1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F looks like an ideal mountain trail machine

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 22, 2011.

1. nmdave7

nmdave7 two wheel junkie

Oddometer:
    I do every 25 hrs. 15 is ridiculous unless you're really abusing it. I have 160 hrs/4000 miles on mine and still hasn't even needed a valve adjustment yet!
  2. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe I'll change it at 15h next time and send it off for analysis just out of curiosity. Then try 20, 25, etc and see how far we get.
  3. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I rode one. It is amazing. Like my 300 two stroke without the mixing drama and low rpm issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  4. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Anybody try an MT43 on one of these around here? I ran through the stock rear in 7 days, so it's time for something else and while I do have a 6 days sitting around that I got for cheap, I keep hearing everybody talking about these quasi-trials tires.
  5. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    The mt43 is going to be nice in the gnarlier stuff for sure. Aggressive breaking and cornering takes a little time to get used to but other than that they are a no brainer for me. They last a bit longer and generally will not tear up trails as much. BUT they are pointless unless you run the proper pressure and the proper pressure is LOW. Like 10lbs max, as low as 6 if you are in the real gnar taking it easy on the big hits or have a working tubliss (ha ha). If you don't like that idea you'll be better of with a knobbie.

BTW i don't ride a 350 but this applies to any trail worthy machine IMO.
  6. big_sur

Oddometer:

Care to expound on that part a little?
  7. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:

Leaning the tire over will result in running it on the no tread sidewall. On braking (full lock) the lugs act sort of as one vs like a shovel as knobs do. Also, massive spinning will result in lugs lost to the dirt gods.

That said, being able to start on a hill-any hill without drama is a lot of fun.
  8. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    Oooooo, damn 350's are lighter than I am. :lol3
  9. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    The rear is more likely to slide out on downhill or flat off camber breaking due to the lack of side knobs as MP mentioned. The cornering isn't as big a deal if you run low pressure because the tread will remain flat on the ground until you get way leaned over. If your goal is riding as fast as you can through the woods on moderate terrain then its probably not the best choice. If you want to float through really hard terrain with the best traction possible, they are supreme.

I rode a brand new mt43 with about 50 lbs in it one morning while trying to get the bead to set. Downright terrifying!!!

I also feel that a perfectly pressured trials tire compliments the front end quit a bit too. Seems to make the front a tad lighter feeling over the small choppy stuff.
  10. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I guess I'll order one up and try it out. I suppose I can always go back to a knobby if I don't like it.
  11. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Interesting Tom...I've wondered about them but I also have been told they're not so good on high speed. Definitely "cheaters" on low speed gnar. Is that consistent with your experience?
  12. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    THat might be the case, I'm not a fast enough rider to really feel any drawbacks when I'm moving at my top speed. I use one because i'm a 99% trail rider. If i was riding jeep passes or higher speed open desert stuff even just half the time i was on the bike, I'd probably use a knobbie.
  13. 29andSingle

29andSingle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will have one for sale after tomorrow. Never ridden. Just mounted and it doesn't fit in my swingarm. $60 4.0x18
  14. big_sur

Oddometer:
    I already ordered one up, but let me get a ride or two on it and see how I like it. Might grab that for an extra depending on how it goes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I just picked up one of these for my 350 and going to try it out.

[​IMG]

http://slavensracing.com/shop/vee-rubber-vrm-300-gncc-tackee/

I still run trials rear/tubliss on the 300 and am switching out the MT for a Dunlop. I like the feel of the softer Dunlop much better and don't do any dual-sport on that bike anyway.
  16. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    The downside to a trials tire is that once it breaks loose there is no predictability (other than being able to predict a lot of sliding around:lol3). A knobby is predictable in a slide, so when you set up for a corner the rear follows in a predicatable arc allowing you to steer with the throttle/brake. I run into to problems when I forget a trialer back there and try to ride it like a knobby. It can be hair-raising.

Thanks Gordy! I'm glad someone is Guinnea-Pigging those tires. Let us know what you think!
  17. SUPERRIDE

SUPERRIDE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are many reasons to run a trials tire. One is: if you want to make less of an impact on our delicate singletrack, be a more responsible rider and get a lot of traction in almost every type of terrain, then run a trials tire with 10 psi or less.

Trials are not for racing and going fast. :evil
  18. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Interesting, let us know how that goes. I might be interested in something like that.
  19. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Awesome post in a thread about a bike that is designed for racing and going fast.

:lol3
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Wait, what is KTMs sales slogan? Doesn't that apply to all KTMs?
    http://www.ktm.com/ktm-ready-to-race.html

MT43 tips: Air up to at least 14psi if you are going to be doing paved highway. I cooked one at 10psi last summer. We only did about 8 miles of 65mph pavement.

If trials tires aren't good for racing, how come they outlawed them at Endurocross? :deal

For real fun, try a radial trials tire at low pressure. If connecting on highway, don't go above 45mph, regardless of pressure. If you get a flat, riding out on it is not an option. Sidewalls are incredibly soft.