The 2020 R18 GS thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrew, May 30, 2019.

1. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if it wasn’t in here, I’d not know about it.
    Of course, then it wouldn’t matter, known unknowns and all that shit.
    I find it a little odd the way some conversations are stifled here, being new and all.
    The thread will disappear when it’s run it’s course, as is right and proper.
    Spiegel and Rsquared like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because the mods move anything not GS related, except...

This IS G-Spot, not Boxer Spot.
    dave 6h likes this.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ...except what the mods themselves post? Gotcha. :lol3

I started this thread slightly tongue-in-cheek, looking at BMW's past boxer engine variations, which always have had a GS-ish model in the line. Would it be wholly out of the realm of all possible realities that they go an R18 GS? No... but pretty unlikely, given the weight of it. On the other hand, I'm sure Hans Bubba, somewhere, will through some desert knobs on one and go storming washboard and fireroads, just because.

And I agree entirely with @dave 6h this thread will die and go away when it's run its course.
    Mofrid likes this.
  4. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the R18 is stunning, if I could afford a second bike and wanted a cruiser this would be the one I would go after. Obviously not a touring machine, this looks like it would be fun for spins out in the country and day trips.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

6. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rather enjoyed the comments and discussion from the GS community LOL.
    Steve W. likes this.
  7. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh, that’s ok then.
    To expand a little on my earlier post, I look in here during leisure time, generally while eating brekky or dinner.
    Can’t check at work, the place is massive, I mostly only check the g spot, and if having a second cup the flea market and yo momma.
  8. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that I believe that that is supercharged.....
  9. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Nah, I don't believe it... BMW 4 wheel clunker division is quite familiar with twin scroll turboed gas engines therefore I bet my farm and all of my horses, donkeys, cows, sheep, piggies and chickins, it's twin scroll turbo charged engine... :lol3:clap
  10. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the R18? The R18 does not look like that or look like it would go well with panniers or saddlebags. The image above may have the same boxer engine but I would stay is a different model.
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the R1800 according to a spy-picture article in Motorrad magazine.

You can see a badge atop the motor but it doesn't look like "R18." The last digit shown seems to be a "0" with a small "4" following. No way does it look like a 4-cylinder boxer. Time will tell- maybe.

The great number of details on this bike would point to a model near-ready for production. Badges and that sort of thing are not normally revealed on secret test bikes. You can even see the indentations on the tank sides for a BMW roundel.

Everybody seems focused on the showbike retro. Those may be offered for sale too but I expect more mainstream platforms for the big engine will create more sales for BMW. A well-done tourer could displace the 1600 six-cylinder bikes that are not setting the world on fire these days.

My big question about this bagger is what the front-end looks like. I hope it's not another "face that only a mother could love" as was the old 1200C models with those odd-ball 4 headlights. Sheeze.

[​IMG]
  12. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    4 lights were least of the "issues" with R1200CLC... :lol3

clc.jpg
    Jontaff and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

hahahahaha

Yep

BUT - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

When those first came out, I was visiting Venture BMW in Birmingham AL and found one on a circular turning display. It was painted blue and had those 4 eyes.

An elderly (to me at the time) gentleman was standing there, staring intently at the bike as it rotated around and around. I came next to him and, carefully concealing my inner feelings, said "isn't that a sight to behold!" He turned to me just before I continued to say it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen and he remarked with great sincerity "That's the most beautiful motorcycle I've ever seen!" He then turned to an approaching salesman and said "I'll take it at whatever the price may be." and he did.

14. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well what do you think that the throttle body is attached to then? Sure looks like a blower to me... wish I had taken some close ups..
  15. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nice build quality to be sure, but man, the aesthetics are a trainwreck.
    NorthIdaho800gsa and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOl, yeah, I agree. But, again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people really liked it.

Ditto for the ill-fated Jar Jar Binks face of the ST model. Other than aesthetics, the ST should have been a great bike. One of my favorite bikes was the 07 R1200S that was a juiced-up version of a similar running gear.
  17. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a R1100S BCR. Thought it was pretty nice looking. The blue and white paint scheme was "just right". The R1200S seemed a little edgy to me. But my first BMW was a R100S, so that may have created a bias.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R1200S offered only 1 year (2007) was a big step up the ladder from the 1100. I kept mine about 8 years and reluctantly sold it because I am trying to sloooow doooown.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I hope you keep in touch with the buyer who has your R12S and you've conditioned the sale by having first refusal should he/she decide to sell it! That bike was so ahead of its time that's not funny!

Back in '07 ie. late '06 actually as it was pull-ahead '07 model, that was the lightest and yet highest HP rated boxer bike of them all... I haven't calculated power-to-weight ratio vs LC but both R12S ie. its spiritual replacement HP2S may still lead the pack of most powerful boxers ever made... And, sadly, there won't be replacements for either any time soon...

I'd suggest you buy yours back or get another one - they don't make 'em as they used to!! :D
  20. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop reminding me of all that!!! LOL

Nah, I got out of it for good reasons. When I was on it, I could not resist temptation.

I enjoyed the hell out of it for a long time. I even took it on a 2000+ mile trip with no problem.

By the way, I liked the looks of the 12S better than the subsequent HP2.

All water under the bridge now. Good memories, though.

Talk about thread drift !