The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Look at the Motoz GPS

If you like the E07 you will love the GPS

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motoz-tractionator-gps-losing-my-virginity.1195338/

I swap between GPS's and TKC80's, I used to also use EO7's a bit but wont use them now I have had GPS's for a while.

2. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ahh yes would help if I named the tire manufacturer wouldn't it. It is a MOTOZ TRACTIONATOR ADVENTURE 150-70 17.

I ride 50/50 in some pretty remote places in Newfoundland so it's always a trade off between traction and tread life. I've tried a few different tread patterns/combos now and the best solution I've found for where/how I ride is knobbies. The TKC 80 up front is ideal for me. My hope is that the MOTOZ tire lasts longer than the TKC80 on the rear.
    dpike likes this.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once BygDaddee mentioned MotoZ, I searched it and matched the photo withe Tractionator Adventure treads. Looks nice. I just need a definite on what to expect for tread life. Riding in Virginia, I am mostly on paved. Although, I normally ride on 50/50 for that occasional gravel road. Sounds like keep the TKC 80 up front is way to go. Still debating rear. I am mulling over MotoZ Tractionator Adventure, Mitas E07, Heidenau K60 On my F650GS Twin, I can get 12K miles easy on Mitas E07 rear.
    Rizzly likes this.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i agree GF-kam, so far all the early reviews are the MotoZ tires have been great, they're showing great life and very little complaints. i currently have an E-07 on deck for my next rear and almost wished i didn't since the GPS looks like a hands down winner now.
    Rizzly likes this.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Just remember there's 3 different Motoz
    GPS which is a bit like the Scout in tread pattern and Scout/E07 competitor.
    Tractionator Adventure, sort of a TKC80 competitor.
    And there is another more offroad one, just can't remember name.
    asuperstar likes this.
  6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I just bought a set for my Africa Twin (I know this is a Beemer thread :-)). They look like a good balance of road and offroad/gravel and similar in tread to Metzeler Karoo.
    Worth a try.

7. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    @superfunkomatic I was thinking of picking up a set of the Trek Riders, were you able to get any miles on the new tires? Any feedback? Cheers
  8. Polarx

Polarx n00b

Oddometer:

Are you using the I/T or S/T or H/T?
  9. Spektrum84

Spektrum84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I done gone screwed up trying to mount a new front. Still salvageable?
    [​IMG]
    As a side note, I will not be buying dakar versions of tires again. I thought the K60 rear tires had a stiff carcass. At least I could change K60's with hand tools.
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    E07 ?
    how'd the rear go ?
  11. Spektrum84

Spektrum84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E10's and I'll let you know about the rear after I can get the front back on. At least I did myself the favor or not getting the rear in the dakar version.
  12. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got worn K60 on the rear with a good bit of life in her.
    IMG_0044.JPG
    I was originally planning to ride from Philly to LA, swap to a fresh rear for some fun down in Baja, then shipping home when I need to get back to being a grown up.
    My recent off now has me concerned about this guy getting me across safely.
    If I was gonna pick up a new rear tire, ride 3000+ on-road and still have it worthwhile for a few days down Baja, what would you guys recommend?
  13. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not take a new tire with you and swap it out wherever the K60 wears out or LA, whichever happens first.
  14. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoz Tractionator Adventure just installed, F/R.

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

These are some big, hairy tires. Lots of rubber on them, very tall knobs. Front tire is fatter/wider than most 90/90/21s and has a nice round profile. The width and shape may prove to be beneficial in pavement canyon carving but may detract from off road performance. The unsprung/rotational weight may be an issue too. Or maybe not.

Only about 75 freeway miles on them so far. Not as squirmy as I'd feared, about the same as a fresh set of TKC 80s. Hitting the trails this weekend (loose, rocky hard pack), will post a full review.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pics, posted from phone...
  15. athomasvt

athomasvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to keep us up to date in mileage and performance. I talked to a shop in Denver yesterday and they said people are getting 10k miles out of those tires. Anxious to hear it from someone who is riding them.
  16. motocentric

motocentric Dame that Don't Care

Oddometer:
    Hey! Let me know after you ride them in the wet, please? I want to grab them so bad but have to vet them for that, first...

17. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't be getting 10K out of mine but I'll be happy if I get over 4 out of my rear. I usually kill rear tires (Anakee Wild, Pirelli Scorpion Rally, TKC 80) within 2500-3,000 miles. I'll be enjoying the ride in the meantime though, as these suckers GRIP. I put a couple hundred miles on them over the weekend on freeway, twisties, dust-covered hardpack, gravel and loose, rocky trails. Even without airing down, the traction was phenomenal. Still playing with pressures but going down to 30/31 PSI F/R (I don't like hitting rocks at speed with anything lower than that) made them even better. Great on-road too, now that they're scrubbed in.

I'll post more feedback as I rack up the miles, but very impressed so far.

Motoz_500mi_F.jpg Motoz_500mi_R.jpg
  18. athomasvt

athomasvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Greatly appreciate the update.
  19. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How stiff are the E10 (aka how much of a pita are they to mount)? Just wanted to know if mounting them myself is worth the hassle or if I should bring them to a buddy with a proper tyre changer living around the corner. :wave
  20. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm reusing this "old" thread since I don't want to start a new one about tires!! ;)

Is it just me or the front Mitas E-07 tire is..... well.... feels a bit sketchy?? I had an Heidenau K60 at the front for the last 20000 km and I liked it... but at the end the front wasn't giving me much confidence, it was at the end of its life (and it had some cupping).

So ok, I installed a new E-07 and yeah, it doesn't feel any better. I feel like the front is going to wash out at every corner on loose gravel. I have a hard time trusting my bike right now. Maybe it's me and I just lost confidence....... or maybe these tires aren't as good as I expected.

Any feedback from people who used them? Am I crazy or this is something common with these tires?