The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Does the G650GS mufflers fit the 2 spark F650?

Or is the GPR from ebay my best choice?
  3. Zeder

Zeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the GPR on my ride. Nice pipe! Sounds great and is a little lighter that the two pipe OEM setup. Fit and finish are top notch. 20180717_104716.jpg
    Clay-doh, tkach and eakins like this.
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I need to take shots with my better phone, but here is an idea:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feels like it is matching up to the 2spark fender very well. The bike isn't running (ironically it cranks without firing) so wasn't planning to attach the extended fender yet, but will post some pics when I do. BTW, will just drilling the inner fender so the screws from the outer fender self-tap into it be a robust connection, or would I want to work out some sort of nut/washer arrangement? Guessing I'm a pioneer here...
    eakins likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pic, keep us updated.

I wonder if BMW just reused the 1 spark fender shape at the tip and made the 2 spark a 2 part fender? Or at least a very similar design & Shape at the end.
    That might explain why it fits so we'll.

Anyone have a 1 & 2 spark next to each other to compare the fender tip shape?

How much does that extension overlap and cover up? How much does it then extend past the existing fender?

I would run stainless steel hardware all the way thru. Maybe button nose Allen bolts with washers and lock nuts on the back.

Got that part #?
    PS found it: 46617655717

In nuetral, Sidestand up & clutch in to try and start?
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Just looked at pics.
    Looks like the 1 spark and 2 spark fender are about the same legnth. Only the 1 spark Dakar fender being longer as the 2 spark Dakar is the same as the GS.

And thus that 1 spark Dakar tip will just make a 2 spark GS & Dakar have the same legnth as the 1 spark Dakar.

Plenty of 1 spark GS guys added the Dakar extension so I don't see any reason why it would be an issue then on a 2 spark GS?

21888272_d.jpg BMW-F650GS-Dakar.jpg DSC02441.jpg
    f 650 gs dakar.jpg
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Found the pic of it underneath?
    1.5" , 2" extension?

I ditched my low fender and have a Happy Trails fork brace and Daystar boots on mime.

How about this lower fender extension? Or should I just make it with kydex?

GSFenderExtensionTrim.jpg AridrielDakarRearFender.jpg
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is that carbon fiber vinyl wrap (Dinoc?) On your rear fender? I like it!
  9. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-650-dakar-thread.441434/page-1498#post-36234828

Only bad part I can see bolting on the Single spark beak to the 2 spark fender is that the stress loads might not be spread correctly and that the 2 spark fender may crack.
    Another negative might be that the fender may look a bit droopy

Note below the support points for the fender is between the mounting points of the lower fender and the top mount is is behind the lip on the bottom fender supporting the top fender part

2003 Fender 6.jpg

OEM Nuts look like this

Attached Files:

10. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Stock ones have small bolts going through and nuts on the inside. Doubt self tapping would last very long, especially if you lay it down.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Looking at those pictures above, the 1 spark GS with Dakar extension would look very similar if not exactly similar to a 2 spark with extension.

Actually the 1 spark GS fender looks a little longer, than the 2 spark GS...the more I look at those pics?

Not sure how this experiment is any more droopy?

I think the droopy benchmark has already been set.

BMW R1100GS 94  5.jpg

The Dakar got an extension because of no lower fender and thus to stop more front mud or just look more GSy?

I would think this has the same effect but how much does this extension actually weigh???
    Surely not much. Anyone weigh it.

As far as fenders go the GS has a stubby fender per other bikes and is German overbuilt.

Is the 1 spark GS fender really that much stronger support wise than the 2 spark fender?

Anyone with both models who can informally test and push them down?
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'd drill and bolt all the way thru.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd go for it. If it sucks you have a black fender so just get some black hole plugs from the hardware store to plug up your drill holes.

My front fender looks like shite from the previous owner dropping the bike so I've got nothing to loose.

I went out to my bike and really pushed hard down on my fender... it's friggin German stiff and strong compared to others.

What does the extension really weigh?
    I bet not that much.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Looking back at gedrog's post to me that left black inner fender on the 2 spark actually looks more angular and stronger than the right 1 spark smoother inner fender.

Mudgaurd.jpg

I'd wager the the front tip area of the outter fender of both designs is equally strong and the under lying support fender of the 2 spark being stronger than the 1.

And thus zero issues mounting a Dakar extension.

Looks like BMW did a redesign so it looks more modern, beefy and GSy.
  15. JanisK

JanisK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!
    Did compression test on my dakar (122000Km) and it seemed high compared to what I read in forums, 250psi, did multiple times, same result.
    Is this OK? Tested compression tester with air compressor, almost the same readings. Tried with different compression tester, same results. How can compression increase that much over specs?
  16. Zeder

Zeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a 3m Carbon wrap. I got bored last winter so I decided to wrap it myself. Pretty happy with how it turned out. It has survived a winter and a full season of riding. Only negative is the carbon wrap is very rough so it attracts and holds dust pretty bad. Minor.

20171202_161859 (Large).jpg 20171209_113508 (Large).jpg 20180120_083609 (Large).jpg 20180515_133610 (Large).jpg
  17. zukjeff

zukjeff OCD,ADHD,ADV

Oddometer:

I haven't done a bike but the method used and cranking time can make a big difference.
    Throttle open, and about 6 revolutions?
    No added oil or diesel in the cylinder until you have a base reading.
  18. ADVRKD

ADVRKD Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'll never forget the first time I rode my '06 in the rain. I was on a highway and got soaked from the water coming off the front tire and over the windscreen. WTF? I added a low fender immediately. Obviously, not recommended for deep, clingy mud.

[​IMG]
  19. JanisK

JanisK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jep, exactly. When I was carnking longer, pressure did't raised any higher.
  20. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Same here the lower fender will do a 10 X better job even fitting an aftermarket Fender is better than the OEM