The 4th Annual / WMRS IV In Bishop CA (7/31-8/3)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Stonewall, May 19, 2008.

1. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're OK Jeff. Bikes are easier to fix up than injuries. Sorry we didn't get word you needed a lift to Sac until we were well on our way home Monday. Bill (SpeedRacer) had a trailer and we would have made room for you and bike.
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I'm still questioning whether it was those insufferable pricks at that same towing garage. When the ATK cooked its head two years ago, they wanted to charge for an 'offroad recovery' because I was on Sherwin Creek road, over the hill and around a corner from being in Mammoth (about a mile). Yeah, it's a 'gravel road' but it's also the main route to the motocross track and dozens of ranches all through there.

They didn't tow me back to Tom's Place. They took me to their garage in Mammoth with my bike on the truck so he could 'talk to his supervisor'. They not only pushed the 'offroad' aspect but they called AAA (with me standing there) and told them it was a 4x4 trail--which of course got AAA to decline paying for the tow. I had to call AAA on my own, from my cell (in their office) to get it straightened out. They had my bike on the truck and pulled all this shit after the fact.

Did I mention it took them well over an hour to get to me (1 mile from town)? Did I mention that it took me something like 4 hours to get from Mammoth back to Tom's Place? The gouging and storage fee bullshit sounds just like something that garage would pull.

My guess is they didn't want to get their 'standard rate' from AAA and thought they'd take advantage of me.

This is the so-called "4x4" trail in question. I took this photo waiting for that prick of a tow-truck driver.

[​IMG]

Glad to hear the accident wasn't worse. Cows scare the crap out of me. I've known people to survive dear-hits at speed but not cows.
  3. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Man glad to hear yer "OK" I can only imagine what that musta been like.
    Almost pickin off a yodel dog Friday night commin back to camp scared the krap outta me.
  4. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Dude!
    You sure you didn't take a left at albuquerque and end up in Mexico? :patch

Glad to hear you're ok, mang. :thumb
  5. troyintahoe

troyintahoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a great time at the Bishop ride! George Swetland showed me the ropes (My brother in law). I was riding the old skewl XR600R. We were also the first to go out to Jeff's cow punching escapade. Jeff did a great job of shaving off some MPH before impact with the cow. Full gear did it's thing too. Glad to hear from you here on the thread Jeff.

We stayed until today and fished around the Bishop area. 45 fish in two days. You have to love it. EPIC dual sport ride backed up with two days of fly fishing. It doesn't get much better than that. I'm headed back for some more in two weeks. "Later and Thanks". Troy in Tahoe & Family
  6. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Still on my vacay here in Incline/Tahoe but managed to get my photos on smugmug. You can view them by going to www.oaklandmc.smugmug.com and clicking on Super Suz Gallery of Motorcycle Vacations. Here's one of them for now...

[​IMG]
    I took my strom to new heights!!
    • Thanks to Stonewall for organizing the campground and the dinner.
    • Mongox for joining me on the great ride up from the Bay Area and heading the tour to Bodie and back
    • Santa and his crew for the campground treats
    • Senior Peligro for going as "fast" as I go, fixing that F650 breakdown in a jiffy, a wonderful breakfast, and a nice hike to the Devil's Postpile
    • The LA Weekend Ride crew for sweeping us up the mountain
    • And RiverRat for his hospitality, for the big-ass bonfires every night (and the wake up call accellerant bombs). for the night time ride to the secret (undisclosed) hot springs ride (and getting to try out that killer DRZ 400 of his), for encouraging me to go up the mountain, and for the caching fun too. I hope you find one soon. Also that was a great Walker Burger, Dude. That was one of the best I ever had. Well worth the wait to the town of Walker!
    • Thanks for it all and to all the studly adventurers who went on this ride.
    • And last, THANKS be to the higher powers that the accident did not end in a serious tragedy. Speedy recovery. Hope you can trade steaks for wrench work.
    I hope to go again and I hope that time will have more ladies going for it. The easy way up is not that bad and it's not so long that you have to rush up the mountain in order to get back before the sun goes down or anything like that. (Unless you are a super put putter).

:clap :clap :clap For another great motorcycle ad enture! I'll post pics online after get back. Not sure if going to camp out some more first. :evil :evil
  7. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    So, now that you are home, you are going to be all right, and the bike is what it is, is it still too soon for the pig vs. cow jokes?

Glad you are ok Jeff, I love riding at night, but I hate it when something like this happens.

I too am a GS man, so let me know if there is anythign I can do to help you get back on the road!

Jake
  8. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Conestogaman: As larryboy said, we would have stopped, but the troops were already there - and we couldn't have done anything. I'm glad you and your bike made it back. Heal quick!
  9. Conestogaman

Conestogaman Mr. Excessive (professional lurker)

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, for the get well wishes. Just before impact, I figured this was the big one. I had no room to go around, so all I could do is grab the brakes...hard...

I almost had to ride my K75 with the low seat, and if I were on it. I wouldn't have gone over, but instead augered in. I figure the seat height is a full 12" higher on the GS with the ADv shocks on.

Here's the kicker. Mileage after the impact...44666...:huh

I was making Devil jokes all weekend (rode Devil's punchbowl, Devil's postpile, Devil's gate summit). It's enough to make me a bit superstitious...

Rebuilding will take some time. I'm low on $$ and no end in sight. This was my last ride before total brokeness.:cry

Overall, I had a good time. Thanks to all and perhaps I can get her together for next year. It'll prolly be more of a naked bike than GS-like.

The tow company was by the KTM dealer and
    $185 hour port to port. The driver musta took the scenic route back. Fargin' Marther Fargers...

You all take care, and watch out for them black cows, on black roads, on black nights...they'll gitcha...

Jeff

P.s. Maybe I should change my sig line...
  10. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:

Motorcycling is great, but I've never hit a cow on my keyboard :type
  11. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    If you enjoyed visiting WMRS and want the open house to continue in the future please consider making a tax-deductible donation to the White Mountain Research Station. If you bought souvenirs or t-shirts that 's a start but they can use all the help they can get right now with the current state of education funding.

More Info

Also, did you know the gates will be open again in November? Does anybody want to go back for another visit then?:evil

12. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Bought a T shirt. I'm down for heading back, but won't the snow have started by then?
  13. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Supposed to be taking a nap after all can eat sushi lunch. But don't wanna. I wanna post pics instead.

Here are some.,..

Mongox and me on 108 headed up there like we were hungry for burgers and parties. We hardly stopped at all.
    [​IMG]
    We stopped at the top of his favorite part and twisted our way down from there.

AAARRRGGGG! Toasting a cup o ARGGG-o- GROG to you so let the party begin!

[​IMG]

Every night, RiverRat had a huge fire and every now and hen would light it up with something that resembled rocket fuel. He also had a help yourself bar and was most gracious and generous.

[​IMG]

This crew looks great. But don't be fooled. They worked hard to get to the top.

[​IMG]

Here are some more WMRS toppers. Hats off to those of you who hiked to the very top of the mountain. That's a 2500 ft hike with 11 miles round trip. Megga Super Star Studs, you are~
    [​IMG]
  14. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Here are some more pics. Don't worry, Sr. Peligro. I've got you covered too...
    Senior P. had lost his power on the way to Bodie. Badda Bing, Badda Bing and he was done fixing the prob. Just had to tighten the battery connection and was back in business.

[​IMG]
    Check out the decent tool set too. No messing around here, folks.

[​IMG]

"They don't have this back home", Sr. Peligro said.

Will have some more later.

Super Suz chillin in Tahoe...
  15. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did anyone make it up to the radio astronomy site on Monday?
  16. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Conestogaman

Oddometer:
    :rofl

No, more like:
  18. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    :lol3

nice eating dinner with you at reds meadows... didn't put a face to your name until somebody posted a picture of you sitting at our picnic table during the BBQ. i hope you heal up quick and please let the ADV community know if you need any help (financial or otherwise) getting your bike back on the road.:deal
  19. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope to be one of those ladies next year!
  20. Conestogaman

Oddometer:
    Anybody got a couple aircraft landing lights?:deal

The new look will be more of a naked bike with some exoskeleton tubing (think Roo bars+) and serious lighting to get my vision further down the road. That and an electronic curb feeler attached to the throttle and brakes. The closer I get to an obstacle, the slower the bike... Yea! that would be good!!