The 2020 R18 GS thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrew, May 30, 2019.

1. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's the next bike that will replace my GSA eventually when I tire of being tall on the bike.
  2. Alex_Burton

Alex_Burton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a straight-arm to the throat of the H-D Touring Line IMCO.
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    It may be, if it makes it to the production... We'll see what will come out for '21 as, other than spy images, not much was said about that particular model for '20...
  4. Just Dave

Just Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R18...GS? Not gonna happen.
    OKBMW, Callisto224 and scottdc like this.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly, and for some reason still in G-Spot.
  6. Wanttoride95540

Wanttoride95540 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At some point will the engine displacement stop increasing? Every manufacturer"s idea seem to be more, more, more. Even vehicles, I wish we can strive for simpler, manageable options ...there are many features I can do without.... Merry Christmas everyone.
  7. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of larger and larger motors, what would the market be for a smaller shaft drive model line.

I rode BMWs back in the day that were lighter, smaller, had less power but took me all over the country and had shaft drive and minimal maintenance.

I'm not asking to turn back the clock but how about an 800cc Boxer w/ shaft drive GS weighing under 500 pounds. (there you go Jim - back to talking GS)
  8. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^

it'll stop when we start buying more of the smaller, less powerful, cheaper, simpler bikes already made

but while we live in dreamland and are continually sucked into buying bigger, more powerful, more expensive and complex bikes

they'll keep building and selling them:eek:(
    waybill likes this.
  9. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    At some point - maybe... :D

Power corrupts and there's no replacement for displacement... Was valid since Ford Model T and I don't see that trend slowing down - like it or not, that's the reality... Not to mention that there was a waiting list for latest R1250 GS/As and that entire allotment of bikes got (almost) sold out by end of Aug :deal

As we're talking R boxer developments here, since whatever year you pick as starting point, the engines were gaining ccm and power, sometimes slower, sometimes faster but it's always more - hasn't been less, ever! Short of few markets where higher displacement engines are heavily taxed and dutied so BMW would detune the engine to lesser HP output to be able to sell on those areas...

Tigher and tighter emission standards have caused Camhead R12 engine to be the last of air/oil-cooled after 90 years of production (1923-2013) and new LC R12 to be introduced. And, it's similar story as to why Shifty R1250 got introduced as a refresh model and displacement bumped for 50ccm. As BMW has increased the weight of 1250 over LC R12 which had increased weight over Camhead, logically, there'll have to be HP increase to keep up with the weight - and that's the vicious circle I don't see the end of... :cry

Add to that more and more gadgets with every subsequent platform and we get to the point that is one of my pet peeves and that's the price ie. what you get for it. Having always GSA in the garage, and liking the platform, I don't see the new bikes being worth the money to upgrade. That's not saying that there's no difference comparing to my old platform version, but the "juice isn't worth the squeeze" for me!

So, if there's a light at the end of the tunnel of more-more-more coming to an end that may be the price... Cruiser market is already seeing that through HD's, Indian's etc slower sales and it may not be long before we see it elsewhere as there are other options - lesser and/or cheaper and/or otherwise... :deal

Time will tell... :D
  10. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

I traded in my 17 RGS for the 790 ADV. I wanted more dirt ability. I definitely got that but realize now I really want 2 bikes. The GS was better on the road. Granted, sometimes you need both and the 790 is a better dual sport. So, there’s a market for both.

I don’t see myself ever entertaining this R18 monster. Bigger faster for me means an XR.
    side-burn likes this.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Based on the base R1800 it would make a crappy GS at 760 pounds.
  12. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No more hill climbing, just barge straight through.
    scfrank and JimVonBaden like this.
  13. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can have one, she’s just going to have to stay home and clean or cook while you’re out riding.
    m931a2 likes this.
  14. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    There's a pillion seat on R1800 so she doesn't hefta stay at home, cook, clean etc... That all can be done after the ride... :lol3

[​IMG]
    CrustyAPO and 18415 like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I can totally see a GS made from that lump, NOT!
  16. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the R18, looks cool, but it doesn't fit my riding style so unlikely I will ever buy one. I doubt the R18 engine will find it's way into a GS or any other current boxer engine bike. In my opinion the cylinder heads are just a bit to large to be practical on a GS and why give up a 136 HP on the 1250 for 91 HP on the R18? The R18 is designed for the cruiser crowd to compete against HD and Indian and not the 1250. I hope the R18 is successful and while I'm not interested in buying one I'm still looking forward to seeing one in person.
  17. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:

andyrock likes this.
  18. Just Dave

Just Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7216B642-4C17-4346-B1FE-BB9A803DC645.jpeg
    andyrock likes this.
  19. chillerman

chillerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That exhaust is absolutely terrible/hideous. I would imagine it would be the first thing people replace if anyone actually buys one of these.

https://vanceandhines.com/pages/bmw

[​IMG]
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  20. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It literally looks like a snake about to sh*t out the remnants of a medium-sized victim.
    eri and JimVonBaden like this.