The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    When you inspect the original pictures you can see the left side is pretty much a goner.
    I was surprised that it did not snap already

The best would have been to strip everything out, clamp, and then weld it
    but job is done hope it will last for your travels

[​IMG]
    NahdarVebb and Birdu2 like this.
  2. Birdu2

Birdu2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know Gedrog ..... let hope for the best ..... ( We did clamp the left side to weld )
    ZanderMan likes this.
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember a while back discussing how the newer, complex BMS systems on the LiFe batteries seemed like a potential added failure point and not worth it? Well, not being one to listen to myself, I went and proved what a bad idea they are. The anti gravity restart didn't hold enough in reserve to even try to turn over the engine this morning. After 4 failed bump start attempts I found someone with a jump pack to lend. It started the engine, but as soon as I dropped near idle it sent the pack into panicked mode and stalled. Seems to me like the anti gravity is pretending it isn't there at all. When the jump pack was plugged in, the temp light flashes continually. Is that the bmse saying there is insufficient power or something?
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the flashing Temp light, but having a battery with a basic BMS (limits over-charge voltage and a battery-saver low voltage cut-off) seems essential. You are talking about the over-temp light on the dash?

Maybe your battery isn't there. Maybe it has an internal open in the circuit (or the BMS took a dump). A volt meter should tell you that very quickly. If the battery took a dump, Anti-Gravity should make good on it.
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still piecing together the problem. Since the new to me GS doesn't have an LED headlight like my previous Dakars, I guess the 90W jacket and heated glove liners overloaded the alternator riding last night and emptied the battery. Odd that I didn't notice any pulsating with the headlight like I have previously running off the alternator, no warning, the LiFe just winks out. Still not sure if the temps overnight being slightly below freezing made the restart reserve too little to do anything in the morning, or if the restart circuitry failed to protect the reserve while the motor was running. Someone with a truck and jumper cables gave me a full jump and it acted as normal after that. Gonna pick up a spare battery and carry it the rest of the way home though...
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the BMS failed to account for odd circumstances. With my unBMSed Shorai I would have been watching for a problem and not counting on the BMS to take care of something the engineers didn't forsee- lost more than a day of travel, a bunch of money, and key time I needed at home by thinking high tech was smart enough to take whatever a simple trip would throw at it...
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  7. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely worth reporting to Mfr, they are on Advrider in one of the battery threads
  8. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Been so long since we discussed it now, but far as I recall, think this was the common census on the tech.
    From way back I've read somewhere that one of the the lights doubles as a warning light for no charging; either oil or temp.
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Let me suggest making up a set of jumper cables for yourself so that all you need is another vehicles and not someone else with cables :thumb
  10. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a set of these with me
    upload_2021-10-15_8-26-41.png
    Not very large to pack but a bit heavy. I've used them a few times to jump other folks bikes.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    @TobyG and I made identical sets to be able jump each other's bikes as well as get a jump from someone else or possibly jump another bike. Not sure there's enough juice to jump a car.
    1m cable is mounted to the battery and have Anderson Power Pole's at the other end (under the seat). The 1m jumper lead has the same Power poles one end to alligator clips the other end. I also have PP's on my charger instead of alligator clips so charging is very easy.

Like so
    (No.1 is in protective conduit)
    [​IMG]
    dazzadm, Don Coyote and Motopsychoman like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Below freezing is probably the answer here - lithium batteries can't deliver enough current when cold. You need to warm them up with a few minutes running the lights. If something else caused the battery to be run mostly down, there may not have been enough reserve capacity for this, regardless of what the reserve circuit was trying to do.
    Birdu2 and Gedrog like this.
  13. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cold was definitely a factor. But of the dozens of times I've had serious battery problems, I can't think of one time that it wasn't. So if the "reserve" in the restart feature isn't reliable in the cold, I'm not seeing the point of it at all. I paid extra money and got 6.6ah Vs the 8ah that comes with the older Anti-gravity 12 cell, for an unreliable safety feature...
  14. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Btw, while getting the jump start, I was trying to figure out how to get back on the road after. Seems to me you need to carry the tail cover in a panier until you have ridden long enough to recharge the battery and turn off the ignition? Is that really the out-of-the-box solution BMW used through 2019?!

Also the little positive lead at the front of the seat isn't substantial enough to put normal sized alligator clips on, we needed someone to hold them in place manually while jumping. Is this a metric sized lead requiring you to flag down European tourists for help with?
  15. puchyyla

puchyyla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is metric M6x1, common used bolt size on car battery terminals here. It is used for connecting batteries in multi-batteries systems, for connecting DC/AC power inverters etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don Coyote likes this.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Do you mean because you need a key to open the rear compartment and in order to get the key you have to turn the bike off? Can't recall, but do you need the key when putting the seat back on? I thought you could just click the seat in with the lid closed.
    BMW's solution is probably to prevent the battery from going flat.... :D
    Don Coyote likes this.
  17. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, you can lock the panel in place right after releasing the seat. The problem for me is that I have the TT tank bag with base plate, I'm guessing the same as yours. The straps on the base plate interfere with the front of the seat where it slips into the discs at the back of the air box. I need to pinch the seat from both sides while pushing down on the back and have one too few arms to do this reliably. Usually takes me two or three tries, so I leave the cover off to release the seat again. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to ride without the seat engaged like that...

Sorry, not getting the flat battery reference...
  18. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    So do RotW drivers use jump start cables that bolt on instead of using clips?I thought the main point of a spare lead away from the battery compartment was to enable jumps without taking off plastic...
  19. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I don't have that base anymore since I'm now just using the tank bag/ not the VP45 with the side bags. This only has a single strap around the steering head and two straps down under the seat. I have to be careful where I place the straps though. Works most the time without the straps being in the way. I can't recall what that tail section looks like anymore, just figured the lid on the tail compartment wasn't obstructing the seat latch when re-mounting the seat.
    Forget the flat battery joke :-)
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The panniers don't work with my crash bars so I don't use them anymore either. Were you able to convert the same tank bag to work without the base plate or did you buy a new bag?