The $35 Cambodian bike

Discussion in 'Asia' started by RC., Feb 24, 2010.

1. RC.

RC. ADV FOR LIFE

Oddometer:
    I'm serving a one year sentence in Japan right now (as an English teacher) and I'm set to get my walking papers on March 31st. I was thinking of going to Cambodia before heading back to the U.S. because I've always wanted to see Angkor Wat and the other 'Wats.

A Japanese friend of mine here has been to Cambodia several times to a small village where she has some friends and she tells me that you can buy a motorcycle in Cambodia for 3,000 yen. ($35 USD) I don't really believe this, no matter what kind of bike it is, but it raises the following questions:

1. How much can you actually buy a bike for in small town Cambodia? (outside Phnom Penh or Siam Reap)

2. Can you ride a bike that you've bought in Cambodia across the border into:
    a. Thailand
    b. Laos
    c. Vietnam
    with little problems, hassles, or big fees?

3. What documentation would you need to ride said bike in Cambodia and make these border crossings? (I have an international drivers permit and motorcycle endorsement, of course.)

4. Any recommendations on places to look for a cheap bike? (Of course, I'll be asking her about this small village in more detail.)

5. Any bike recommendations?

I've heard that it's very hard to take bikes into Vietnam. Not sure about Laos and Thailand. Based just on traveling and visa requirements, it seems like Thailand and Laos should be more relaxed.

I'm kind of in the research stage right now and am trying to tie up loose ends here. I'm pretty set on the Cambodia trip itself. Just trying to see if I can turn this into a proper adventure.

Any info/tips/suggestions are of course greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  2. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi RC,

bike in Cambodia cost pretty much the same as other parts of Asia, a new 100cc step through Honda is about US1000 new, chinese made are cheaper. So the 35 dollar bike must have been old, very old.

Its not much hassle buying and using in Cambodia. I know that taking bikes into Thailand is easy, you need insurance that you can buy at the border. I don't know about Vietnam or laos.

I have heard of a local rule that foreigners are not allowed to ride motorbike in Siem reap, you should check on that.

I'm sure there will be more answers along shortly.

good luck.
  3. Voyagner

Voyagner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can ride in Siem Reap but you can't rent a bike there, helps sustain the huge number of moto and tuk tuk drivers I guess.
  4. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% true, just there two weeks ago. No problems riding my own bike, but no rentals.
  5. Spuds

Spuds On my way home

Oddometer:
    Why buy a bike when you can rent one for about $10 bucks a day or $150 a month?

If I were to buy one I'd look for for an SYM or a Thai made Honda Dream.

My father owns this one and I don't know how much he paid but I'm sure it wasn't too much. It's parked in the living room where everyone parks their bikes.

[​IMG]
  6. Solstice0000

Solstice0000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just adding my 2cents... 2 things you will need when riding/driving a vehicle into Thailand (aside from your passport and immigration forms):
    (1) Proof of Thai coverage motor insurance (either it comes as part of your regular vehicle insurance or you can buy a local Thai motor insurance at a counter at the border immigration station; and
    (2) Proof of vehicle ownership from the vehicle country of origin. This is a printed log card or letter from the from the DMV of the vehicle's country of origin (it will state the details of your vehicle, eg. displacement, brand, model AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, its got to have YOUR NAME on it) - if you don't have this, they will not let your vehicle in.
    In return, they will issue you with a printed Thai vehicle import/entry document (that states the estimated value of your vehicle - its arbitrary). Do not lose this document as it will result in a lot of hassle because when you leave Thailand, you have to return this document to them (as proof of export/exit of said vehicle).
    Good luck and Enjoy!
  7. RC.

RC. ADV FOR LIFE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

This one is helpful, too, because it looks like I'm going to be flying into Bangkok now, and the trip's going to be shorter than I had planned (I'm juggling a lot of stuff right now) so I'm not going to be able to buy and sell and go through all that goes along with that. I might end up renting somewhere along the way. Too bad about Siam Reap.
  8. RC.

RC. ADV FOR LIFE

Oddometer:
    Well, the $35 Cambodia Bike turned out to be a myth. According to my Cambodian friend, the 125cc's that everyone rides (Honda Dream, etc.) go for about 1600 bucks, and no one wants to buy them used.

I did rent a 250 Honda Dual Sport for two and a half days for $20, though. Here's the small report, if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572365&highlight=Khmer+Year