The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just deintegrated foam, maybe the summer heat and high humidity in Hong Kong? Above 30C and 80% for the past 5 months.
  2. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not likely, it is normally washing in petrol which will start disintegration like that, looks like a lot of oily residue on it as well, what is that ?
  3. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was almost no standing oil in the airbox, just an oily inside surface.

Went back to the bin, inspected it a bit better but it's deintegrated. Very easy to pull it apart.
  4. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK understood, I have only needed 2 UniFilter's on the Dakar & neither disintegrated like that, the first one tore where the spring sits close to the sealing rubber, what filter oil are you using & how old was the filter ?, I know Unifilter would always be interested in feedback
  5. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checked my email, bought 8 years ago from Touratech. Bike didn't run for 5 years of those 8 years, so it didn't see so much air passing through.

I'll send the guys from unifilter an email with a picture.
  6. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My best guess would be the filter oil used, perhaps one of the non Unifilter spray on oils or perhaps the long period of non use & bugs had a chew
  7. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Aaah blerrie hell half my post is missing
    Thanks I actually did find that that out beforehand in my discussions with Hans-Dieter from TFX
    I considered only buying the Shock with the RR without the HPA and afterwards getting the X-TRIG pre-loader for convenience
    I bought two of the shocks so the thought spending €640 was a painful decision I almost did go for the baseline TFX140 for the tour bike just to make it a little easier on the wallet and it is better suited for the touring.
  8. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One other thing regarding the Hydraulic Preload Adjust, they break easily. The one on the WP Fusion broke twice, seal broke and lost the hydraulic fluid.
    NahdarVebb likes this.
  9. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    So are you going to get the xtrig hpa then? Cause I am on the verge of getting the shock myself and the guy I talked to earlier this week planted a seed of doubt in my head, that if you buy a new shock, it's best to get it right the first time. Well, i told him I don't use that thing at all though I forgot to mention I have no intention riding two up. And the luggage I take with me...meh, it's hardly 15, maybe 20 kilos and while I ride with that on, I don't use full potential of the bike suspension anyway.

Never ever used hpa while travelling to stiffen the spring.

In my opinion if TFX put on the right spring and if there is a shim stack then the correct stack, it mist be the way to go.

So the idea of xtrig though having shorter span being half the price seems nice.

Now which one is the correct one, if you have found out yourself?
  10. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I ended up with the HPA I did ask them for the details around thread size and pitch, but they conveniently ignored the question, all I can say it is M52 tried to measure the pitch myself but the black anodising makes it difficult to measure with a vernier, and I cant get my thread gauge into the space, but you might be able to better gauge it, as the normal pre-load rings wont take up as much space as the HPA.
    Anyway we had long discussions and I wanted to make sure I have a spring and valving that is suitable for my needs a lot of questions and calls.

Based on this couple's experience https://lifewelove.com/en/suspension-for-a-motorcycle-expedition/ I would say there is nothing to worry about the reliability of their HPA worst case scenario if it fails it will only affect me if I carry a passenger, I was very very persistent and detailed with my weight and luggage requirements and what I wanted

Attached Files:

• TFX3.jpg
      TFX3.jpg
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
  11. Gedrog

Oddometer:
  12. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Alrighty. Reading that article, again, I strenghtened my belief I don't have to have hpa. Like look at their bike. Looks like they sold their house and packed everything they had left and carried that on the bike. Jesus. But I am not judging. The trips I make will be covered with a not so heavy bags and not so heavy equipment and don't plan doing rtw trip either.

Plus I believe that even if I order the spring now, it will be temporary as I plan to shed some weight.

Speaking of shedding weight, thanks to support and enlightment of TobyG and one local guy, I spent nice weekend in a garage with my bike and tore that bloody abs off. Interestingly, weighing that modulator, bracket, 4 pcs of pipes and both sensor cables weight approached this

20191020_180811.jpg

And considering I left in there the interpiece, bracket that connects brake hose and abs pipe to the modulator, I believe it's safe to say weight reduction is 3.5 kg. So Wayne, change the holy script. Off you go :lol3

Not sure I will reuse that bracket or take it away also, but did not have enough time to get it out as well.

Another positive is finding out, that source of oily bottom of my engine isn't at the top. But it's certainly somewhere down there. Going for the new shock, I definitely don't want to make it a grease ball as well, so have to finally do something about it. Now thinking what could cost to reseal the engine. I mean how much time is it needed to take it apart, reseal and put back together, so I can guesstimate labour price. I only dread that they might find some other terrible catastrofic failure that has to be fixed and that it would cost a fortune. Or do it myself. I don't feel that qualified but who knows.

Yet another positive is I had to take out the exhaust. Holy shit that weighs a ton. Never quite believe that it can weigh that much but that crap has to go as well. Although it's nicely silent.
    mehoww, riverflow, Cat0020 and 3 others like this.
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could save us the search and put a link to your tutorial here...
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks to those recommending GPR pipe, Heed bars, TT skid plate, modified oem shift lever and eBay led brake light (wires not colored as expected, try other combos) loving it all.
    Engine revs alot better with the GPR.
    Loving AX-41 tires too !

20191017_132036.jpg
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Exactly my point they are heavily loaded and he must have had that HPA Cranked up fully all the time when he was carrying the misses and the kitchen sink, yet the HPA is holding up so I am pretty confident in the TFX/Tractive HPA reliability, that is why I ended up going with it, I have said this before each person will set up his/her bike to his/her needs and budget, there is no one size fits all solution, but getting the baseline right for your suspension is critical to what you are going to use the bike for 90% of the time the other 10% should be compensated with added pre-load
  16. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Post removal, does the tail/brake light need to be reconnected differently at the front & rear brake levers?
  17. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    So far did just the removal. The bike is in non rideable state now. But I believe it shouldn't affect brake light, though have not checked yet. Give me time, day or two to get to the garage.
    Cat0020 likes this.
  18. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the ABS model the front & rear brake lights are separated to go to the ABS controller then combined in the Diode Relay to go to the brake light so without refreshing memory by looking at the diagrams no change should be needed. Tail Lamp is not affected of course, speed signal does need extending to dash though
    Cat0020 likes this.
  19. usernametaken

usernametaken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear - I just ordered some. Now the weather is warming up, it's time to see how few of my local surrounds are still open to public access.
    eakins likes this.
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    looking at a 2002 that has the tranny stuck in first gear ... anybody familiar with this issue and know what the culprit is?