The 2017 Zero Electric - Beauty & Beast - Mike Mas

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by IdleUp, Dec 4, 2016.

1. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2017 Zero Electric - Beauty & Beast - Mike Mas

Hello Adventure Riders - I wanted to share with you guys my new “2017” Zero DS-R Dual Sport bike I recently acquired. The scope of this post is not to talk anyone into buying an electric bike but rather share this amazing technology. Having owned over 100 gas powered bikes in the past 45+ years, this bike is a total departure from the norm. I’ve been building and riding electric bikes on a smaller scale since the 80’s, beginning with lead acid cells and working up to Li-Po. More recently, I’ve been involved with electric mountain bikes with mid-motor 1000 watt electric power capable of speeds of over 40 mph.

[​IMG]

Getting back to Zero - don’t think for a minute this is some electric scooter, this lightweight weighs only around 400 pounds, has a range of 125-175 miles and puts out almost twice the torque of a lot of crotch rockets. For 2017, the Zero “R’s” advantage is a more efficient lighter weight pack, a massive 775 amp controller and a propriety electric motor developing 77 h.p. This bike is faster than 90% of the bikes you’ll meet up with on the road.

Unlike a Combustion bike - the Zero puts out 100% of its full 116 ft lbs. of torque instantaneous at any speed. With its direct drive output - there is the absence of an engine, gears, clutch and their associated weight. Also, unlike a geared bike which only produces peak torque only at certain rpm range in each gear, the Zero is at full torque all the time. This means while they are feathering the clutch for a take off and shifting and winding through 5-6 gears, the zero is “Full On” at the split second you twist the throttle. This amazing technology equates hang on to the bars, 0-60 times of below 3 seconds.

[​IMG]

Another beauty of this technology - is the folks at Zero designed an Smartphone app that allows you to program your own hp, torque, and regen braking in a “Custom” program on your iPhone which is Blue-tooth to the bikes processor. This allows you to taylor the bike’s performance exactly as you wish. Since I live 20 minutes from Suches, Georgia, I have a program made specifically for the twisty roads. My program includes full Regen Braking, so I never touch the brake and my torque curve is set perfectly for pulling out of the turns.

[​IMG]

In Conclusion - if you’re bored with your present two-wheel - or just looking for a second bike, do yourself a favor and go drive on of these. There’s a certain beauty of zipping down a country road at 60 mph and still hear the birds chirp - or the resulting enjoyment and unprecedented performance when you pull up along a guy who thinks he’s got a quick bike - It’s almost priceless, this bike is a true “Sleeper”!

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Regards - Mike Mas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Klr65009

Klr65009 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to ride several of these bikes when Zero brought three bikes to our dealership for test rides.I was very impressed by the power and handling of them,I liked the dualsport one most.after a couple miles to get acquainted I put it in sport mode and was very impressed.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    i love these bikes and it's already on my short list of must-have bikes! tho they are a bit steep in price ($16K) and short of range (95 miles) for the type of riding i want to do with it.
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Ten years ago I was so against the idea of an electric motorcycle. But now with technology getting better...

A few years ago I bought my kid one of the little OSET electric trials bikes. Im now fascinated with having my own adult sized offroad/trials bike. For me the number one reason is the lack of noise/stealth factor.
    Being able to ride areas normally offlimit to dirtbikes due to noise is incredibly huge.
    Dont think it would ever replace my 2T dirtbike but it would certainly have its use.
    Whirldog71 and SlugRider like this.
  5. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply's - yes they are pricey, when you compare the cost you can buy a lot of "other" motorcycle. While I'm not trying to justify the price, these high tech Lithium batteries are running close to $1,000 per KW. For the most part, all you'll ever do is put tires on this bike. If you set the regeneration like I did for braking, you might never need to put pads on this pup.

Keep in mind, the 2017 is a departure from the 2016 models, it's like an entire different bike with regard to torque and acceleration.

Regards
  6. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's road taxes in your state?
  7. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I want one. :tb

But the range...

I could easily get by with a car only getting 90 miles, but a motorcycle? That'd be tough.
  8. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok!

Oddometer:
    If you like the DSR, wait till you get on the SR. Of the 3 models, I like the SR best. I was going to buy one until some "sacs douche"
    decided to rear end me last month and total my Tiger 800.

Also, not to sound like an alarmist, but the 10% Federal Tax incentive that these bikes qualify for is going to run out on Dec 31, 2016.
    I mean, 10% doesn't sound like much but $1500 off of a $15k bike does help. If they don't renew that tax credit, I suspect it will
    definitely have an impact on sales. Especially at the dealership I work at.
  9. ryandeanfranks

ryandeanfranks n00b

Oddometer:
    I would definitely consider one of these bikes as a commuter, for sure. Maybe now that the tech is catching up to where it needs to be, they deserve another look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  10. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is not much difference in bikes, the DSR has a little more travel, high fenders, knobby tires, etc. - I wanted the dual sport so I can get off the highway at times.
  11. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode a '15 SR for an afternoon. I was duly impressed. More power, torque, and range for '17...sounds even better. I loved the virtual silence of the SR, but the DSR or other enduro Zero bikes would be, because of the silence, awesome on fire roads, and easy single track, etc.
    tristanvons likes this.
  12. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    I haven't been paying an attention to electric bikes, this one just got my attention. thanks for sharing.
  13. California

California Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Lantana, TX...after 56 years in Carmel Valley, Ca.
    I have access to hundreds of acres and a few miles of trails near my home, but the nanny neighbors call the LEO everytime someone goes wheeling, they're alerted by the noise. I've been thinking about the possibility of an electric and this has made me even more interested. I'm going to go check them out....
    Bucho likes this.
  14. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its the same thing with Air Rifles now - for the first time with Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles. they have good velocity of some lower caliber rifles and they are dead quiet - no one knows you out there!
  15. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    As much as I like and respect Scott harden, that bike is a 'up right standard" but not a dual sport, very fun sure, very sexy yeah but a dual sport is not, the seat to foot peg relationship is totally in the wrong position and is very hard to get around..

City bike, hell yeah, gravel roads maybe but "dual sport" not even close..

Beside zero's need zero :spam: around here.
  16. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply - but I'm not sure what you meant?

"Beside zero's need zero :spam: around here."

Thanks
  17. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good write up on the zero
    I would love to go electric but still out of my price range, i'm trying to figure out how to afford an electric mnt bike lol.
    Out here you need some range or a back up plan but almost doable without worries now.
    How does gravel/four wheel drive roads type of riding effect range? Would you get 150 miles out of a charge?
  18. klp

klp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great real world review and pics. Those are big power numbers, can you release your inner hooligan with wheelies and wheelspin or is it hobbled by traction/wheelie control?

116 ft/lbs sounds like black stripes out of every turn to me.
  19. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mileage actually goes up on off-road because of the lower speeds - the biggest reduction in range is speed - if you know you're not going to make your destination by taking side roads and keeping you speed down you can double or triple your highway range.
  20. ryandeanfranks

ryandeanfranks n00b

Oddometer:
    The more I read, the more interested in this I get...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk