The 2017 Zero Electric - Beauty & Beast - Mike Mas

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by IdleUp, Dec 4, 2016.

1. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not telling anyone to dump their ICE bikes - but if you're looking for a second machine or some new screws to turn - this thing is totally different technology. It's worth the extra buck just to see the faces on guys as they vanish in your mirror!
    a1fa likes this.
  2. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    So it has no trans, engine, clutch etc and it costs more. I pay more and get less? The technology changes weekly so the zero you buy today is obsolete very soon. Oh and dealerships. Maybe we won't talk about that.
    The price has doubled in the last few years. My wages are the same. Why does everyone think they need to get stinkin rich? Why can't folks just make a living?

Everyone wants to make a million dollars but don't price your product at $1,000,000 and fail to move any product.
    Price it at $1 and sell a million of them.

This would be interesting for no more than about $8000.
    I have been following Zero since the beginning and would welcome such a machine because it is capable of 90% of the riding I do but it's priced way too high. Complex battery system, controller, electronics and computers bristling upon it. All of these things are very well known failure points of most any vehicle. The less of these things, the more reliable. Yes, I know that electronics are cheaper. Now we are back to the money thing, eh?

Also, I have not had as many bikes as you but I ride them, not drive them. :-)
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a hoot on the roads of north GA like Wolf Pen Gap/60/Blood Mountain/Richard Russell Parkway. How does this bike do on Flatlands road or Tray Mountain outside of Helen? Does it handle the creek crossings of Helton Creek alright? Have you done the river crossing on Charlies Creek/Hightower road with it? I'd like to meet up at TWO some day and see how it handles a real dual sport ride.:deal
  4. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I never heard it called that.
  5. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what driving and riding has to do with anything - but you need to get up to speed yourself regarding electric bike technology - Lithium is close to $1000 Kw and this bike is 13.6 Kw so that means there is $14,000 in just cells, so nobody is ripping anybody off here. Of course battery technology gets better each year.

The 2017 Zero model has finally reached a level that is more than adequate to compete and in most cases out perform most other ICE and electric bikes, the 2017 is now faster than the Lighting Electric model at half the price. The range is 100-200 miles and with quick charging you're unlimited. You're also forgetting the cost of the new technology electric motor - controller - charger etc. these are not free either!

The 2017's Zero's speed is faster than most "Quick" bikes as well, easily reaching under 0-60 in less than 3 sec. I just rode with my buddy who has a new Augusta Dragster RR and the zero walks from it. Even off road electric will dominate since electric has 100% torque all the time, when guys are downshifting to go through mud the electric powers right through it - remember an ICE bike only developes full torque at one narrow range of speed in each gear while the Zero is 100% all the time.

Also with electric bikes "Less Is More" no engine - transmission - clutch means there is Zero maintenance and "No Wear" all you do is put tires on this bike, even the brake pads don't wear since Battery Regen slows the bike when riding.

On a final note - you can get that $8000 for a high performance electric bike out of your head - you'll be waiting a long time!

Ride Safe - Mike

z10.jpg
    Hicountryrider, munchmeister and a1fa like this.
  6. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    I'd call it a good 'value' - the price is high but you get a lot of benefits (torque, lower maintenance, quiet, etc). I understood it best after test rides (DSR, FXS, FX). However, being a 1 bike guy; I can't see ride & camp working unless I tow it to camp. Excellent commuter & day rides.
    Keep a spare belt or be ready to convert to chain drive if you enjoy off road.
    That hollow rear axle would be perfect for a trailer.
    Enjoy your new wheels!
  7. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply - if you live in the woods like I do you're right its a day trip bike - however with the tank charger you can pop the battery is 30-60 minutes. There's already been a few guys who hit the four points of the US in a Zero Electric - by planning the trip via charging stations.

Here's a 20,000 mile trip on a Zero

Here's another trip 40,000 miles - (Not For Me)

Omnimo likes this.
  8. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean?
    Yeah, Ben & Terry are doing some impressive things.
  9. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bone stock the Zero comes with a 110 volt wall socket 1300 watt charger which takes 6-8 hours - they have a fast charger you can buy from zero that fits in the fake fuel tank compartment which allows you to "Quick" charge at charging stations using the same connector as the Chevy Volt, Cadillac ELR, and Tesla charging connectors
  10. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a few option for the Zero - the third image down is the charging station -you can also add a 3.3 kw additional battery pack - as you can see none of this stuff is cheap - Lithium is now around $750 a Kw.

tank.jpg
  11. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IdleUp,

Thanks for posting.

I think these should be fantastic machines. All available power available all the time, silent, no heat, no fumes, no warmup, etc.
    I would think for a commuter, LE Bike, or city life it would be perfect. My issue is that I live in Iowa and not in a city so I would be most interested in your actual mileage ridden until dead on calm, windy days or other variables. Real world range is my question.

I would also be interested in your charge times using standard 110.

I know there are estimates made by the company but since you have one I would love to see real world figures.

Thanks again and enjoy whispering along on your new ride.

TG
  12. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seldom run my battery flat - the other day it was down to 19% I plugged it in around 6 pm and when I went to bed at 11 pm it was full charged. They say 6-8 hours, it charges at around 1300 watts so it works on any 110 volt wall socket.
  13. klp

klp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look at the numbers this bike should float the front tire and leave black stripes out of every turn if you wish. Is this the case or is it hobbled by nannies?
  14. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    1st, welcome to the club. these bikes are sooooo much fun it really can't be explained without riding the things.

i'm interested to hear you say the '17 is a completely diff monster than the '16. i know there were changes, but thought they were also tempered.

as for the sub 3 sec 0-60 times....you can get one and have proof, then i will believe it. my FXS is supposed to get 0-60 in 3.7 sec but i've never seen it. don't get me wrong they are very fast, but its so different you're almost fooled into thinking it's lightspeed.

i love my FXS and do not regret a minute of having it but it just isn't quite there yet for racing, and sometimes i wish i could do more. especially on days like this...

between motor temp issues, battery temp issues, charging issues, my time out on track is severely limited. at one point the next weekend when i was racing others on ICE bikes, my battery temp was so high my power was reduced by almost 50%. a straight i was hitting 70mph, i topped out at 37mph. problem was there was no time for anything to cool. either the motor was hot from running so hard while on the track that it limited, or the batteries were so hot from charging and draining so quickly, they wouldn't charge. if i had another 8 batteries, and 2 more super chargers (i have 2 already) i'd be fine and the ICE bikes wouldn't stand a chance. problem is that would be $20,000+ investment, where as i can buy a set of SM wheels for the 525 for about $600.

now that was racing, if you just a commuter or a typical rider the new Zero's are perfect for you. they have plenty of range, power out the ass but still very controllable, very easy to ride, very easy to maintain, and very cheap to run once bought. my current cost per mile is $0.007.

if you have never ridden one, you really should find a shop and take a test ride. they will let you out on any demo they have and you will come back with a smile.

laters,

laramie :beer
  15. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    on another note there might be enough of us now to start our own "Zero Owners" thread going. :clap

laters,

laramie :beer
    munchmeister likes this.
  16. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove a 16 DRS at a dealership and when you climb on the 17 its like a totally different bike all together with regard to torque and power - the new PM motor and the 780 amp controller dumps juice in this motor and the performance is outstanding - you better be hanging on when you twist it open.

The performance between the 16 and 17 is like comparing a Honda ST1300 then climbing on a fast C rocket!
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They claim a range of 125-175 miles, what is your experience with that? What about easy cruising at 30-50mph? Do you think you could exceed 175 miles? This past summer on a trip, I we had a leg of the trip that was going to push the boundaries of our fuel capacity, it was 230 miles of dirt road between towns. We took it easy and I managed to get 85mpg from my bike by keeping speeds 30-50mph. Basically unheard of mileage, if you had to, do you think you could do that on the zero?

I am very interested in these electric bikes. I see a lot of electric dirt bikes rated for an hour of riding. I wonder if that could be stretched to all day. My dirtbike with a 2 gallon gas tank can be drained in an hour of wide open throttle riding but typically is good for an entire day of trail riding.
  18. IdleUp

IdleUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get 125 miles with normal driving but in cold weather it gets down to 100 - When I'm riding, I generally assume 100% is 100 miles and you're plenty safe. One of the advantage of the Zero is if you find you'll be out of battery 20 miles from home, all you have to do is slow to 20-30 mph (get home mode) and your mileage will over double. One guy did a figured get could get 4 times the milage at around 10 mph.

Hey - what the hell it beats pushing the bike I would be happy to do 10 mph if it gets me home.

If you have the bucks you can add an extra "Tank Battery" its adds 3.3 kw and will increase the mileage up to 200 miles of careful driving.
  19. jekaio

jekaio Ride The Lightning

Oddometer:
    Just got done with a test ride on the DSr.

Unbelievable power delivery in sport mode.

Once I get done with my cross country trip in '17 and settle down again, I'll consider one.

Shit eating grin material.

Test one if you had a dealer nearby.
    Omnimo and a1fa like this.
  20. Mischke302

Mischke302 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been test riding Zero's for about 2 years... They are a smile from ear to ear whenever I finish a ride... Bummer I can only afford 1 bike at a time and need a bike that can go 200-300 highway miles a day, otherwise I would have one....