The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Chief Orman

Chief Orman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soooo...how are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Mbjtlr

Mbjtlr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm putting them on today. As soon as the weather and work cooperates, I'm going to put them to the test.
    scarygary likes this.
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    always good to share in an old thread :thumb
    Mbjtlr likes this.
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kenda I ran was on for 2000kms of 50/50 fire trail/country dirt road riding with a pillion and changed because the pillion hated the way the back end moved around.

I felt they didn't get traction in a straight line accelerating/braking like say an E09 Mitas, and that they didn't deliver while cornering on fast dirt/crappy asphalt at average lean angles.

I still have it out near the shed...I'll get a pic and share for comparative purposes.
  5. Loutre

Oddometer:
    SNOOOOWYYY! :clap
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I didn't do any real straight line running on this, rode it all the usual places...so the excessive centre wear by the 2000km mark had me mystified. Wasn't overly impressed with the tyre at all.

I'm guessing that because it seemed excessively wide fit on the rim...it was a 150 width but seemed more like a 180...the way the tread wrapped around meant it spent most of it's time on the centre section.

Strike Kenda from the list.
  7. Mbjtlr

Mbjtlr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping these would be a cheaper alternative to the TKC80. I'll post up my results whenever the snow leaves and I get to try them out.
  8. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rented an F800 equipped with Kenda (I think they were "Big Blocks"). They were OK off road, but on pavement, it felt like the front tire was flat/low on air when cornering. I stopped and checked it several times until I just got used to it. I'll pass on them.

Jeff
  9. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Anlas CapraX yet?

[​IMG]

10. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Me! Had them on my '14 WeeStrom and '15 F800. Great tires. Good in the dirt and on the road. My go to tire from now on. Great price too. Made in Turkey (40 yrs.)

:1drink
  11. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    What tires were you on before?
    I really like the Mitas E07's I'm on, but want a better gravel front tire and didn't like how quickly I shredded an E09
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    have you tried the E10? Hated the E09, but the E10 actually lasts quite some more.
  13. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think it might have been a 10........will check
  14. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I bought my '14 GS a few months back with a pretty toasted front K60 Scout. Just picked up a replacement from RevZilla to find the pattern is slightly different.
    After doing a little digging it seems like there is a TL designated "Scout" (what came on the bike, circled in orange) and a TT designated "K60" (what I just got, circled in yellow). Has anyone run both and noted any performance differences?

IMG_0024.PNG
  15. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    I know the TL is the tubeless tire which can be run with a tube, and the TT is for use with tube only.
    Both can be used on the 800 with spoked rims as they require use of a tube.
    Unless you have converted the rim to a tubeless conversion.
    Not sure of the difference of lug pattern though.......
  16. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    FWIW I burned up a set of Conti TKC 70's this fall going through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and the Translab. 5,500 miles and they still had a thousand flat spot miles to go before being fully dead. The front tire was delightfully cupped and hooked.

My riding buddy had Avon Trail Riders on his S1000r - got 2800 miles out of the rear and the front tire was dreadfully sketch on wet tar snakes and yellow lines, We were forced to find a Bridgestone BT020 (2008 production date - seriously) on Newfoundland and were happy to find it.

Back to the 70's: the tires did everything I could have asked for and then some. They handled well, stuck well in both rain and dry, did well enough in the mud on the translab and most importantly held up to 5500 miles of nasty headwinds and rough roads. Yeah, they flat spotted by 3k and literally could stand up on their own when I changed them out but they did the deed with no flat tires and zero drama. Handling was decent even if the front was a tad vague on the knobs. Grip was remarkably decent in all conditions and I could still pull some traction even with 5000 miles in nasty mud on the TLH.

The TKC's are a legitimate real deal, far more so than I expected. They live up to the 70/30 designation and I'd happily buy them again for all around use purposes. (By comparison, my normal and preferred street tire are thePirelli Scorp 2's which are absolutely superb for street use in all weather conditions).

I would not buy the Avon Trailriders given than I saw my friend lose the front several times in the wetland how the rear tire wore.
    wncstrada and scarygary like this.
  17. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    I have a set of these since early last season. I've probably put somewhere between 3 to 4 k km on them by now. Had a set of K60 on before (got 21k km out of that front).
    The front hooks up so much better on gravel than that old K60. So far they have been great in all conditions wet and dry, paved and not. Wear is doing quite well and I should expect 7k or more out of them.
    I'd buy again, but will probably try the Tractionator next time if I can find some locally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  18. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Realistically, most of my riding is on pavement. However, i'd still like a tyre that would allow me to venture off road on occasion without falling short. I'm currently running pirelli scorpion trail 2's and although they're great for the road, they offer me very little when I decide to venture off road.

Any recommendations for such needs? I'm looking at the mitas e-07's, though i'm not sure if thats overkill for what they'd be used for.

Cheers guys
    RobbieO likes this.
  19. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Sjones423

I have only ran the e07 rear but I got 12,500 miles on it before I took it off, probably could have went to 15,000 before I hit the wear bars. After 10,000 miles it was getting pretty squirrelly on loose gravel and spun fairly easy on wet pavement. It also doesn't have the wet pavement grip of a street tire but is far from the worst tire I have ran in the rain. It also got noisy after somewhere around 8-10,000 miles. It is the only rear tire I run. I run a nobbier front tire so can't comment on it.
  20. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, how do you find they handle on long road journeys?