The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone offers something like this, but seems there could still be a magnet around the valve intake. Once the bulk of the oil is drained, remove the plug and look at the magnet...
  2. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    Could put a magnet in my drain pan and do it that way I guess. But also I assume one wants that magnet in the drain plug to catch the small particles so they don't foul up the operating bits. It's not just for diagnosis, but also prevention.
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    You could put one or more magnets on the oil filter; you'd still be accessing that every time you change the oil. I suppose you could also epoxy a magnet to the outside of the filter cover.
  4. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Sorry, biannually. So, every 24 months. My bad.

How many wires are there? Just the white one? If the wire(s) is/are torn you have to do a proper repair job and I doubt you'll be able to that without cutting the entire thing, removing insulation, adding individual heat shrink then soldering and insulating individual wires so they don't make contact with each other. I'd also add another larger heat shrink over the lot for general protection.
    Anby likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of decent looking oil drain valves out there. The problem with one for the crankcase drain is the height of the valve + adapter (I haven't seen any that are M24x2.0 thread).

I put this together to drain the oil tank while on the road, but decided it would still be difficult to access at the rear of the engine
    IMG_20210722_121018544.jpg
    IMG_20210722_121046052.jpg
    It would replace the banjo bolt at the back oil line.
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    My solution to the mess with the oil drain is I cut the top and bottom out of an old pill bottle that just fits into the hole in the HTP plate. Slide the bottle up, remove the plug with my M10 hex key and all the oil runs right past the plate into my catch pan.
  7. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    Gonna have to modify an M24x2.0mm plug or hex bushing then :lol3

Seriously though it's not really a big deal to pull the drain plug, given I don't put enough miles on my bike to do it more than the minimum once a year. Mostly is the annoyance of removing the bash plate, which I can solve in other ways.
  8. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    There's one called Fumoto, or something like that, which seemed popular on here a decade+ ago. No idea how they've been over time, but wonder if they'll allow for full drainage or if "a lot" is left in the engine if the valve inlet is "much" higher then the bottom of the sump. I use quotes to indicate not very large amount nor very tall valve.
  9. Quench

Quench Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Fumoto. I have one on my 4Runner. Works great - it's just a little spring loaded lever and the oil drains straight down in a nice little stream. No mess, no fuss. And yeah, it's shaped just like a drain plug, so I can't see why it wouldn't drain the entire pan.

I just assumed everyone was using these on the Dakars. It's on my list of to-do's just behind the LED tail light.
  10. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    There's no alternative to the GS911 apart from official dealer network.

I don't have ABS so haven't really read up on it, I'm just repeating what I've read here. Check crossroadz.com.au for more and better information.
    It depends on the model year. The first ABS requires a 911 dealer computer system to activate the ABS pump while bleeding. I think from gen 2 of the ABS you can bleed it like a non-ABS bike. Also think there's a bleed screw on the brake reservoir itself on the handlebar. Mine doesn't have this, but think at least the X models have this.
    Anby likes this.
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
  12. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
  14. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    They are solid no issues I used them on my ZX12R and ZZR1400
  15. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    22mm doesn't even get it half way to the bash plate (56mm below the drain).

But at $50+ USD, I think I'll stick to using an old pill bottle and a nitrile glove.
    Gravel Seeker and Don Coyote like this.
  16. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Femco makes a low profile version
    compactdrainplug_1.jpg
    NahdarVebb likes this.
  17. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my KTM, where no 3rd party tool exists, I just bleed as normal. Then go for a quick scoot and activate the ABS front and rear a few times.
    Then re-bleed.

Works perfectly fine. Did this on the 650 many times as well, but just picked up the GS911 recently.
    To be honest, pretty underwhelmed by what the device is capable of on the 650.
    Def not something worth buying just for bleeding IMO.
  18. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to give it a try this weekend, thanks for the tip!

So if I understand correctly you are suggesting to create a brace with attachment points in the windshield as well as the fairings?

It doesn't seal completely at the base, I have some spacers between the headlight assembly and the windshield. The windshield can be pushed back and forth while stationary as the four mounting points on the headlight assembly aren't really secure. Id during the ride I use one hand to hold the top of the windshield steady, there is a significant decrease in turbulence.

Both wires are nearly severed. I will have to cut the wires completely before soldering.
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    He didn't say the accident would happen, just it was waiting- probably a long time.

What is the replacement cost for the plug, $20+? For less than $30 extra I'm giving it a considering...
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has gone up (the good plug at least) P/N 11 13 7 708 604 SCREW PLUG, MAGNETIC - M24X2 $32.14