The 2021 and up Sportster thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Ginger Beard, Jul 13, 2021.

1. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, 1st is just about perfect on my 1200. I hate vehicles with overly short 1st gears unless I'm towing something ENORMOUS, which obviously doesn't apply here.I've always felt the gearing on the Sportster is as near-perfect as any bike I've ever owned or ridden. In fact, it's just about the only bike I've ever owned that I haven't changed gearing on.
    Now, if I'm running 70+ for extended periods I wouldn't mind a 6th gear to knock 3-400 revs off but with that Evo motor it would be useless at speeds much below 70 so meh, I can live without it.

My problem with most 6 speeds is you're either revving to the moon constantly to make the ratios feel appropriate, or your shifting like a tractor-trailer, dropping 100-200 rpms per shift, and are in 4th gear by the time you cross the intersection. Most of them have the ratios stacked right on top of each other, which is annoying unless your going 'balls to the wall'.
    Scoozi, Webman, B02S4 and 3 others like this.
  2. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2009-2012 XR-1200!!!!!!
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the Buell XT I had I thought the 1st gear was kind of tall too, but I did like its top gearing on the highway.
    Dont know if it was identical to the Sportster.

I have had a few 5 speeds that I liked.
    In general I want a broad gear spread (a reasonable 1st thru a tall top) and fairly even spacing between.
    As long as the gearing has a broad spread and motor has the characteristics to pull that gearing, I am OK with 5.
    Webman, victor441 and Traxx like this.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was a fail due to the lardy tail when they felt they needed to have passenger accoutrements. Same problem with the Indian FTR1200, when you let the marketing people say "we can make it appeal to more people with a passenger seat" it's gonna suck. They should have held true to the replica with the lighter slimmer tail, an appropriate version of the XR750 tail section - no passenger. The air box under the tank bulked up the look too. The standard Sportster air cleaner would work better. Pipes work. That and stay with the 18/19 wheels instead of 17/18. By the way, this would have been my same comments back in 2009 on the tail and the air box.

[​IMG]

That and I wasn't shopping for a bike between 2009-2012. I didn't have the money - they're still ranging from $8500 up depending on miles and I wouldn't want to have to try to fix the look of the tail. I also didn't particularly want more than around a 750.

This is close, though, minus white wheels... [​IMG]
    mumu37, JHG67, Philthy64 and 3 others like this.
  5. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the last model XR's - and particularly the bottom one. For me - I would rock the high pipes on that :thumb

Philthy
    Richy, Webman and Oilhed like this.
  6. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diavel is $5-$6k more money than the Sportster S.

And, I have to agree with Kev M, as much as I like Ducati, in this segment, I'd choose the Sportster S for it's hydro valves and belt drive.
    I also think it looks better, as the Diavel, and even the Diavel X are not good looking bikes to my eyes.
  7. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, I can't disagree with that, the Sportster is definitely better looking. Is there really that much delta in the price? If so, I will cut HD a lot of slack. For that much delta, there ought to be a hp difference.
    BigIron, Traxx, Webman and 1 other person like this.
  8. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    According to Ducati's website the Diavel starts at 20,295 so the price difference is about 5300 bucks. The Diavel also makes 157hp so it definitely has the advantage there.
    Honestly, I see the Diavel as more of an indirect competitor. There's definitely some 'overlap' between it and the Sportster but they're really not directly comparable.
    Not to mention, the Diavel is butt-ugly. :lol2
    BigIron, KingOfFleece, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Absolutely it's ugly, no question, right? I guess what got me was the "power" in power cruiser.
    Richy and Traxx like this.
  10. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the X Diavel is a more direct competitor than the standard Diavel. A little less HP (152 vs 157) but a lower, longer look with forwards or mids, belt drive, 9K miles maintenance intervals (18K for major service) and a 20K MSRP.

XDIavel-02-gallery-1920x1080.jpg
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn that's the only Italian bike I can think of that's fucking ugly as sin.
    Pabst, KingOfFleece and Webman like this.
  13. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and people keep posting pictures of the darn thing! :lol2
    Webman likes this.
  14. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can think of a few others; Google Ducati Indiana, for starters…
    busa1300, Oilhed and KingOfFleece like this.
  15. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its been worse.
    Remember the diesel limited edition, with the dragged from the scrap heap touches

[​IMG]
  16. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is ugly, but the Diavel is a smile machine. One of my favorite bikes to ride.
    Richy likes this.
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I maintain if it has two wheels runs well and you're not having fun it ain't the bike.
    BigIron, Richy, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  18. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I guess it's a necessary evil when writing this crap to gloss over stuff.

Like totally ignoring that the past almost two decades of the Sportster are a different chapter than the rest of the EVO history.

Or just superficially comparing the Sportster's "continued" use of the EVO with the BT moving "on" to the TC and M8, but never actually recognizing the BT EVO and Sportster EVOs are related but different

Basically he skipped what made the SPORTSTER a Sportster and not a BT from the start.

Oh well, it's not like he was trying to educate us on Sportsters and what the line has become.... Oh yeah, he was.

UH, except they did in 2004, they reinvented the whole platform.

A COMPLETE BULLSHIT THROWAWAY GENERALIZATION. Since he hasn't even recognized the 35 year span of EVO models was part solidmount and part rubbermount I guess he can't recognize how completely wrong that statement is for solidmounts and how it's too general about rubbermounts but maybe at least arguably "average". Still the ignorance is annoying.

Except the Sportster never had side valves dumbass. That was the whole point in 57 it debuted with OHV. THAT was when it became the Sportster and not the KHK.
    Scoozi, shupe, Mobiker and 7 others like this.
  20. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the riding impressions were sincere and accurate enough. It was just the attempts at framing history that left out most of the picture that bugged me

Truthfully I don't put much stock in reviews because so much is subjective.

What really matters to me might not to you and that's cool, but it might make my review useless to you and vice versa.
    Richy, Webman and quint7 like this.