1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F looks like an ideal mountain trail machine

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 22, 2011.

1. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we'll see how it goes. Honestly, I'm pretty skeptical if you can't steer with the rear, but who knows, we'll see. That tackee looks really promising too if you can get the best of both worlds.
  2. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Got the MT43 on last night and went for a ride with fellow inmate after work today. Much better for hard surfaces, but noticeably worse in loose and you don't have the control when spinning that you do with a knobby. That said, we did some stuff today that looked more difficult with a knobby so it's probably going to stay on, at least for the summer now that the high country is opening up and it's pretty much all rocks. I think I would definitely prefer a knobby further south where there aren't as many rocks, but in the mountains, this thing is hard to beat.
  3. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    You must have got a bad one. I've cruised those at 70+ on my 450 for many miles and never ran more than 8 psi.
  4. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Anybody have some suspension setting recommendations for trail riding around here? I think I'm reasonably happy with the back but the front leaves something to be desired (pretty nasty deflection on rocks), though I haven't really messed with either.
  5. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried all the settings in your manual? Have you read your manual? Have you tried a lower oil level? Have you tried a lower viscosity oil like a 2.5 wt? What are your complaints with the forks. There is a lot of things that you can do for yourself and not spend a pot full of money. Go to KTMTalk and post in the suspension forums, lots of help there. Have you read your manual? Huh, have you? Good luck.
  6. big_sur

Oddometer:
    No, I just randomly poke at it until it starts working.[​IMG]
  7. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep poking, you'll hit on something that works.
  8. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Have you set the sag on the forks? You probably all ready know all this but.........They have adjustable preload. If you weigh more than a 160lbs you may be riding too deep in the stroke. That would cause the forks to feel a little harsh. If you add preload, make sure you go in a few clicks on the rebound(+). If your preload seems about right, back out the compression reb a bit (-).
  9. big_sur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did set preload, F&R. It's not really that it's terribly harsh, I just get some crazy deflection on occasion in the rocks, like where the front end jumps two feet sideways. I just moved here so I'm not sure what the typical suspension treatment is for, I'm-riding-through-rock-gardens-all-day. More rebound dampening?
  10. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I would think less rebound damping (-). I feel like there is a happy speed for riding through rocks, too slow and the front end is all over the place.
    Keep you body position aggressive and allow the bike to "dance" below you. YMMV.

[​IMG]
  11. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:

Well I think becausee Maxxis was the official sponsor...and they don't make a trials tire!

I love my trials tire btw.:lol3
  12. multimoto

multimoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 350 EXC-F and its bad ass. I love my trials tire too..

Here is the last vid I did a while ago.. click the rest of my vids - all the KTM stuff is on the 350.. they are epic.
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WuTuTnr4C8E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  13. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Excellent video. I cranked it up to 11 and watched it all celebrating the fact I just put a deposit on a 2014 350 EXC. I plan on picking it up once I'm back from going to the MotoGP race at Indy.

I can't wait to ride it!
  14. multimoto

multimoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha! Did you like the music? Its my band from the 90's. I am on the guitar.

Here is another one from a couple weeks ago to get you frothing.. this time with some jazz..
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vPMb1y6AplE?list=UUYemhjg2N995cR-bM96GOUA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  15. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Much thanks! I like the soundtrack as well as the video.

Thanks for keeping me pumped up about this!
  16. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    image sent from the dealer today. i can't wait to pick this up!

:freaky

[​IMG]
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

very nice vids and soundtrack...:thumb

i would guess the track is up in kernville or piute?
  18. big_sur

Oddometer:
    So I've had the MT43 rear for a while now and it is a truly awesome tire for the high country. You definitely are compromising aggressive cornering and it's a little sketchy downhill and in loose stuff, but the amount of traction you have in rocks and hard terrain is incredible.

[​IMG]

Anybody have any recommendations for a front tire suitable to our terrain around her? I tried an mt43 front on another bike and didn't really like it so I'd prefer to stick to a knobbie; bonus points for DOT. :ear
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Have you tried MT-21s? They are very durable with stiff carcasses, and give good grip both onroad and off.
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Spring Creek?

Bridgestone M-59 is my favorite front for trail riding.