The 2020 R18 GS thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrew, May 30, 2019.

1. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Yes sir....Huge motor, low slung, 18 miles to the gallon and a peanut sized gas tank. What's not to like? I'll bet they'll giving them away for next to nothing or at least offering zero percent factory incentive (free) money.
  2. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. They’re as practical as nearly all choppers, custom bikes and bobber style bikes that are the rage.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not too concerned about the Big Boxer in the styling-exercise show bike but I might be more interested in this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ozcruiser likes this.
  4. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya reckon it will come with tft etc?:lol3
  5. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    In reality i could see that big "bagger" having a marketplace particularly in the US. My first thought as a similar bike is the big Guzzi.:*sip*
  6. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno. Those round instrument dials don't look very TFT-ish.

7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    How much are you betting? I'll see your bet, raise you and then I'll collect all of it... :lol3

It's BMW so it'll never be given away; it'll cost quite a bit as it'll be limited production (or so BMW will say to drum up the sales) and there may be a chance of having low-er factory incentive the year after but ain't gonna be 0%...

And, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it sells well - Hardley, Indian of similar style aren't sellin' all that great so that crowd is looking for something new, but similar, where to spend the extra monee burning hole in their pockets... :D
  8. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Was being sarcastic about pricing on the new BNW Whoppa Choppa.

Agree, big Harley-Indian type cruiser bikes are expensive with weakening sales. I'd rather see a stripped down air-oil cooled boxer (back to their roots sorta machine), but no one in German called or emailed to ask me what I wanted. Hope they enjoy their photo op and design exercise.
  9. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I was just keeping with the theme you started... :lol3

R9T Urban Classic Enduro whichever way it is called may be the most stripped down version of air-oil cooled boxer we'll ever see and which somewhat resembles R80G/S as great-grand-grandfather of current GSs...

Otoh, if you crave stripped down boxer, '06 HP2 Enduro may be your best bet... If you get lucky and find one w engine issues, you could put Camhead engine in and have the "last best" one... Or, you can even keep it as it is if it's well maintained although they command rather high pricing if in great shape...

:thumb
    Gezerbike likes this.
  10. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^My best bet would be a new 2020 HP2 with 19/17 or 21/17 tires. The R9T series is a bit small...Perhaps 7/8 of what they should (or could be).
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    '20 HP2 even LC w 21/17 wheels - that's like that song "Dream On" by Aerosmith... :lol3

Kidding aside, I doubt very much that direction BMW will take in the future will be more towards off-road - that's KTM territory and I think BMW is letting them have it... If you look at wheel/tire sizes change from Camhead to LC, you'll notice is more towards on-road rather than off-... As if, BMW is trying to catch-up to Duc Multi as it has been recognized as better on-road performer than GS - not that every rider of GS/A is particularly after that feature or is cross-shopping Multi...

HP2 line-up of bikes is most highly unlikely to ever happen again either, which is shame... Those bikes were created when money wasn't an object and, since money became an object afterwards, I'd think it's unlikely as apparently BMW has lost money on trying to move them since they were slow sellers when new being too expensive... It's few years after that they started to command high pricing as used ones, if you can find them for sale at all, as who owns any of them, isn't sellin'... And, I understand that as I'm not sellin' one I gots... :D
  12. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Now on a big GS LC. How big is it? Perfect for crossing a continent, but just a bit too large for everyday use. Currently sniffing the new KTM 790 Adventure (non-R) which has not yet reached the States. On paper, it looks like a nice (potential) do-it-all bike. I live in hope.
  13. firstime911

firstime911 SM

Oddometer:
    Is purely marketing.. i mean since R ninet already.. So if you like the look just buy it, if you think about collecting nooo!.. plus they will be a series of R18 coming out similarly like R ninet.

As for GS LC is still unclear the direction but i think they will go for Hybrid 2wd that will make more sense but who know 2023 might be the year.

For next year i think K engine and R ninet engine will be head to museum since Euro5 applied
  14. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    With the cam head motor not being able to meet Euro 5 specs, I can see this new motor being used in a R9T type of bike.
    I’m not a cruiser person, but that third prototype does tickle my fancy.:thumb
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    How big is LC GS? I'd say more you use it (as in more familiar and proficient with its dimensions), the smaller it becomes... :D

I commute on '16 GSA and while it looks ginormous (because it is :lol3), I don't feel it as riding a 6 axles tractor trailer... It does fit my purpose and more I ride it, more I think it's sized just right (for me that is) - ymmv... :deal
  16. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Mine is a '16 R1200GS (non-A). Gas tank is smaller than on the Adventure, but still a large bike. It is extremely well balanced and after 20,000 miles, it's comfortable and familiar like an old pair of shoes. Just getting older and looking around for something a bit smaller. Maybe a KTM 790 Adventure (non R) or a '19 CB500X with or w/o a RR kit?
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cause we need an 800 lb. dirt bike.
    Pabst likes this.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still do not know why this is in G-spot. There is no indication it will ever be a GS! :dunno
    scfrank likes this.
  19. Rebelheart

Rebelheart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not the fan of concept and to be honest cruiser crowd is getting smaller. R Nine T hit the spot for growing audience that likes classic looking street bikes. This one is a bit to bloated, smaller and more elegant cylinders would be much nicer looking
  20. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it has a good chance at success. There is still a significant cruiser market, whether they buy HDs or Indians.
    There is also a growing bobber/custom cruiser looking market.
    I think these will do well with younger, urban types (hipsters, yuppies, techies).
    Plus, this bike is just the beginning from what I read. There will be other variations built around it, including dressed up bikes.
    No matter what comes out, there are always people who will say it sucks. Same when the R9T plans were leaked.
    Many think the GS looks like shit. I dont but many out there do. Dont think that hurt the GS sales much.