The 4th Annual / WMRS IV In Bishop CA (7/31-8/3)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Stonewall, May 19, 2008.

1. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    So wait, which is going to be more "scenic"? 4 or 108???? :ear
  2. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    JESUS your slow, Sally, FUCK
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I know, take one on the way there and the other on the way back. :beer
  4. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

That's a fact. :bluduh

According to Calfire's web site, there aren't any other fires burning currently that should give any trouble to the Hwy. 4 or Hwy. 108 areas.

Hwy. 4 gets very twisty and slow at the top, and has usually got a decent amount of law enforcement patrolling it. It's a nice ride, though. I've not been on Hwy. 108 for a long time, and I'm leaning towards doing that one on the way over. Not too sure about the return trip.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    riverrat wants to know where everyone is. the host is better this year
  6. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    I am preparing printouts of some of the geocaches in the area. Check out www.geocaing.com and look up CROWLEY LAKE or zip code 93514. There are hot springs in the area!

Bring your GPS's and travel bugs (if you have them and know what they are).

Bring a couple of groovy give-away trinkets to leave in a found cache (if you want to take something out of a cache).

This cache at the center has not been found yet. ( I think). Be the first one!
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=10915bb1-bb22-4f2b-9980-48f6a2c6ce1a&decrypt=y&log=&numlogs=
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 vs 108. Both are scenic. 4 is your typical sierra highway up to lake Alpine. You can easily average 65 mph. No more patroled than any other, though they occasionally lay in wait just above Camp Connel. Sheriff's substation at Bear Valley, but they have other interest unless you are really smokin. Above Alpine, the road narrows and the white line disappears. Less traffic than 108, but those that venture up there tend to drive in the middle of the road. It is also a favorite place to ride a bycycle and there is no shoulder. Lots of slow blind curves. A very fun road, but if it is your first time, be careful. 89 to 395 is monitor pass. Above the timberline, 2 good lanes and very scenic.
    108 probably 40 miles shorter, much the same up to Kennedy Meadows. But a better road past that to 395. More open, good views of the east Sierra. From my house, 225 mi. round trip to do both.
    You won't find that on Cal Trans.:evil
  8. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    Might join ya on that.
  9. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :ricky
  10. gkostolny

gkostolny bay area adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Zen, how does Wyman compare to Silver? Harder? Easier?

thanks.

-g
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I was trying to decide which one to do on the way up and which one to do on the way down... Seems like the "main road" would only be useful for a quick getaway or if Silver Canyon's water crossings are intimidating.

Now if only we can find a babysitter for Saturday... anyone? :lol3

PS - I'd vote for Hwy 4 on the way back; there is a spectacular waterfall that you may not see coming from this direction. And Mosquito Lakes near the top would probably be heaven if you owned one of the cabins. thanks for the insights itsatdm.
  12. gkostolny

gkostolny bay area adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about which way to go on the way up... People have been talking so much scariness about Silver Canyon that I'm having 2nd thoughts on taking the Uly up it. I figure if Wyman is a bit easier, it might be a better option...

I have ridden 4 east my SV650S and it was beautiful. Never taken it west, maybe that's an idea for my way home... Depends on where I end up, since I'm taking Mon-Weds off and may head further north or south depending on what appeals after the WMRS ride Sunday.

-gabe
  13. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    108 East on Friday :clap
    4 West on Sunday :thumb

I just camped with my son last weekend down at the riverbed just NE of Camp Connel. What a trip getting down to the river!
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Say, what time on Friday? :D I am still awaiting launch approval but if I get the green light I will be headed that way too on Friday. I won't hear until this evening probably.
  15. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i haven't actually ridden wyman before. from what i have heard it's not as steep as silver canyon and while there are more water crossings on wyman they aren't as deep as the ones at the bottom of silver.:dunno

maybe somebody who has actually ridden wyman can straighten me out if i got something wrong.:ear
  16. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got it right, IMO. We went up Silver and down Wyman last year and will do the same this year. Definately thought Silver was steeper. Silver has about 5-6 water crossings, most of which seemed pretty deep. Wyman had 15-20 crossings, only one of which I thought was deep.

Silver will have a lot more traffic (2 and 4 wheel). We didn't see any other vehicles on Wyman that afternoon, though I know of other AdvRiders who went down before and after us.

I have heard that in a previous year, Wyman was pretty torn up and much harder than Silver. Perhaps that was a particularly wet winter.
  17. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Dude, I'm gonna meet you in Rio Vista just to put an exclamation point on your punk ass as to how slow you are. If I can smoke you on a 250 with a motor that isn't even run in, what will I do to you on a bike with powah? :deal

Either way, check you're email knucklehead and give me an address of where you guys will be.
  18. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    LTS,

You take that new ride of yours, change the oil on that 2fiddy to get the metal bits out of the new engine and then YOU SMOKE HIM...

(Where you can)!

You'll be doing gymnastics around his bike (at certain spots)

PIN IT!
  19. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    DAMN I wish I could be there to watch all the parts flyin'. :jack

You guys are gonna need a whole bunch o trucks to bring the wreckage home if you don't chile out a tad.
    Just sayin'.

Ya'll need to survive so you post pictures for the rest of us. mmk
  20. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    I've ridden with you there Sparky, so let there be no thought that you are any angel! :evil

Already changed the oil and rode it to work today. I actually hit an indicated 80 on the speedo. Dude, that bike is nothing short of jail bait! If I could convince G Funk to be my pack mule, I'd ride the little monster there! All this, of course, if she let's me take it as it is her bike.

Otherwise, I'll have to make him look silly again the old fashioned way... :lol3