1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2020 R18 GS thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrew, May 30, 2019.

1. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I'm no fan of Harleys, Indians, cruisers, or baggers, but I do appreciate them and I can see their appeal. I like what Keanu Reeves, Confederate, and Motus are doing/did.

BMW's version of the general class of cruiser bikes seems too polished, too calculated, kind of like the RnineT. The lifestyle marketing is too obvious. I'd feel like a lab rat riding it, with BMW technicians watching me with a clipboard to gauge my response.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  2. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Absolutely in love with it after seeing it in person and getting a chance to throw a leg over. Didn’t get to start or test ride it, unfortunately.

Quality is amazing in person with your hands on everything. Exhaust is way less hideous in person. Looks less awkward for sure. 10/10 am definitely picking one up in the spring. IMG_0432.jpg
  3. Bluetooth Tuner

Bluetooth Tuner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they bought a fatboy frame and threw in a daft looking engine, that will be an expensive drop in Starbucks for some. :y0!
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    The exhaust is not the best looking, however, it is otherwise gorgeous. If BMW were to offer it with a factory hack I'd have to refinance my house. It has the design influence of the the 1936? bike. From the specs Ive read it has under a hundred horsepower which is disappointing but competitive in class. All in all it has an old school Hip look.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still has zero to do with a GS! :deal
    m931a2 likes this.
  6. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the R18 thread?
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is R18 thread except that it's not R1800 GS but rather R1800 C (for Cruiser)... :D

There's already a thread that got much more traction in Road Warriors (where it belongs :-)): https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-1800-cruiser.1373830/
    Aviatordoc likes this.
  8. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I did not catch it. Will take it there, where it is more relevant.
  9. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries... :thumb

One day, after R13GS/A is introduced if not earlier, both threads about R18C will hopefully get merged together as R1800GS isn't in cards... :D
  10. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the 19” front will work but I don’t think we can find a 16” rear TKC80.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^ If that's all that's missin', I'm sure that Woody can take care of it... :D
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In a GS forum. :deal
    Andrew likes this.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I am wrong but I think the origination of this thread in the GS forum was to ponder whether the big bore R18 engine may eventually be dropped into a GS type motorcycle. That is a very logical question, particularly at the time it was made. Many other musings of this sort are regularly made in the discussion of the GS.

I have ridden the R18 and was very impressed with it in the custom cruiser and perhaps touring bagger format.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-1800-cruiser.1373830/page-65#post-40967714

I am not so certain that the big engine would work as well in a GS platform. Perhaps it would. That wonderful low-end torque would be awesome in the woods. However, the R18 is primarily an air-cooled motor and it seems to be pretty wide in dimension. These factors may work against it insofar as traipsing around off paved roads. Weight-wise, the engine/drivetrain may not be as heavy as one would assume compared to the current GS power train with all the water-cooling apparatus etc. I don't know.

The bigger factor would probably be the character of this 1800cc motor. As currently presented, this big mill is a visceral, vibrating, rocking around power source that appeals to me. I am not so sure the general demographic of GS riders would share an appreciation for such traits in a platform that has been successively civilized, smoothed-out and refined.

Andrew and dave 6h like this.
  14. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d like to see an R18R, proper two up roadster, with the option for the leg room of a GS.
    Prunelles likes this.