The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    No confusion. Just pointing out that a lot of folks think the 12gm cartridges will fill an entire 140/80-17 tire. As is, one of those monster 68gm cartridges will only get it to about 20 PSI.

I carry two of the cartridges just in case I have trouble seating the bead. All my rims have been converted to tubeless and if I can't seat the bead I'm toast.
    ZanderMan and Birdu2 like this.
  2. ZanderMan

ZanderMan Needs monitoring

Oddometer:
    Ah understood, much appreciated knowledge.
  3. Urn

Urn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow that's one hell of a problem to have in Australia, just sneaking up on you like that..

I am definitely not ready for those kind of problems yet, I could hardly get my backwheel back on the other day
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  4. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Med kits are a must though most store bought have little to do with traumatic injuries.
    I pack a kit in a waterproof tail bag on the passenger seat and inform whom I’m riding with where it is and what’s in if I’m knocked out. Tourniquets are small and light. Blood clotting substance and a roll of gauze. Pain killers and something to sanitize. Vodka will do in a pinch. :1drink After setting a guys broken leg on the trail a few years back I’ve included a SAMS splint.
    Emergency beacons are a good idea too for remote areas if someone is gravely injured. I always carry one while riding solo and keep it in my jacket for access.
    This is the splint we fashioned out of a thin foam cooler cut up for padding, a straight piece of wood, a bit of stretch gauze and a tow rope to secure everything.
    upload_2021-10-8_17-12-26.jpeg
    Heck, duct tape and a paper towel,rag or bandana make a decent sprained ankle brace.
    This was not due to riding. I can roll my ankle on a cigarette butt.
    upload_2021-10-8_17-22-9.jpeg
  5. Bbrreenntt

Bbrreenntt Fuelling your Appetite for Adventure

Oddometer:
    Replacement Handlebar.... Anyone know a good ebay store for F650 parts? Prepping my Dakar for sale in the spring and need a replacement handle bar. Would prefer to not buy new from the dealer. anyone here have an old and straight bar they want to sell?
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend taking a Wilderness First Aid course. Takes a couple of days but well worth both the time and the money. Wilderness First Responder would be even better but take a lot more time.

I also carry a lot of First Aid supplies and equipment. Doesn't weigh much put takes up a bit of space. SAM splint and inReach among the gear. I keep the tourniquet in my jacket pocket.
  7. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    I think you got my point backwards. The standard socket on bmw is ok even when moving. But as it is small for standard CL plug, an adapter had to be used. And while a plug sit fixed into bmw socket all the time, the CL plug of my phone charger was constantly falling out of the other end of the adapter (CL end). CL suffer this greatly.
    ZanderMan likes this.
  8. Birdu2

Birdu2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Overheating update.

Ok guys, i went yesterday for a test drive on and off road. After change side of the radiator from a X Challenge one, add the new thermostat and do a cleaning service to my radiator onces that it was already open. Im uploading images of the part the i took out, with the broken tab for the thermostat pin. And the donator radiator :) ( do they sael this parts ? so you dont have to buy a brand new radiatior just for a broken tab ? )

Red overheating light didnt come on, but the side oil deposit felt very very hot do ...... Question for you guys, since the bike was running ok without the thermostat and the light didnt come on. Now the i fix and put the new thermostat, how can i tell the thermostat its working ? and fit into the hole of the radiator tab ?

Next step its the welder, wich is one of those guys hard to get a hole to. Need to insist and show up at his place many time until i win, making him tired of seeing me !! :)

( I have a new little issue, the radiator guys when unmounting the fan from the radiator, broke one of the 3 legs of the fan frame ..... the bottom one ..... any advice in how to secure plastic with plastic ?

Thank you !!

IMG_3047.jpg IMG_3048.jpg IMG_3052.jpg
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I have a temperature gauge I added to my bike. Starting from a cold motor, I watch the temperature rise as the motor warms up. It will climb steadily up to the temp where the thermostat opens, around 85C, then the temp will either drop just a few degrees or stay flat for a minute or two and then start climbing again. That's because at that point, the cold coolant that has been trapped in the radiator gets dumped into the coolant stream, dropping the overall temperature briefly. If you have access to a GS911, you could monitor the engine temperature from there.

The oil tank will get just as hot as the engine, around 105C. Not sure if you have a thermometer available that can tell you if it is getting that hot, but it shouldn't be able to get any hotter than the coolant.

Welding plastic depends on knowing what kind of plastic it is. For ABS you can use a solvent to weld it. PVC/CPVC same thing. Many other plastics can be thermally welded.
    I'd start by cleaning the pieces very well and then using some JB Quik to epoxy the two chunks together. You might even epoxy a piece of plastic or metal alongside to reinforce it.
    Birdu2 likes this.
  10. Birdu2

Birdu2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks @Motopsychoman !!
  11. ZanderMan

ZanderMan Needs monitoring

Oddometer:
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Once plastic has become brittle with age and heat exposure, while it can still be welded, if it's highly stressed, don't expect it to last long.
    Birdu2 likes this.
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Dunno how big bleed screw is the

14 Vent screw M6X12 ZNS3 1 11127707432 $0.87
    14 Vent screw M10X1 1 11127728618

but this would be the perfect location for it
    Bleeder-07-S.jpg
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    M6. TTO makes a temp sensor that is M6x1.00 but too long. Might have to add a spacer to make it work.
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Yes the sensor is unknown quantity
    But the fiche also is not clear giving you two thread sizes
    The unthreaded point on this sensor might be a challenge as well but not impossible if you have access to correct tools
    [​IMG]
  16. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    How do you bleed it then :dunno

Nah, @ZanderMan get the one from Trailtech. I think the radiator hose is 22mm, but check that before ordering.
  17. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    22mm is correct.
  18. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    A bolt is replaced by a bolt in sensor whats the diff:dunno

Unless you have one of these with a hole in the mirrel cyrill

Bleeder-05-S.jpg
  19. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Of course I do - I thought everyone had bolts with that hole.
    NahdarVebb and Birdu2 like this.
  20. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Nope this is mine and 3 engines with the same bolt
    [​IMG]
    Sertao Engine note just a Torx

$_57fhfht.jpg

suspect it might have a groove cut in the thread easily achieved with a Dremel and a stable hand
    bleed.jpg

Found this guide using a stage 6 temp gauge and 26mm KOSO pipe connector just hit translate

https://despertaferro2008.wordpress...de-termometro-de-temperatura-de-refrigerante/

IMG_1006 (1).jpg IMG_0590.jpg