The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Did a quick search and the best I found so far was

motosportsxperts.com Rear: $132.50
    Front $84.95
    shipping to south Fla $25.60
    ---------
    $243.05
  2. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I think you're there. Forums like this will get you more useful info than most any manufacturers link.

I think you hit the key word when you said you need a tire that is "acceptable" for both.

TKCs for me. Great balance of street an dirt. They'll get you through a mud bog and let you lean till the pegs on the street, but there are far better tires for either one of those aspects alone. I'm glad that's an easy tire to fit to the 800. Search around here for tire threads an you'll see riders argue it to death , just keep in mind why a tire works for someones riding style an not anothers and that's the most useful info.
  3. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Better learn how to change them with levers -- or you'll be SOL out on the trail/road if you get a flat... :brow

(Check out Neduro's tire changing thread in Thumpers for a great tutorial)

I've used swmototires quite a bit. Pretty good prices, and quick service, as long as you know what you want.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Some folks have suggested the TKC80 on the front and something "less agressive" on the back as a good compromise better steering in the dirt and less noise and vibration on the road... I havn't tried it yet, but when the stock tires wear out I think I will....

Jim
  5. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Anyone else got good info?
  6. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I also read about someone using the TKC in the rear and an MT-21 on the front for a more dirt-biased compromise.
  7. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I quoted myself :D

Just got my 800 with TKCs on it and so far they fit the bill for what I described earlier. Rode some rather aggressive twisties and once they broke in they just railed, and I felt confident in the little bit of dirt I rode so far.
  8. Ruufman58

Ruufman58 n00b

Oddometer:
    For those of you on 800gs please no big gss how do your tires feel at higher road speeds?65 mph and up.My 800 is in the shop now trying to figure out why my handle bars wobble left and right above 65 mph.I love these tires in all other ways.:evil :clap
  9. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed any ill handling at (supra)highway speeds at all.
  10. slowrider_nh

slowrider_nh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been running 85+ mph and its been rock steady w/ stock tires (Battlewings). I did just recently put on TKC's and they're also very stable at highway speeds.
  11. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Also rock-steady at 90 mph on stock Battlewings.
  12. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    My dealer has had a few Steering bearings (including mine) that were "over greased" at the factory. When the grease warmed up the steering got loose.

...and now back to the tires.

Looking to see if Heidenau tires are in the US. They seem to be very popular over seas and down under. Also Mitas.
  13. monsterscout

monsterscout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered several sets of Metzler Tourances from AmericanMotoTire.com for my F-650GS (single). I haven't shopped around a ton, but they seem to have competitive prices and their shipping isn't that bad either if you don't mind waiting for ground. If the 140/80 - 17 will work, I'm going to try the Sahara's when my factory tires are done. I've been very impressed at how well my dad's Dakar does on the asphalt and they are waaaaaay better on the dirt.
  14. kkesp

kkesp UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] I saw these in a magazine yesterday so...

Maxxis introduces its new radial Adventure-Touring tire, the Presa Detour MA-PD. Available in V-Strom, BMW, and Triumph Tiger sizes, the Presa Detour offers excellent and responsive handling in both wet or dry, on and off-road conditions. The Detour’s stable central blocks and large grooves easily disperse water and grip the road in a straight line and while weaving through the back roads, offering comfort and ease throughout your ride. With its unique compound, the new Presa Detour will yield low tread wear to make your adventures seem endless!

Stable central blocks with large grooves for outstanding water dispersion
    Optimized tread pattern creates a larger contact patch for increased cornering confidence, and smooth transition
    Special formulated compounds yield low tread wear while offering outstanding traction
  15. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    The Presa Detours are made of butter. However, with only 80 hp on tap, they might last longer on a 800GS. If they had the same compound as Tourances, I think they could be great tires. I thought 2350 miles was sorta lame mileage for a rear. YMMV.
  16. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Don't look much different than the Battlewings.
    I think the stock Battlewings are fine on pavement,
    and these tires don't look like they'd be any better off pavement,
    so..... why would you replace the stockers with these?
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. mrleadfoot67

mrleadfoot67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 800 GS tires were not balanced from the factory.

Picked up my bike and levered a Karoo onto the front right away and headed for the dirt. I noticed no wheel weights and thought maybe the stock battlewings were incredibly well balanced. I static balanced the Karoo and found it only needed .25 oz. The next week when I changed the front back for a cross country road trip. I checked the balance and needed .75 oz to balance it, and decided to check the rear for good measure-1.25 oz out of balance.

If your bike has a speed wobble, it's likely the tires being out of balance, the suspension and frame on the bike are incredibly stable on the highway.

9000 miles on stock battlewings, I just put a 150/70 17 TKC on the back and the Karoo back on the front. The bike responded much better off road with two (street) knobbies than a front knobbie and the rear battlewing. More predictable sliding and easier to envoke wheelspin on demand. They handle quite well on road as well (passed a couple sportbikes on Ortega Hwy yesterday)

It is a compromise though, and the only way to avoid it is to have good street tires and good dirt tires. My plan is going to be 17's front and rear for street riding and 21/18 combo for dirt using a 130/90 18 Pirelli MT-21s. The taller rear will help clearance and quicken up the handling :) and I think the bike would absolutely rail with some Michelin Pilot Powers on the street.

In the mean time though I'm going to put Anakees on for the usual street duty and lever TKCs for the fun dirt stuff.
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Leadfoot:

Do you have a fixture for checking balance or do you just do it on the bike?

On my last bike (smaller and older) I would just spin the wheel several times marking the low point and it was always the same would add weight opposite until the settle point was "random" .... on back wheel I would disconnect chain first of course

Is there a need for a more sophisticated approach?

Thanks,
    Jim
  20. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    talkin about tkc front and battlewing rear-----is anyone concerned about the battlewing being a radial and the tkc not?? wouldn't this be a potential problem on the road?