash. Still no deal. $8800 IS THEIR BOTTOM DOLLAR! I was pretty surprised they let the deal go.

Yup, I'm over winter too! Got the Toy Hauler & might just see you down in Baja next winter!
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind driving, RMATV is a KTM dlr and I've heard of some good prices coming out of there.
  9. Patj551

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris...I'll keep that in mind if I can't find a good local deal.
  10. BuilderScott

BuilderScott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl

:clap

:freaky

11. Patj551

Oddometer:
    You're funny Scott! I still LOVE MY WR!!! Put the Rekluse on it a few days ago & did not like it all! Kept tinkering with the settings & finally got it feeling pretty good. I geared it higher for some high speed stuff & rode it around the neighborhood grinning ear to ear! We'll see how it feels in Moab.

BTW, yesterday I stopped in at Moto Adventure in Loveland. TheDudeAbides set up a test ride on a Beta 350RR. I like the Beta a lot. THANKS DUDE!! Felt really good. I'm just tired of messing with jetting, plus I like the idea of KTM's PDS rear shock. Not having linkage hanging down to snag on obstacles seems like a good idea!
  12. BuilderScott

BuilderScott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW - Went to VDR today, really fun. Let me know if you want to meet up for some 'training'. :freaky
  13. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you still here on the east side? I wish I would have known, we could have done lunch!!!! If you want to test ride my 350 xcf-w you are welcome to it. Depending on what I hear from the ortho on Monday regarding my shoulder MRI it might not be getting much action for awhile. :cry
  14. Patj551

Oddometer:
    Dog gone it Griz! What happened to your shoulder? I'm so sorry! :cry

Thank you for the offer to ride your NEW BIKE! Wish I'd have known! I would definitely have taken you up on it. I'm exploring an option with a 350 xcf-w and factory lowering kit. Hopefully I'll hear something this week. In the meantime, heal well my friend!!! Say "Hi" to Rick for me!
  15. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Pat - just got the MRI results today. 6 weeks of PT helped but then I stalled with recovery so we did the MRI. I have a posterior labrum tear and a 1.5 cm long head bicep tendon tear - they are related to each other and are a result of a recent injury, i.e., splitting wood and tossing it into a pile behind me (BAD, BAD, BAD) during flood clean up. We are trying a steroid injection (given today) as a last ditch effort to avoid surgery and will know in two weeks. With surgery I will be off of bikes for 2 months, then I can ride but nothing hard nor very long days until about the 4 month mark. Time will tell. PLEASE let us know next time you are over this way! It would be so good to see you!
  16. Patj551

Oddometer:
    Argghhh!! That stinks! Fours years ago, I had my right shoulder reconstructed- 3 of the 4 tendons completely torn and the 4th hanging on by a thread. The good news is surgery was EXTEMLY SUCCESSFUL and the right shoulder is now my strong one. The left is still messed up it's "workable." Sending you hopes for speedy and successful recovery!

I'm going to visit my brother over Easter and then do a Moab ride. I'm planning on riding my WR290F. I'm working a deal on a 2014 350 XCF-W. I'll keep you posted.

Hugs to you and Rick!
  17. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys have suggestions for tires on these things out here?

I only have 3 days on it, but the stock Maxxis looks like it may only have a day or two left. At first, I was thinking MT43, which I imagine would be awesome for rocks and more technical stuff, but I get the impression that it might not be all that great for steering with the rear. Looking for something 95% off road, preferably DOT, but doesn't really have to be considering I really only use the plate for connecting trails.

Looking at the book, they're saying Metzeler 6 Days or MX51 (non-DOT) which both seem like good options, but I thought I'd see if you guys have other thoughts :ear
  18. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with the M21 rally cross on my 450. It's DOT also.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    they held tight.
    i picked up a drz400e for $500 & calling that good.
    will need some minor work, but nothing crazy.
    would love to have a ktm 350, but i have my eye on Toyota RVs. :evil
    need a future winter escape plan and living pod...drz mounted hitched on the back.
    none to excited about this colorado thing called snow. wife collects retirement in a few years, seasonal work for me, all our monthly debt is going away. might just park on a beach in baja.
    maybe in a few years when the price has dropped to 1/2 or less on those 350s.

20. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    How often are you guys changing the oil on these? I just did the first post break-in oil change at 18h since the last one (service manual calls for every 15h) and the oil looked damn near new. Have any of you guys sent the oil off for analysis to see how long you can really go? I'm using Motorex 10w-60 btw.