The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now now children :D :D .... :hide

A potted history of different snorkel mods in notes I have here

Different people cut snorkel at different lengths from the rear, each reported some loss of low end at different rpm ranges

Feral5 is likely to chime in if he is not busy with bush fires & explain how a complete removal of the air box behaves

Another Oz G Series owner restored the snorkel from PO additional vents along snorkel to restore performance

All up, there are many factors in play & no one has really found a well performing snorkel cut mod

As for temperature of air into air box, all the logging I have on file here from different parts of the world & a complete Oz mid winter 500 km trip shows temp rises from around ambient to 30c+ very quickly once speed reduces or the bike is stopped so think about the effect of cutting off the snorkel & breathing the hot air from the engine, think about the forced air effect in the air box & acceleration of air as it bends down the snorkel

Talking about hot air I saw some footage from our bush fires today of a trail bike with a rather large plastic fuel tank being gunned through an active fire ground to get the hell out of the way of the fire, I suspect the adrenaline levels of the rider would have been a little high, he was not sparing the throttle, a brave cameraman as well
    eakins and Gravel Seeker like this.
  2. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    :D like
  3. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:

Oh nono, the bike is road legal, just doesn't have a current sticker. For that it need o run.
    Hard to measure emissions if the engine ain't running, no?

I know both, the bike and seller.

Agreed though, the price is a tad high for a non-runner and given that it could do with a ground up rebuild. Either that or figure iut whats wrong, fix it and ride it like you stole it. I'd almost bet it's just something simple.

That being said, good condition (but well used!) F650 Rallye bikes have sold for a lot more in the recent past.

Anyways, mayyyybe, if it doesn't sell for long enough and I could snatch if for cheap...Not like I got enough work lined up or anything.

Aaaand I'm off. On the Mediterranean now and in Tunisia tomorrow. Finished some work on the Oryx (maintenance from after the last test ride, so to speak) and am on what I call a test ride again.
  4. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Have you checked that oryx ad I sent you? That one was even more expensive.
  5. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    At that price it's not going to my house at least.
    But I don't really like the way they look anyway (visual design of both front and rear tanks). They got very old very quickly in my eyes.

Ride safe.
  6. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On snorkel modding: don't bother. Did it, scratched my head when it didn't yield a positive (noticeable) result, then eventually proceeded to purchase another one that was not butchered to put it back the way the German engineers intended it be.

As GS said - chop away if you like, but don't expect to notice any positive difference.
    riverflow, Gravel Seeker and eakins like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Well if there no performance advantage then I'm just going add my Uni filter and call it good.
    Your website kinda aludes that small inside snorkle mods are ok.

I assume this also hold true for those adding an aftermarket muffler?
    On some bikes the extra flow out the back requires extra flow in the front.

And do you still think that small water drain hole mod is a must do no matter what?
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    @WayneC
    Did BMW ever switch over to unthreaded 110mm suspension linkage bolts at a certain year? You and others mention that 110mm bolt being fully threaded but when I look at certain year fiche, it looks like like the bolt is unthreaded except at the end?

Is pulling out the only way to know?
    If mine is indeed fully threaded should I get a bolt from BMW (improved?) or just go aftermarket from the start?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    start with at $4 ebay cover and go from there.
  10. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    This one the guy was selling for €3500 and as Toby said it was a Touratech show bike
    oryx_seite_son2.jpg
    This one is going for almost twice the price
    Oryx.jpg

But wait for it a €999 for a cracked Aloy swing-arm
    cracked.jpg Cracked1.jpg

Attached Files:

11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm real happy with my GPR. Bought on Ebay $308 from Italy.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F650GS...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sounds is nice and slightly deeper. Bike revs better.
    Seems it might have some loose packing over time but i'm not concerned.

there is a decicated thread on this
  12. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
  13. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd already seen it.
    Not the cheapest on the market recently (the Touratech [stock] showroom bikes have been sold, apparently), but theres a good chance it'll sell for close to that.
    Collectors, sigh.

4 or 5 Oryx were sold in Germany in the past two years (would have to check my records, but either way that is a quarter that do exist), ranging from just under 4 to 8k €, all in great condition with low miles.

IIRC (again, have to check my records), two even came with the 280mm aluminium swingarm. Those were 100% ex-TT bikes.
  14. TobyG

Oddometer:

Yep, there a reason why they changed to a straight weld, rather than a pointed on there. Stress riser.

I think I know what bike that came off of...gonna have to check when I return.

But he couldn't possibly be serious...could he? One Grand? For a cracked swingarm?
    Either that or he is out of his mind.
    Even for a new one, you'd be unlikely to get a grand. Else I'd have sold mine on instead of mounting it :D
  15. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Don't. Who knows how fatigued the metal around the crack is or how the other side is doing.
    Or rather if you did, throw some reinforcing into the mix instead of just welding the crack.
    And keep a close eye on it.
  16. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Go ahead :lol2 I can then organize a meeting with George regarding expoensive shit stuffed in a loft. In my case, I would pretend to strap it onto a bike. Not really, I would put it on.

Pointed - you mean zigzag? But in the end they would look the same, please elaborate.

I didn't.
  17. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Sounds Awesome wish I was with you lots of pictures please :-)

I had a line on a brand new Rally F650 Dakar built up ready to race in the 2006 Dakar for £7500, (Sad owner story) I was still organising transport when they let me know that someone has offered them asking price +25% and took the bike and parts there and then :-( aaah well not the first time and it sure wont be the last
  18. TobyG

Oddometer:
    That was the wrong term there, talking about the weld on top of he swingarm, that is running diagonal there (at a 45° angle, the later revisions of the swingarm have that weld running at a 90° angle.

You can see why when you look at where the crack formed.
  19. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    :-)
  20. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Aha. Well, I am not a welder nor material engineer but both angle of attacks makes sense to me, kind of.

Perpendicular - "lets weld as little as possible"

Diagonal - "let the chunks lean against each other - wider contact area"

Plus, welds are, when done well, as strong or even stronger than base material. Aren't they?