The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've come across some TR650 cams, and thinking about getting them. I vaguely remember they are a bit different on the TR650, am I correct? Any other differences in the engine itself? Sure the ECU is different.
  2. Christoslazy

Christoslazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting project. I was thinking of buying Schrick cams a few years ago but never did it finally, since I hadn’t any feedback from other users.
  3. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    From what I recall @WayneC said the cams were the weak point of the Husky TR650
    This was a long time ago when I mentioned this could be an interesting project. Probably 6-7 yrs at least.
  4. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The valves, head. pistons, conrod, & for the first time since the F650, even the crank of the TR650 were all redesigned, the ECU is actually the same as the final 2 years of production of the G650GS but the firmware is very different with the TR650 being a K24 CAN BUS model variant from an electrical perspective
  5. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked up some pics of the head and piston and can see it is different indeed, it is a lot different.
  6. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Still got one set of cams from the Bimota Supermono Factory kit around, just saying, if someone wants to go totally nuts :wink:

Timing duration is ridiculous though, lift is quite a bit higher (requires valve pockets to be machined into the piston), too, I got the specs written down somewhere.
    Might put them in the 725cc engine one day, just to try them out, for shits and giggles. Don't think they'd be any good for anything but lotsa power in the upper end.
    NahdarVebb, Christoslazy and Sparqq like this.
  7. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I wanna go nuts, otherwise I'll buy a Nuda 900 or KTM990.
  8. TobyG

Oddometer:
    In that case, buy a different bike.

Cheaper and easier. The aftermarket never had much to offer for the injected engine and it's not getting any better.
    And even so, without considerably shortening service intervals and engine life, you won't even get to 70 horses, I'd bet.
    That right there, if you ask me, would be forfeiting one of the major reasons I like that bike so much, the bulletproof engine (don't mention the waterpump, please).

If you're serious, I can inquire with Pami, he did mention to me that he might still have some big bore cylinders at - possibly - a cheaper rate than the list price, when I'd talked to him about the piston for my 725cc engine build a few weeks ago.
    Cams (more usable ones the than the Bimota ones) are probably still available from someone, there had been a few manufacturers who offered hotter cams.
    Head gaskets are available off the shelf up to 105.5mm, although they need some minor modifications, since they are meant for the carb'd engine.
    Base gaskets are easy enough to make yourself, better anyways, to get the correct thickness.
    Fuelling is a different story.
    Custom maps were not really available. There is an italian company that mentions different maps on their website, but tbh, I'd never contacted them, since I didn't think I'd ever be building a race engine.
    And now I have a Rallye map ECU, anyways, albeit with a map for a stock engine, I might be able to get access to one for a 700cc engine. But before I call that favor, I'd like to figure out how to get the map off of the ECU via the diagnostic plug, if at all possible.

The engine I'm building is using a big bore cylinder, cast with thicker walls, current bore is 105.5mm (725cc), with enough meat to go up to a max of 108mm (760cc).
    Was intended for a carb'd engine, thereby I'll have to do some work on a GS cylinder head to make it work.
    With a stock cylinder, you can't really go much beyond 102mm (678cc), maybe 103.5 (698cc) is still gonna be ok, if you don't overdo it with the compression, but that's it.
    mehoww, NahdarVebb and Christoslazy like this.
  9. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off topic, but I'm sure y'all will appreciate it:

Owners Manual.jpg
  10. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want a different bike, thinkering with the bike is half the fun. Just riding is boring and after watching Allen Milyard I'm thinking about engine stuff. https://www.youtube.com/user/millyardviper

Edit: I found a TR650 head, cilinder and piston, brand new. But big bore is much more exciting, you got me interested Toby. image_2020-10-24_132839.png
    mehoww, NahdarVebb and puchyyla like this.
  11. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fixed it today. Some grease and later grime had found their way to the bolt that I used to connect the rear brake pedal to the plunger that moves up when the brake pedal is pressed. So basically the rear end of the brake pedal wasn't rotating freely. I loosened that bolt, sprayed some kerosene through the hole to let the grime come out and the lever started moving up nearly all the way. Then with the help of pliers I slightly bent the brake light switch downwards. Working fine without any issue now.

I don't see any holes, just two little grooves. They are sitting fine. Fixed it as described above. But you have a good point. I will be thoroughly cleaning the braking system over the winter just to make sure everything is alright. The brake oil in the rear brake is just above minimum, and looks dark brown with possibly some sludge a little bit of sludge like stuff at the bottom of the reservoir.
    velo-hobo likes this.
  12. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks who run knobby tires, did you experience reduced ability to use rear brake due to ABS intervention with knobbies? After getting the AX 41 tires my rear ABS comes on really really fast on pavement and I am concerned that someday I may not be able to cut speed with rear brake only while leaned over in an unfamiliar curve. Off pavement I have not had any issue with these tires though.

Do you use a radiator guard? If you do then which one? I don't have one, but as I am going more and more off pavement I am thinking of getting one.

And where do you attach your tool tube especially if you have the stock exhaust?
  13. GuiVenture

GuiVenture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have a F650GS Dakar '01 on which I'm doing the modification for sealed swingarm bearings.

I followed the procedure in the manual but I can't extract the swingarm axle, I have trouble turning it with a 22mm socket wrench and I don't get any result when I try to push it on the nut side.

Does anyone have a miracle solution where I go a little bit harder?

And I have a second question, I have a REF-52537651959 saddle that according to my research is the standard height for an F650GS (not dakar), it is much too low for me and I have trouble finding the high model REF-52532345735 on second hand, so I will raise mine with foam and take the opportunity to change the upholstery (which is much too slippery).

So I wanted to know if the hulls are the same between all the saddles, is it only a matter of density and foam height?
  14. Christoslazy

Christoslazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The same to me. It took me hours to remove it. Try with a pulsed electrical or compressed air wrench to break loose the rust or with an extension to produce more torque. Also after removing the nut, hit the axle with a similar sized metal shaft to push it away. It’s all about patience I believe. Good luck.
  15. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Just a hammer and a steel rod
    I just happen to get this with a job lot but they have proved useful Extra long parallel punch
    Mine pretty much looked like this

Rusted linkaged.jpg
    Christoslazy likes this.
  16. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Allen has built some pretty wild bikes seen the Flying Millyard it is beautifull piece of engineering
    Sparqq likes this.
  17. TobyG

Oddometer:
    @Gedrog @Sparqq

Check out his downhill bicycles, those are incredible.

Here is the first:
  18. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is a beauty, can you imagine to make that electrical?
  19. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Yes saw these amazing conceptual bikes and they were extremely successful I especially liked his MR002 shame he did not get any traction on these but big bike manufacturers want to sell parts not build unbreakable bikes
    Sparqq likes this.
  20. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Another crazy bunch KTM 990 engine in a off-road go-kart