The 400,000 mile K3 DL1000 V-Strom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by wera688, Apr 6, 2016.

1. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    On April 6, 2016 my 2003 DL1000 V-Strom passed the 400,000 mile threshold. I have been hoping this day would come to share some of the things that have (or have not) occurred over the last 4442 days since purchased new. That’s only an average of 90 miles a day.

Reliability-wise only 3 things have broken: 2 front brake switches (one at 100K, one at 397K), 1 impeller (at 329K) and 1 stator (at 172K). The front brake switch is a $20 item, the plastic impeller came off its metal shaft and the burnt stator was replaced with one from Electrosport.
    I purchased the extended 4 year warranty and never got to use it [​IMG]

Since new I have always used 87 octane gas, 10x40 Castrol syntec car oil, Fram oil filters and K&N air filter. I have installed an external fuel filter and change it every 50-70K. I use NGK iridium spark plugs.
    I haven’t checked the valve clearances since 303K so I assume they are doing ok at this point.

Over the miles I have sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis and as such have implemented a 7,000 mile interval oil change program. The last analysis at 398K looked good with no issues except for the copper/bronze content in the sample was a little higher than last sample at 350K, perhaps suggesting that some wear is occurring. The engine usually only requires .4 quart or so added, if any, between changes.

I installed a Werks clutch basket (highly recommended) at 303K and it made a noticeable improvement in drivability, shifting and overall smoothness. The clutch plates were still in-spec at removal but I replaced them anyway. There is a you-tube video that Terry Hinkle made on the clutch basket titled “Werks Clutch Basket Inspection”. According to Terry it held up quite nicely over the miles.

I have incurred some parts needing replacement due to wear such as front rotors, front brake bracket and brake pad pins, rear brake bracket and rear axle. Other parts needing replacement include: water pump seal, wheel bearings, various rubber o-rings, fork seals, rear exhaust gasket, shock linkages/bearings and the clutch slave seal. In addition the kickstand and center stand had to be welded up, the shifter/linkage is “loose” to say the least and the ignition/key tumbler is shot and I have a lanyard in place to keep the keys in the ignition.

The OEM shock was replaced at 150K and replaced with a Hyperpro 3-way adjustable. The shock was serviced by Traxxion Dynamics at 272K and at 398K. The forks by Traxxion at 219K, 272K and at 398K. Yes, I have replaced the fork oil without servicing over the years so It’s not as bad as it may seem, though at the last visit Traxxion said they usually throw away shocks that come in worn like mine but they were able to refurbish it back to serviceable condition.

Other than the engine top covers off for valve checks, the side covers off for water pump seal/impeller replacement and stator replacement, the engine has not been opened for any repairs. The transmission shifts positively and it seems that the engine running like it should. I have not installed a power commander or any other mod to the engine or fuel system. I have not have any electrical issues.

The 1st gen DL1000 (years ‘02-’03) odometer stops counting the miles at 199,999 miles and Suzuki replaced the original cluster with one that started from zero. In another +5000 miles I get to see if the second odometer will also stop. Suzuki USA/Japan do not have a 1st gen cluster to give so I may have to look elsewhere if I can’t get it reset. The 2nd gen models (-04 and up) do not have this problem as Wrugboy has eclipsed 200K on his ‘07 DL1000.

The question I’m asked the most is ‘how many tires have you used?” Here is the list of consumable items in 400,000 miles:

255 quarts of oil used (64 gallons)
    85 oil filter changes
    56 tires (23 front, 33 rear)
    22 brake pad sets (15 front, 7 rear)
    19 chains
    10 spark plug changes
    9 sprocket sets
    8 wheel bearings (4 front, 4 rear)
    4 batteries
    4 fuel filter changes

To say the least, it doesn’t look showroom new, the plastic bodywork is cracking, the fuel gauge doesn’t show all of the bars, the OD light comes on at will, the clutch slave seal is leaking a little as well as the water/oil seal and the turn signal stem have all dry rotten and broken off, now held together with some speed tape and zip ties.

I can say this bike held up much better over the miles than my 363,500 mile ‘91 FXR Harley did as the list of what broke, fell off, blew up or disintegrated is just too long to list.

Here's an odometer pic and a couple of the Warbeast.
    Ride More and Type Less!

Kith
    Newnan, GA

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0055.JPG kith7.jpg
    x32792, Snowfan, gen1fizzy and 102 others like this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to share the information. Very interesting.
  3. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow
  4. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I love high mileage bike stories, thanks for sharing!
    Snowfan, Maggot12 and wera688 like this.
  5. fujione

fujione Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great job, I hope my ktm gets 1/3 rd of that.

Joe
  6. Road Hound

Road Hound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kith you have done well, it's rare to see someone put this kind of mileage on a bike. I've done 300,000+, 200,000+, 200,000+ on 3 Concours and it's always been fun, the miles have taken me places that I'll never forget as I'm sure your V mileage has done for you. Congrats :clap:photog:photog:photog
    Snowfan, carlosaug9 and wera688 like this.
  7. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Very cool that you kept records of your consumables. Any guess as to how much money that translates into....cost of ownership?
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Impressive on the bike & the miles you ride!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    "only an average of 90 miles a day"

That's something to brag about right there, well done!
    sasha28yug and 8lives like this.
  10. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    dang. hows your butt holding up?
  11. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    I've have a Russell Day Long saddle for the last 350K, so da butt is doing just fine. The cover does need to be restitched.

a good question to ponder. a friend calculated the maintenance costs and they were around .002 cents per mile or something like that. I have a 7.3 gallon tank so filling it up over the years would be a big cost! Overall I believe it would be much cheaper to operate than some other brands at the same mileage but perhaps regular routine maintenance, a bit of luck and having the assembly line person show up to work without a hangover is also a big part of the equation.
  12. orestis

orestis Time flies when riding

Oddometer:
    Impressive at least! Would you like to share your story about (as I can see from the pictures) the enlargement of your tank?
  13. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    I got the idea from John Ryan's mega tank on his FJR. We cut the top of the stock Strom's tank off and then got the same thickness of metal from a car door and welded them together on the base tank and then welded the top on. I was hoping for a 9 gallon tank but only came out with 7.3 gallons, 1.5 gallons more than stock. i couldnt make the tank too high because my tank bag would be in the way of the controls. The initial build had some micro leaks, internal tank sealing didnt help so I took it to a local car shop and they welded it, pressure tested it, bondo'd it and repainted. The big dent/crack is from my knee hitting it when it decided to take a nap on a thick sandy road in south GA.
    JB_Strom, orestis and Achtung like this.
  14. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Great job Kith! It's great to see you and your bike on a weekly basis at bike night!

Now we are all anxiously waiting to see if you actually do get a new bike. :D
  15. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Great info! :thumbup
  16. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Kith, you have set a standard that will be hard to surpass! While it has not let you down, I wonder if it is asking too much of the girl to be ridden hard every day going forward? I for one would not think less of it or you should you find yourself getting a new bike. Like athletes, there is a proper time to retire! Suzuki should have an interest in providing another bike for you, I would ask them! The publicity they are getting is worth it to them.
    Night_Wolf and srelegante like this.
  17. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I read the 250k and 300k threads over at Stromtrooper.

My '06 DL1000 is barely broken in with 35,000 miles on it.
  18. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm envious of the time you have to ride! I took today "off" and I'm going to start catching up to you on my new DL1000. Only behind by 399,400 miles. :lol3

Suzuki should definitely do something for you and others that put insane miles on their bikes.
    dtysdalx2 and srelegante like this.
  19. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up. Could someone provide a link to the 250 and 300K threads?
  20. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    Achtung and 8lives like this.