The 40 year old virgin - A 3 year journey from rally newbie to competitor in Dakar

Discussion in 'Racing' started by carryoncorky, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Corky - best posts I've ever read about the Dakar. thanks for sharing your jouney :)
  2. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best of luck Chris! Rubber side down and be safe and most of all have fun!
  3. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    #90 after the prologue. Well done Corky! We'll be cheering for you!
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Corky on the Prologue stage yesterday...

[​IMG]

Today's stage has been cancelled due to torrential rain and lightening storms... the competitors will have a long [road] liaison to the next bivouac instead. Some riders have already fallen just riding on the road in these conditions!

Chin up Corky - it's just like trial-riding in the UK ;o)

Jx
    *kartman* and Wannabe like this.
  5. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Wish you all the best for your Dakar ! I would have bought a T-shirt package if I found this earlier :(
  6. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Go Corky!!! Got my t-shirt and stickers yesterday and will be proudly wearing them!!
  7. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corky's backside for those that haven't seen it before... [​IMG]
    Y E T I likes this.
  8. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    Corky, carrying on! Way to go man, seems like they plug you on every Eurosport episode. As of now you're still not in on Day 8. We're cheering for you!
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    He made it in to the ASS - just after 10pm local time this evening...

It's still a way [by road] to the bivvy, then back to back marathon days starting tomorrow... dig deep my friend!

Go Corky! Go #116!!!

Jx
  10. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey man -

I can't even begin to know what this feels like for you, but your description of your last night was the best description of the extreme difficulty of being caught in the snowball that I've seen. Gutted for you man, but also proud as hell for what you accomplished. Your family is proud as well, and will be very glad to get you home in one piece. Hold your head high... and if you ever get to touring around the US, we'd love to see you in Wyoming :).

Justin
    Ten Sleep, WY
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd echo what KNFodder has said...

Here are the posts Chris put on Facebook last night, and again earlier today:

"Day 11: The Main track was completely un-rideable due to trucks and cars. The bike just would not go in that amount of soft sand.

I had to ride off piste which was great but to get to waypoints it was back onto the main tracks.

Bike in 1st gear, full throttle, clutch out but the engine could not turn the wheel in these conditions. Once into this terrain the only way out was to get off the bike and push. Literally wasted hours trying to find a way out from the soft stuff at every point.

Anything more than flat and the bike was not going to move!!!!! I battled on into the night but then came across ............... the biggest hill climb of soft sand I have seen.

It was endless and after many different route attempts and having to push the bike I had to throw in the towel. I called control to say I would get some sleep and continue in the morning. They agreed ..........

At 3am I was then called and told I could no longer continue - Game Over.
    It’s easy to look back and say what if. I went everything went into a downhill snowball effect after the joys of Day 4. Battling at the bac was always going to be difficult. The day I went out I wasted an hour (with many other riders) trying to find way point 7 - should have taken the penalty and carried on. Also I should not have given 3/4 of an hour to a rider with no fuel!!!

I gave it my all and I can sleep well knowing that but yes I’m devastated.
    There will no other Dakar attempt - The stresses on family and money needed cannot be repeated."

And following on:

"Thanks for everyone's amazing messages. Brought a few tears to my eyes. I'm still gutted and still puzzled by my failure. The bike would just not go in the soft sand. I watched others ride past me and I've ridden this stuff many times. I was constantly in trouble where i know I shouldn't be. The sand was supposed to me my time to shine and not my failure. On the climb where I finally stopped I started with another and just watched as he pulled away from me as my engine revs just plummeted again. We even changed the gearing before the marathon stage but It didn't help. The end was in sight and this should of been in the bag. The engine had done a previous Dakar, 2 rallies after and basically got thrashed during this Dakar - maybe it needed a refresh or maybe I just got tired!?! Will check the compression, etc. on return. I am now with the service team finishing the journey to support the last 4 riders and the many friends I have met on my journey. I look forward to seeing them on the finish podium. As for helping others - I was at the back and struggling to make any headway. I believe all of you would do the same."

Jx
  12. Fasnacht

Fasnacht Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Cork on a Hell of a go...and thanks for bringing us all along with you. Cheers.
  13. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Corky, your last days video that was put on the Dakar feed even made my wife cry! Truly feel for you....and that last shot from the copter says it all. Know that many of us are thinking of you, knowing you gave it your all. and wishing you safe travels home.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:

Jx
    Tricky [RCAF] likes this.
  15. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your journey Corky

Fantastic effort, Bugger you weren't able to get through the stage - you should be very proud still.

Well done mate

Cheers from Down-under
  16. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny. FB challenged here....
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Corky is auctioning some unique Dakar memorabilia from his 2016 campaign this year. Chris actually donated his sponsorship money prior to the race to a local children's charity, so this time I think he deserves to take himself and his family on holiday! Go Corky! Go and take a break!!!

From Corky's Facebook page:

[​IMG]

"As you're all aware my Dakar dream/obsession is over for the forceable future so I'll be auctioning off my Dakar related items from the last 2 years. Race jackets, fairings, helmet, paddock clothing, competitors items, and any other personal Dakar related stuff that I think may be of interest. The money made will take my 2 boys and girlfriend on holiday. If I only raise £100 - it's Crealy Adventute Park but I'm hoping we can at least go somewhere warm where there's a pool and the sea - even if it's in the tent again. I know I ask for much but I would be grateful if you could share this post for me so these auctions reach interested collectors/bidders. The items will be listed on a weekly basis with the 1st being my vented jacket on the 29th of this month. My eBay ID is 'chriscork' but I will be linking all auction listings here on Facebook as well. Thanks as always, Corky"

Direct link to his Ebay page here.

As he says above, the listings will start from 29th of this month.

Jx
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I'm blown away! Such an awesome thread and amazing effort from a privateer! For me what you have been doing captures the spirit of Rally more than the multi-$$ corporate entries. As an old "punk-rocker" myself, I can't imagine how hard you have had to train to recover from that "lifestyle". Although I am sure a DNF is a real bummer, the incredible effort put out is in itself an amazing accomplishment. Donating sponsorship money to charity indicates what a special guy you are; I will be following your eBay page in hopes that I can make a purchase to donate to your efforts. I also will look forward to your next rally (should you decide to give it a go once again).
  19. brocku

brocku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have worked so hard and have had incredible adventures. You will be able to sit with your grandkids and tell them amazing stories.
    You sir are one helluva gent. Thanks for your stories.
    Cheers.
  20. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was amazing and you are amazing. Totally inspiring. Thank you.
    Tricky [RCAF] likes this.