The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's like the weatherman saying we will have weather tomorrow- you have to be a little more specific for your guess to count.

The holes went fine, the grip tube is mounted. I couldn't get the screw to self tap into the 1/8" hole, but the 4mm tap worked on it and the screws went in easy then. The two muck ups: in routing the heating wires through the left control cluster, I made a specific hole in the housing next to the grip for them to go in. If I ever want to adjust the angle of the cluster/clutch lever, I'll have to modify that whole thing. Fingers crossed it is at a good angle now...

On the other side, I routed the wires down into the plastic of the throttle tube so they could exit into the cluster under the kill switch instead of loop around the outside like on the G. I made sure to do it in a spot with no conflict through the entire arc of rotation, but it looks like the wires want to bend back and forth at the exit point instead of making the whole wire bundle move around like I'd hoped. I'll give it a shot to see how long it works, but seems it will eventually just fray the wires there. I'll double check that I have a 4a fuse on the circuit and not 5...
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  2. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    Also I prefer a #40 for M3 tap drill. Less likely to strip out.
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think when it was printed they were still on version 0.9 of the metric system or something, so it was all good back then.

The standard table is what got me. Took me forever to realize there were two sections side by side. Competent table makers usually use the same columns and headers for various parts. Though I absolutely understand how difficult it can be to differentiate between fractions and decimals if everyone is pounding beers in the office all day...
  4. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I bought a simple tap & die set and that came with two thread gauges, one metric and one freedom, but the set is only to make metric threads I think (been a while since I used it now)

This type

upload_2020-10-22_9-26-16.png
  5. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    He could just go up a size and buy a new screw too
    Could even go freedom :D
    If the hole is threaded a regular fine pitched screw would work the same as the stock I reckon.
  6. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    I work in a place that regularly uses both systems, sometimes mixed in the same piece of equipment. For client work a drawing might have decimal inch and metric on the same page. Then there is CAD translation. It does probably lead to more beer consumption on my part.
  7. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    A drop of cutting fluid (or just wd40) is always better.
  8. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Like that is possible in the Divided States of Confusion in 2020 ?! :jack

Given a choice people won't change. Just look at the pandemic. Suggest that people mask up and they won't. Command them to (like some countries have, mine not among them) and they will.
    I'm sure you know this, but you were given a choice to step into modern age in 1866, but except for US defense, you chose not to.
    2 months and 1 day from now it's 45 years since the US put into law that metric is the way to go, but people were still given the choice and we know how that works..... :fpalm

The Metric Conversion Act is an Act of Congress that U.S. President Gerald Ford signed into law on December 23, 1975 declared the metric system "the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce".
  9. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    yeah well we've got other things to be concerned with at the moment, i think system of weights and measures can be on the back burner. for sure it is the system used by the scientific/academic and medical world, at least.
  10. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    But those mix ups can usually be fixed at a needless and unwanted cost, right? That's not always the case..... :fpalm
    NahdarVebb and puchyyla like this.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Of course, just putting it out there - why this is even an issue still?! Ironically, the size of all the freedom units are based off of metric anyway :lol3

And of course, I hope you guys fare well the next few months. Looks like there are uphill struggles on all sides right now. Good luck.
  12. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    ah yes, well thankfully what i am doing is not literal rocket science.

and then there was the matter of misumi sending 73" of linear shaft when i had ordered 73mm for wp project, so can't lose em all
    NahdarVebb and Gravel Seeker like this.
  13. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    oh yes, that was funny. Maybe not :lol3-funny, but :scratch:fpalm-funny for sure. In my early career I once shipped 175 boxes of rifle ammo to a store that ordered 175 cartridges.
  14. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    some photos then:

bsb_sm.jpg

ave g_sm.jpg

petrolia zebroid_sm.jpg
    Clay-doh and Gravel Seeker like this.
  15. puchyyla

puchyyla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reminded me an old joke:
    There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
  16. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Is that a fucking zebra?

Surely these photos were not taken on the same ride...?

The again, there is that curious case of a herd of hippos in Colombia...
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  17. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a "Zebra Crossing"...
    NahdarVebb and Don Coyote like this.
  18. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

I had it coming, no?
    :dirtdog
    Clay-doh likes this.
  19. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me add a photo too, after work ride to prevent myself from buying a KTM990;
    upload_2020-10-22_20-29-32.png
    mehoww, NahdarVebb, Clay-doh and 5 others like this.
  20. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    Not only the same ride, but on the same day! It wasn't even a long day...

There is apparently a herd of zebra and maybe some zebra hybrids on a ranch outside Petrolia. I think this one got loose, it was wandering around on the road mostly unconcerned with me or my business. I think there are also zebras down at Hearst Castle.

I have also seen camels and unless I'm completely misremembering, giraffes on the side of the road here in California, whilst out traveling on two wheels.