The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    It's a new one. The first one that came in the VP kit was too far gone after a year in the Oz sun and dust s chucked it. The new one lacks the external pockets which I miss. I also don't think they make it anymore.
  2. Renaissanceman

Renaissanceman DON'T PANIC! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a picture atm, but I threaded a piece of bailing wire over the top of the brake light and into the tail compartment where I wrapped it around the top of the latch lever. Took about five minutes including finding the wire.

With this setup I can pop off the seat even if I have stuff strapped to the cargo rack w/o having to have the key. Which is a real pita on my bike - I have to hold everything in perfect alignment or the latch won't go. Grrr...

I don't regularly have to park in sketchy neighborhoods, so I'm not worried about someone messing with my bike, and I don't carry anything in there anyway.
  3. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Mines a simple bolt through the rear fender so I just grab and slide it back from below. Surprisingly, rarely very dirty, so no problem getting my hands dirty.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've since trimmed down the luggage rack

[​IMG]
  4. MattBris

MattBris n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys
    tried searching this post but was unable to find what I was looking for
    Been given a 2003 Dakar with zero tool kit

So my question is does anyone have a list of tools that they carry or photos
    I making up a list every time I do a job but sooner or later I'm going to get caught out
  5. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Best way to do it because you find the tools that really work

Below is for guidance only it all depends on what you are packing for day-tripping or a long-distance multi-day ride week or more
    And also if you go back a few pages the topic is discussed where Motion pro tire levers and such are discussed
    But packing and other miscellaneous items like quick steel, voltmeter, fuses tape, etc is discussed in the very handy thread called

The Toolkit Thread

Better make sure you can resist buying some of the toolkits talked about

http://www.billmallin.com/motorcycle/tools.htm

The genuine BMW Tool Set contains the following tools:

• wrench 8mm/10mm
    • wrench 24mm
    • wrench 17mm/19mm
    • screwdriver PH1/TX25
    • screwdriver (Torx) 15,20,30, 30 (special), 40, 45
    • spark plug wrench
    • tool bag
    Below is ready-made kit's but I always find they are lacking or I would use different tools to do the same job

Adventure Designs Tool Kit for BMW F650 Single includes:

These guys actually list the tools in their kit

DELUXE UPGRADE OPTION: • Ultra Compact 3/8 Ratchet with Comfort Grip/ 3/8 inch driver
    • Sliding T-Handle / 3/8 inch driver (driver tool that can supply significant torque,
    • Two Custom Heavy Duty Pouches for storing toolkit under the F650 Single Seat
    • Micro-Fiber cloth 14"x14" / dirt and grease rag
    • 1/4" Bit Driver Adapter / screw driver bits
    - Phillips screw driver bit
    • Slot screw driver bit
    • Quality Metric Combination Wrenches made in USA with a full polish finish / various fasteners ($63.24 value)
    • Quality Metric 6-Point Sockets on Storage Rail made in USA with a full polish finish / Oil Filter Wrench, Drive shaft, and various fasteners
    • Spark Plug Socket / Spark plugs
    • 11 Piece Compact Torx Bit Set on Storage Rail / Bar ends, Rear wheel, shock mount, Caliper mount & exhaust, Heads, spokes, brake discs, Front end assembly, Body panels, and other misc. Fasteners
    • 11 Piece Compact Hex Bit Set on Storage Rail
    • 3/8 inch to 1/4 inch driver adapter / Drives small sockets
    • 3/8 inch drive 3 inch extension / Access to bolts and for various driver configurations
    • 3/8 inch drive 6 inch extension / Access to bolts and for various driver configurations
    • Heavy Duty Oil Filter Strap Wrench ($14.95 value)
    • Locking Needle Nose Pliers / Misc. repairs

DELUXE UPGRADE OPTION: Emergency Repair Supplies / Rescue Tools:
    • 4x 6 inch 4x 3 inch black zip ties / misc. hose and fastener repairs
    • 1 foot of Rescue Tape / creates self-adhering water tight bond, misc. hose and seal repairs involving fluids
    • 2 feet of heavy duty duct tape / misc. repairs
    • 1 straight edge blade / cutting and misc. repairs
    • 1 foot of black electrical tape / electric wire repairs etc.
    • 3 Feet of stainless steel wire / spark cap removal and misc. repairs

Desert Fox overland Pro Kit

Motohansa BMW PRO SERIES TOOL KIT
    MattBris and ZanderMan like this.
  6. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's more than my Sertao came with. It came with a 14/19 open end wrench, the 24mm axle wrench, spark plug wrench, screwdriver (convertible), T25 and T45 Torx wrenches.

EDIT: I forgot to include the little plastic fuse puller...
  7. Gedrog

Oddometer:
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course, that isn't what I carry on the bike. I carry a ridiculously huge number of tools. About all that I would need to do a full teardown on the road would be a torque wrench, a few bearing pullers and the tool to remove the castle nuts from the rear engine mounts.
    And why do I carry all that crap? So I'll hopefully never need to use it on my bike.

What I have found very useful to carry is M5, M6 and M8 taps and dies. Can't tell you how many buggered bolts and threaded holes I've cleaned up on folks' bikes over the years. And the tools take up almost no space.
    Diggar and ZanderMan like this.
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Mine didn't come with either of those screwdrivers. It came with crappy (slippery) torx keys and I can't recall a screwdriver at all, but maybe there was a red(?) PH1 for the two wood screws on the airbox.
    Spark plug "wrench" is a a socket and a metal rod. It is also a wrench extender handle to get more leverage on the 24mm shorty wrench.
  10. Renaissanceman

Oddometer:
    The critical question would be - what are you prepared to do? What is your experience with wrenching on motorbikes?
    Can you fix a flat tire?

One thing to do is to strip off the plastic, take off the wheels, and have a good look at what you've bought. Maybe change the oil, throw in a new battery - even check the valves...
    Check the wheel bearings - the suspension will almost certainly need some love. Etc.

Keep track of what tools you use along the way, and that's pretty much what I carry when I'm riding solo in the woods.
    I happily suffer the weight penalty because it's secondary to getting to sleep in my own bed that night.
    Your priorities may vary,,,

Congrats on the bike!
    Good luck!

IMG_3513.jpg

Rotax owners fan club member
    '03 Dakar - 146,000 miles
    ZanderMan and Gravel Seeker like this.
  11. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Yes that must have been a later addition
    BMW 71 60 7 691 411
    I have the useless Black Screwdriver on all three my 07's
    But then again the others look pretty much one turn screwdrivers and resin back end will split
    71-60-7-691-411_1.jpg
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  12. MattBris

MattBris n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All

One thing that really annoying me about this bike is the instrument cowling I can get it to fit together perfectly when off the bike
    But once I install it on to the bike it open up at the seems on the side
    Does anyone have a fix for this issue ?

View attachment 3258866 View attachment 3258866 DSC_0119.JPG
  13. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Was that thing ever ridden? :kat
  14. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of those black ones that are philips one side and flat head the other, but pretty sure the Dakar didn't come with one (mine are from various cars). But those coloured ones look familiar so probably came with both of those.
    And there were one torx key for the plastic and another one for the chain adjusters and possibly one or two more. Is it the same size on the adjusters as the bottom screws on the rear plastics? And my two large airbox rear bolts were originally with a center threaded torx hole. Cant recall what size it was - I've changed them to the external 24mm ones from the later model, but if unless those center torx ones were a shared size with something else it would have had its own torx key as well.
  15. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying this set for years, sure occasionally something gets changed for a lighter tool, but overall it's the same. This get gets me through a comfy water pump or clutch replacement in the field. Carry it either on the GS, the scooter or now in the car.

upload_2021-10-24_12-38-19.png
    MattBris likes this.
  16. Renaissanceman

Oddometer:
    Nope,,, that there is a brand-spanking-new $600 radiator that replaced this one

IMG_3485.jpg

Close to 100k miles on that one.

Upgraded the fan while I was at it

IMG_3514.jpg

It's been nice not having to worry about cooling issues any more. Super easy.

Rotax owners fan club member
    '03 Dakar - 146,0000 miles
  17. Quench

Quench Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I did it! First time ever off pavement. We did the first 4 sections of the MABDR in reverse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankfully I went with a very experience adventure rider. Otherwise this could have been messy bordering on dangerous. Y'all make it look so easy. I was pretty much death gripping with hands and knees. I went down three times but walked away without anything more than some sore muscles and some humility (I hope). I need a LOT more practice/instruction.

The only issue with the bike is a broken tail light mount. Late in the ride I started to notice that the transition from on/off throttle was more jerky/abrupt than I remember. I noticed it mostly in 3rd gear. I washed the bike a couple of weeks ago using S100 and I wonder if it degreased/unlubricated the chain?

Attached Files:

18. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride.
    You should consider carrying less things though :D
    NahdarVebb likes this.
  19. Quench

Quench Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heh - we planned on camping, but those motels just look so inviting at the end of the day.
  20. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's still no excuse)
    Our bikes aren't that light and once you start doing the miles, especially offroad you learn the necessity to cut down weight.
    NahdarVebb likes this.