The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check on all the temps, although the porch only got up to 95 or so today. Wait, 100C? Is that to get a cool SKF brand into your palm like Indiana Jones or something?

Question is, can I pound/press off the new bearing from the stem without destroying it?
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inverting the stem to pound the bearing on
    IMG_20210723_164213179.jpg
    The vise is clamped tight on a block behind the triple clamp so the stem is loose between the jaws.
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey look! There's a spacer between the triple and the bearing! This belongs in the chain gang FAQ for so many reasons...
  4. wpoll

wpoll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don, your friend should be ok to tap the new bearing back off the stem so the dust/grease shield can be fitted. Like there is a choice anyway... the dust/grease shield needs to be on there. :-)
  5. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Also, bought one of these used (*and cheap) from an inmate:
    [​IMG]
    CycleWorks airhead steering race puller. It works wonderfully on both my airhead and my 650.
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem is if I destroy the bearings, they won't be much good next week when I need them. As is, if I rode it, could I get one or two thousand miles on them before they got destroyed by collateral damage? That would give me enough time to get a new set ordered. Otherwise, if destroyed by immediate removal, I could try an old set in there right now. Seems like notches in the races are the main component of notched steering- the old bearings still look pretty round (can't tell how true the races are though). If I can find a bookie, I'll take odds on the best choice and hold the purveyors of accepted wisdom strictly accountable for my choice...
  7. wpoll

wpoll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tapping the new bearing our won't hurt it - as long as you are only applying force (trauma!) to the inner race, and no force is transferred through to the roller bearings themselves. A pair of punches the correct size, through the two holes in the lower triple clamp (tree) can be used to slowly drive the new bearing (half) back off the stem.
  8. velo-hobo

velo-hobo *_*

Oddometer:
    I haven't had my steering head apart but it looks like that shield is cupped - if so, it probably helps keep the grease from running out, in addition to keeping dust away. Gravity n such. But I don't think it'll cause you to wreck the steering head on the frame nor the stem if you leave it out til next time.

[edit - unless they get all rusty cause water gets up in there!! heh :lol3]
  9. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Yes just boiling put bearing in a bag submerge in boiling water
    Removing the bearing from the steering stem is pretty hard not to damage the bearing but the below is the closest to not damaging is this method but not using a hammer to drive them out
    I created a metal plate with two even lengths of steel pins with close to the diameter of the two holes and threaded them into the steel plate
    Used a bottle jack and some 2 by 4 for and built myself something that resembles a press and managed to get the bearings of with limited damage to the bearing and the plate
    Driving-bottom-SHB-out-480.jpg
  10. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I have a scrap piece of Stainless Steel Tube 32mm OD 29mm ID 1M long -1.5mm Thickness just lift and drop on the bearing and it seats bearing evenly without hassle
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  11. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this refers to the Classic model that had oil in the frame.
  12. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Sure. Went back and fixed that typo :thumb

The XT has been good so far, but I do miss some of the features on the Zumo660 like more data on main screen instead of hidden behind a button, so you could keep an eye on four data feeds at once while the XT only shows two, but has a lot more data available if you tap either of those two.
  13. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I've successfully removed a lower bearing once. Put the whole lower with stem and bearing in a press and pressed the stem out of the lower. As a side effect, the bearing came off the stem.
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    All the F & G lower triples I've seen have the stem welded. Pressing out the stem must have been one heck of a job.
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Doable just need to grind the weld off
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working toward a proper reinstall of everything, is there someplace that will make clutch and throttle cables with our fittings to custom lengths?
  17. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    You can buy the parts from Venhill and make your own, but I don't know of any company that will use your bits and make a cable. Maybe some local shop will.
  18. AnnaTwin

AnnaTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Dakar riders - I have a question for those of you who ride off-road:
    I've had a regular (non-Dakar) 2002 F650GS for five years now but it was primarily one of our "visitor bikes" for when friends and family came to visit and wanted to go riding with us.

I've got 20+ years of sport bike experience and only recently got into off-road riding. I am beginning to realize that the F650GS is not set up for that and I am working my way through this and other forums to understand whether it's worth the time and money to modify the bike, or just leave it as is and buy something else for trails.

The very first thing I want to do is move the foot pegs further back (at least 1 inch/2.5cm, ideally 2inches/5cm), so I am not loading the frontend too much when I ride on the pegs. I know of the Ratel kit and it looks like a great solution.
    I'm wondering what others have done to move the pegs back - and how it has changed/improved off-road handling.

I am also wondering about small/easy suspension upgrades - I am not invested enough in this bike to swap out the entire frontend. Are there any less extensive upgrades that improve off-road handling?
    I've read a lot about Racor's Intiminators but it sounds like they primarily improve suspension performance on pavement. Any thoughts on that are very much appreciated.

I assume that Dakars see a lot more trails than the regular F650GS so I am keeping my fingers crossed for your collective wisdom and experiences.
  19. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    If you really want to do trail riding I would recommend something lighter anything up to 500 CC a long day on the challenging trails will be exhaustive because this bike is heavy and as per the original post 5'4" (162 cm) and 125 lbs (57 kg) it would be a challenge to pick up the bike.

F650GS is a more touring bike suited for Tarmac, hard-pack gravel, and Graded road.

YZ conversion is the most common for upfront Youll need a Dakar rear shock to use the Raising links that @Aquatic makes or you can order TFX shock through Ted porter or direct from TFX quoting the below part numbers
    Youll need to upgrade the wheels to 21-inch front 18 inch rear Woody's wheels or look for Dakar wheels on eBay stock they are 21 and 17inch
    You'll also need to upgrade the centre & Side stand.

TFX Shock giving you 250mm Travel
    141-0053-01 (advanced hose) or 140-0053-01 (IFP shock)
    The 2 main differences between the 141 and the 140.
    The 140 is our entry level shock and is “only”rebound adjustable.
    The 141 has an external reservoir (140 not) and is fully adjustable compression and rebound.

The overall expense is $4000+ and for that money, you can get something 2nd hand in the 250-500CC Range a lot more capable off-road fitted with good aftermarket parts like bigger tanks Bark busters different cockpit, etc.
    NahdarVebb and Gravel Seeker like this.
  20. AnnaTwin

AnnaTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the detailed response, Gedrog.
    I've been doing some trail riding on a 1250GS, so the 650 actually feels really light. :)
    The 1250 is much better balanced though, so there's that.

I'm mostly looking for "small" upgrades, it doesn't have to make the perfect trail bike out of the 650. It will still be a "visitor bike", just one that is more ADV capable.