The 2020 R18 GS thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrew, May 30, 2019.

1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW have shown their R18 now... and it's not just a concept, it's going to see production, and be released in multiple models, like the RNineT line... so, any guess on how long until we see that engine in a GS model?

2. smillerv2

smillerv2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say it will never make it into the GS lineup. More of a novelty than anything else, a good barhopper. That big of an engine in an air-cooled format will run REAL hot to meet Europe's emissions standards.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is not, and never will be, a GS. There are three threads in Road Warriors about that abomination!
    side-burn and simmo1 like this.
  4. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Almost as ugly as the ST.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it!! That's an awesome looking Big Twin engine.

The_Commander likes this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be a buzzkill but that engine may (will?) never turn into GS power plant... Logically thinking (yeah, I know I shouldn't :jack):
    - '19 R1250GS/As were just introduced so it's highly unlikely there'll be '20 R1800GS on top of current R1250s - even BMW couldn't look that disorganized...:lol3;
    - this is step back from LC platform which may be too far fetched too after running LC since '13/'14 and evolving it into 1250;
    - 1800ccm turns into ~110cuin so if it's really put into production, as it may, this is more likely to be competitor to 111cuin Indians or 114/117 Hardley Ablesons etc to attempt to take a slice of that market as GS/RT market is already owned;
    - going into the past since air/oilcooled GSs were introduced, displacement was going up by 50ccm from 1100=>1150=>1200=>1200LC=>1250. Following that logic, the highly likely GS successor is rumored R1300GS/A targeted for '22/'23 which coincides with how long BMW keeps a platform before new one is introduced...
    - there could be potentially few more reasons but those are main ones as I see them...

As there are coupla of threads with similar topic in Road Warriors, this may be combined into one Mega R1800 thread and have all info in one spot... :D
  7. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Now be nice, wouldja?? You call this fugly?? :lol3

12st.png

OK, maybe headlights were not the most visually appealing feature of the bike but it rode as good as RT if not better, had a decent weather protection and clip-ons height without being too hard on the wrists so it could've done better sales-wise... And, as fugly as they were, those headlights were turning night into day for what they were back in '05-'07... And, once you mount it, you can't see the fugly headlights anyhoot... :deal

R1200ST and V-Strom were two bikes that I got blown away with how well their headlights were working in the night as compared to others (GS/RT etc) - and those were the days prior to HID etc conversions... I haven't owned a ST myself but close acquaintance has while I had Wee back in '05 and we swapped rides quite often...
    Being as somewhat of a touring replacement for R1100S, BMW may have missed the market opportunity to redesign the headlights and make the bike more appealing - oh well, life went on and no one at BMW lost any sleep over it... :D
  8. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it, a bm version of the Rocket 3 Roadster is what I’m hoping for.
    A two up naked bike for big people.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    My tastes are suspect since I owned an R1200ST, but no, that is one fugly bike.

[​IMG]
    Andrew and Gezerbike like this.
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    R18 may turn out to be two-up naked bike for big people, but it's unlikely to be of GS variety... And, GS can carry 2-up big people no sweat but ain't naked...:D
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    2020 GS is sure to have cameras front and rear, adaptive cruise, collision avoidance braking, lane departure haptic feedback. Oh and Apple CarPlay with touch TFT.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  12. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Egzachary my point.

I would love a summer bike, with no screen.
    No screen on my GS does not work for me and my size/shape, I’d need to drop the whole cluster down the forks I suspect.
  13. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like them, would love a ride .
    Was the screen /fairing set up effective Jim or did it need modifications?
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It worked great for me as is from the factory. 5'8" with a long torso. Nice handling bike.
    dave 6h likes this.
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    You me and many others and that's about where it ends, would you actually buy one??:lol3
  16. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0845.jpg
    Here's one I saw at the BMW factory showroom last September....I like it a lot better than the R18
  17. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Not a true Gs But a variant .. kinda like where they took the RnineT and have a gs for the street. and the little 310 Gs for the street they could do the same ...very little extra cost to do those types of variants .. all engineering, frame engine done ... just attach some different plastic , shocks etc.
  18. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the R18. I think fits a need.
  19. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    To each his or her own, but I can't see the application for this machine...unless I get to dress like a pirate.
    Steve W. and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dress like a pirate? Like Harley owners? That’s 50% market share.