The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep going back to the Scorpion Rally up front. Above 25 PSI it's twitchy and darts to and fro, but below that very stable and predictable on the street, good on hard pack or loose surfaces and lasts for many thousands of kms. Mud is mud when you're on a fat ass bike.
  2. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what's the best 21" front tire for the F800GS that is 100% road oriented?
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    tires are like oil. everyone has a different opinion. I like to run TR91 or Tourance next one mine for just road use
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    21 inch, road only, I'd run Pirelli Trail. I did really like them for ordinary asphalt, crappy back road asphalt, and good dirt roads. Great wet weather tyre I thought.
  5. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just looking and it appears that the mitas 07 is now only available in the TL style. Any one see any issues using a tubless style tire with a tube for the rear?
  6. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    No issues
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    nope.
  8. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool, I guess I will go for a set of mitas e-07 as my first tire set on my bike and go from there!!
    Shotgunchuck likes this.
  9. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently have 6500km's on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's. I've really been pushing them hard on tarmac, extremely late braking (ABS being used a lot :D), a lot of front brake, full throttle on the exit of corners etc... About 2000km of motorway and the rest on twisty backroads and mountain roads. They have been absolutely fantastic and never ever let me down or made me doubt, even in pouring rain, they performed flawlessly. That is until about 500km's ago when they just started feeling weird, just not as sure footed. In the rain last week I was able to break the rear tire coming out of a corner for the first time which resulted in a really f-cking uncomfortable fishtail at 80km/hr.... let's just say a new pair of underpants was ordered :rofl. Now both the front and rear feel a bit vague and I just get the feeling they slip/slide a bit in corners especially the rear and the front has a bit of wobble to it. Today I went for a 260km ride (160km of proper mountain twisties) and they felt fine when the road surface was perfect but add a bit of rough tarmac or grooves and they just felt crap again (unlike before when the road surface didn't matter and they rode like on rails), like they wanted to slide out.... I've checked both tires and firstly the front is worn more than the rear, I put this down to riding the bike much faster with these tires and coupled with my heavy front braking hand and generous use of the ABS function (never had a front wear faster....). The rear actually looks pretty new but maybe squaring off slightly????? I'm just wondering if this is why I'm not feeling the love for the rear anymore? As for the front I'm slightly clueless. :dirtdog

So will ride them a few more weeks until I have time to get new tires and spoon them on.

Sooooo what's the best all round tire that lasts 50k km's, is soft as a slick, handles mud, sand, rocks, snow and ice oh and costs less than $47 a set???
    oh and what oil you using??? :amazon
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  10. Loutre

Oddometer:
    do yourself a favor and get E10 up front with the E07 rear.
    The Maz likes this.
  11. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how will the e10 front e07 rear handle on the road vs the 07 all around?
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    worse, that is why I advised it :lol3
    Bayner likes this.
  13. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, hopefully my last question on the subject. If I were t oreconsider and say I pnaled on 65 to 70 % on road and 30 to 35% offroad, would you still say mitas e07 rear e10 front or would the karoo 3 be a better choice? (fully knowing the loose stuff offroad would suffer) In other words will the karoo 3 be much better on the pavement on twisties?
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, the Karoo 3 would be the choice. I have gotten 6000kms from a rear with a fair bit left in it. The fronts seem to last at least double that without signs of significant wear.

But on bigger bikes they get eaten real quick. I know a guy with a 1190 R Adv, and he killed the Karoo 3 rear in 3 tanks fuel.

Mind you, for him every day is track day, and traction control is for pussies. He likes to light it up from the apex onwards and back it in, much to the surprise of people who use those terms without actually being able to make the moves.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  16. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will listen to Snowy. I think for my first set of tires on the 800 the Karoo is the ticket, if I after find I needed more offroad then I will transition to the mitase07 / e10
  17. Sugnar

Sugnar n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking good :)

[​IMG]
    CSmasher and ForestFrog like this.
  18. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am running 07’s front and rear but have some dirt stuff coming up in a week or so so I may get a 10 for the front for that.
  19. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with an 18" rear? What tire did you use?
  20. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Avon Trailrider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk