The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    You know I meant specified number of seconds :D
    How much info does it need? It's cranking 26,6 times a second at idle.
    But that's what we've all been saying - press it until it runs smoothly. Like any vehicle really.
  2. sajor

sajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My walk of shame:
    So after 4yrs of owning my 650 dakar and taking her on many trail rides in Az i finally crashed my bike on tarmac of all things (hurts a lot more than dirt lol).

I was returning from a little day trail ride in AZ and once you hit the tarmac there is still tons of tight twisties along the mountains , there are two lanes, one for incoming traffic and the other for outgoing?, my lane was on the right side towards the rocky mountains, the twisties where very tight so i couldnt see if there was incoming traffic coming my way so i did my best to stay in my lane, on this twistie i guess i didnt lean enough to my left and went straight to some big rocks on mid curve , luckily i was going max 40mph (probably less), when i went down i felt a hard thump on the side of my helmet , could of been the huge rock or my own handle bar who knows , luckily no major damage was made to my body, lifted my bike and left unharmed.

As i mentioned i believe i didnt lean enough but on other occasions and even on my way to the trail i was really eating up them twisties, i would lean and i could literally feel my peg scraping the ground, could it be because my bike is lowered ?, i know speed comes with experience and comfort level but how do you guys handle tight twistiest.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Testing sidestand wires today for continuity. Disconnect under skid plate and ran small wires into plug. Parts look all good at the kickstand.

Sidestand down
    Red - white continuity

Sidestand up
    Brown - white continuity

Mmm, that does not match up with the chart?
    Sidestand up should be brown - red?

Are wire colors sometimes reversed but it's still built right? I need to go back and look again at the wiring colors in the harness side.

Any ideas while I waiting on my nuetral switch? I think next I will diasable the sidestand switch and see if I still need to pull in my clutch to start in nuetral.
  4. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Good to hear you're ok.
    Did you lose the front or the rear? You didn't go back to look if there were marks in the asphalt to indicate if you'd ground out? I assume a lowered bike might ground out sooner than if it wasn't.

Suspension is really important when it comes to grip and a number of things could cause you to lose traction;
    Breaks
    - Used breaks while leaned over
    - This could cause wheel to slide, either front lowsiding or rear high siding. Sounded like you washed out the front.
    Suspension
    - Or suspension to compress, where it might lose traction when it bounces back
    - Grounding out pegs or stand could cause the same
    - As can uneven asphalt​

Low grip
    - Something on the aphalt like sand or a fluid? If it was very hot the asphalt might have melted and was leaking tar​

Please replace that helmet - sounds like it's done its job and did it well.
    eakins and edwin like this.
  5. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I used borwn/ white when I did it on my 2001 (I think, been a while and not with bike so can't check until spring)
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/f650gs-side-stand-kill-switch-bypass-mod.153763/
    eakins likes this.
  6. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast Shunpiker

Oddometer:
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Hah, I remember now that Wayne replied to my question here in that thread; sometimes the red & white wires are indeed reverse in the sidestand switch vs what is stated in his guide.

So it looks like I too will need to connect the brown & white wires on my 05 not brown & red.
    I am going to cut my wires about 1" past the connector down near the skid plate on the switch side. I will remove the switch. I figure if I sell the bike and someone wants it back on, the wires can be connected.

This switch is not my answer to my clutch in problem however, but the mod will provide ground when the stand is down so it can start.

I've been studying the wire guide and flow of ground. To me it seems like it's on the nuetral switch not providing so it must come from the clutch switch & thus must be pulled in to start the bike, even in nuetral.

What confuses me is how is the nuetral light working properly all times and thus getting ground? Diode B fault? Anyway onwards with the sidestand mod today.
  8. sajor

sajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have tested the switch & now know it is working, neutral lamp is working so is connecting to earth properly which means diode C is either disconnected, missing or faulty. As for cutting wires, there is zero reason to cut any wires and damage a good working wiring sub harness when you can loop at the socket on the RHS under the engine & not have any doubt re which wires to loop as you are working with the main wiring harness wire colors rather than the sub harness wire colors which are known to vary
    NahdarVebb, eakins and -spam- like this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Got it, thank you.
    So I did find that connection and loop it.
    Sidestand switch is eliminated.
    Brvi & BR connected.
    Bike starts with the stand down.

However I still need to pull in the clucth, to create a ground for the starter relay.
    That's not diode C is it?

Nuetral switch is working so sending ground to the light but not to the starter relay.
    That's diode b not working?
    And I need to always use the clutch, activate ground there.

...but what about your note 6? Nuetral light works as expected.

Where is diode B?
  11. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    As per the pic on the web site it is in the bottom of the electrical box behind the steering head, you remove the plastic relay holder to access the wiring & diodes underneath & try not to get frustrated in the process and especially take care not to drop the self tapper screws along the way

With accessing that little area you can improve the routing of the clutch cable while you are at it * perhaps clean up the mess of switch cluster cables as well
    eakins likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I edited my post and changed my thoughts.

Isn't diode C now eliminated completely as I connected br - brvi?
  13. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good you found the socket & looped there, much more professional & less interference to the harnesses, as per the diagram diode B is in the Diode Relay which is in the electrical box behind the steering head, BMW (and others) simply use relay housings to mount diodes for different functions, they are specific to each model, the diodes internal to it are replaceable

Re the diode C fault, it may not be a good idea to ignore it in the electrical box since there is the possibility of a bare male spade connector ready to chafe/short out to other wiring if it is disconnected at that end of the diode, better to see what is actually going on, if you have factory heated grips there is a nice orange heater wire which warms up all that wiring on 1/2 heat which I have never liked

There are some parts fiche which list a grey diode relay incorrectly, one of the US dealers supplied one to an owner here which caused some grief & I had the chance to look at it & an African rider also had the grey relay supplied for some unknown reason
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ok I will check out diode b & c and test them.

What are your thoughts on b as far as my needing clutch in to start problem but not acting like your note 6?

Is b packaged just like c?

What should I confirm with the relays?

So low heat on the grips dumps heat into the wires? I always seem to use hi setting, is that easier then on the harness?
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ?

Wouldn't just connecting all 3 sidestand wires provide extra redundancy to get a ground to the motronic relay (assuming diodes all good) vs BrVi - Br?

Any downside to connecting all 3?
    You say it's ok.
  16. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Diode Relay PDF on the web site shows how the diodes are mounted internally soldered to a circuit board

My note 6 should really say if Diode B is short circuit Neutral will come on when clutch is in, I wrote it quite a while ago

It is one only Diode Relay & is normally green in color, you need to test the diodes are working & the resistor is not burned

Yes the 1/2 heat setting runs power to the grips through a 300mm length of resistor wire which, like many models, is in the electrical box. I have eliminated that & have a full variable control or full heat which then allows better use of the grips including drying out gloves using low heat

I state it is safe to connect all 3 wires as there was some claim that it was dangerous but as an emergency repair on the side of the road it is simple, overall it is better to only loop the 2 wires at the socket & understand the system
    eakins likes this.
  17. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so you just overshot the turn? I read as you went down and hit rocks after you slid off the road.
    Check your sidestand for scrape marks, might've been it scraping and not the pegs. Regrdless, the pegs will flip up and allow a lot more lean angle before the brackets ground out - possibly more than the tires can handle grip wise. From what you write I now think you just carried too much speed into the corner, froze and rode off the corner with stiff arm and wide eyes directed at the large rock you ended up hitting. Been there and most common cause for running off the road.

I seriously doubt lowering the bike has anything to do with that - have a look at MM93....
    [​IMG]
  18. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think my GS is lowered and I've scraped the sidestand on some turns, long before the pegs touch down. If anything scraped and caused a crash that would be my suspect. Even that would require a bit of "effort" to crash though.

A mate of mine actually scraped (and bent) his shift lever though that wasn't a GS.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  20. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought some pivoting type pegs made in China for under $40 off Ebay. They are stainless steel and work great on my 2013 which should be the same.
    eakins likes this.