The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Well money is money as they say.
    Don't think we have access to the Michelin tire rebate program here. Never heard of it, just knew we both like Michelin tires :D

New boots. Michelin soles.

upload_2020-7-16_9-52-47.png

upload_2020-7-16_9-53-23.png
    Christoslazy likes this.
  2. Christoslazy

Christoslazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Your failed engine was a dual spark right? Please remind me what you’ve done with the ECU! Did you keep the original unit or swapped this too?
  3. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed it was a dual spark, didn't do anything to do ECU. Will go for a ride this weekend to see if rides smoothly.
    NahdarVebb and Christoslazy like this.
  4. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Quiz: Is this a Sun eclipse or black perma-fixed bright led? That is the question 20200716_191603.jpg
  5. Christoslazy

Oddometer:
    I need some opinions here! I’m doing some maintenance to my Dakar (swing arm mod, suspension linkage bearing and seal renewal and greasing and shock absorber restoration and modification)! The rebound damping adjusting screw on the shock was stuck and finally broke but thanks to @TobyG who supplied me a used serviceable shock fork everything went good! I applied the compression damping adjustment mod (with the remote reservoir cap from a CBR 600 F3) but I took a step further and I did something that I have never read about! I increased the stroke of the fork 6 mm, by manufacturing a modified end plate below the compression stack and also by unscrewing (necessary since I had to replace the fork) and screwing back the shaft to the fork by 1 thread less (5 instead of 6)! Everything went fine, I filed the shock with nitrogen, no leaks, the piston moves smoothly etc. But I took it too far with the elongation of the shock and now it doesn’t fit to the tunnel of the swing arm! Also the wheel travel has now been increased from 210 to 240 mm and the center stand cannot be used anymore! Since every 1mm of shock stroke equals to 5 mm of wheel travel, I think that I shouldn’t have increase the stroke more than 4mm to get a wheel travel of about 230mm! Now I have two options! First is to dismantle the shock again, to reduce the stroke and the length, which is an option that I hate, since I have just finished it! The second is to get longer connecting links, in order to lower the rear again, and maybe be able to keep the center stand usable! As for the second option, has anybody modified the stock links by cutting and welding them, since it is the most cheap and fast solution I can think! Any ideas?

IMG_8186.JPG IMG_8185.JPG IMG_8184.JPG IMG_8195.JPG IMG_8196.JPG IMG_8202.JPG
    tkach, NahdarVebb and Dakar Moto like this.
  6. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made an inquiry about the miles and history to the owner. It’s all about price in the end.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 sparks say as much on the side of the engine, that is a single.
  10. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever seen a front master cylinder that’s gone 138,000 miles?

I have...
    IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

It’s shocking what 13 years of neglect will do...

IMG_2866.jpg

A few parts and less than an hour later and I’m good for another 100,000!
  11. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Firstly, over the years of reading here on YZ forks thread, I would say the ratio is slightly different. Check it.

Secondly, can't remember where I found it, but I believe it was in YZ forks thread as well (can't find it however), a guy made himself dog bones from scratch. If it's sane solution or not, I'll leave that decision to you. Observe. IMG_3343 dogpones DIY.JPG IMG_3343 dogpones DIY_2.JPG
    Christoslazy likes this.
  12. Christoslazy

Oddometer:
    I have found for safety another set of links which I will modify! Hope it gives a different ratio to the direction I want! The adjustable links seem very nice but I don’t have the means to manufacture them by myself! Probably I will create a set of fixed different length links by cutting and welding an original set!
  13. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well I would rather have one piece machined bone than this, but as far as I remember he said he obtained them at hardware shop. Anchor something or similar.
  14. moto659

moto659 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey all new here and looking for some insight. looking at 01 650gs with 15k in pretty decent shape for about 3200$ is that reasonable and what should i be looking for? im a mechanic and dirt bike rider so i can fix most things although i would rather be riding.
  15. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    I don't feel qualified to speak about technical stuff, I'll leave that to Thomas
    As for the price, I believe these bikes keep their value too much and too easy. Looked at local used F's and they are sold in this region or for even more with higher mileage.

I have to say, it always struck me when I see 19 years old bike, with 15k on the clock, either km or miles.
    Sure there are garage queens but this bike?

Nevermind, look at the usual stuff. There is not much than can go wrong, I'd say most stuff that would need checking are regular maintnance related so it shouldn't lower the price.

Somewhere around 35k I replaced timing chain tensioner as it was old design and appeared to be stuck.

Look at coolant weep hole, if there is trace visible. Some bikes fail their seals often, some don't.

Look at the bottom what sump plug there is. If it's the outer hex with rounded edges, you'll have a great weekend ahead of you.

Don't think I should mention, vehicles get old even standing in garage. Fuel pump rubber seal may deteriorate over time. Mine probably did, but at 65k km and 16 years.
  16. moto659

moto659 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks any help is appreciated
  17. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    @NahdarVebb has covered most of it.

Replace the cam chain tensioner.
    Chech the water pump weep hole for worn shaft/ seals. Maybe even replace as a precaution (pm @velo-hobo to get a hardened shaft that may eliminate further need for water pump service. I say might as there is no data to support it yet. We'll see in a few years if the theory holds.

There were a few fork failures, and it seems they all happened in a span of a couple of years about 8-10 yrs ago now. It was the very early years that were affected so this one is probably one of them. Haven't heard of a failure for many years now and I rode my 11/2000 forks for 14 years and 80K kms maybe without any issues. They were not treated nicely.

I'd be looking at the documentation. Less than 1K a year since new? When was the oil replaced last? 2003?
    You boing a mechanic I'd say it's a safe bet. Price I won't comment as prices here are way different.

Safe bet you will have to get it to a dealer to update the firmware. If you have access to a GS911, that will help determening what's in there now. @WayneC is the guru when it comes to stuff like that (and most other stuff actually). His site crossroadz.com.au is a great resoruce for all Rotax 650 owners; repairs, modifications, alternative parts etc

These engines are infamous for just working and going for a long time. 100K miles and beyond is the norm.
    In the 20 years I've been reading this forum I think I've only heard of two engines failing. Last one was @Sparqq 's just a few weeks ago. Failed pick up pump I believe. Can't really recall what was the other one, just ahve a feeling another one had some issues.

If you get it I'd do a few mods straight away
    - Get tthe G650GS radiator fan shroud to fit the VA39 SPAL fan
    - Modify the hard line oil return pipe
    - Replace the cam chain tensioner
    Clay-doh, velo-hobo and Christoslazy like this.
  18. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, I don't make any claims that the hardened WP shafts will eliminate service. The educated guess is a case-hardened shaft is less susceptible to wear. But, as GS points out, we're a ways away from being able to learn about any results.

I suspect much of the variation in service interval has to do with operating conditions and frequency of other service (oil and coolant change, for one - my sense is that impurities in these fluids can accelerate shaft wear) as well as the alignment of the shaft and seals with regards to each motor's engine case and cover.

My weep hole modification also seems to be working out just fine so far.

+1 for the oil line mode and radiator fan shroud (cheap, higher flow SPAL fans are/were readily on the auction website, at least last fall)

The only time I've got stuck on the side of the road so far with the Dakar is because my original fan crapped out in hot weather in the Sierra Nevada.

Fortunately my riding buddy was also on a F650GS and was only an hour from his home, so he rode back, swapped to a different bike and brought me his fan so we could continue our trip. And there was a pretty nice swimming hole and some cold beers at hand to pass the time :D

Had we not been able to replace the fan, I'd have simply waited for cooler temps in the evening and eased my way home. Not ideal, but had full camping gear aboard anyhow.

Now I carry a spare fan on trips further from home...
  19. Christoslazy

Oddometer:
    The higher flow fan mod has to do with the double spark models also or just the single spark, since I haven’t heard of it till now!
  20. Burner25

Burner25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t be put off with talk of water pumps seals, at 20-30.000 miles it’s not a massive deal, and the bikes great!! Check swingarm bearings, again no biggy!!
    Gravel Seeker likes this.