The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't really like the front tire either.
  2. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I installed Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires on my 800GS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty happy with the tires in the dirt. Very consistent feeling when pushed on both hard pack and looser soil. Grass the front grips exceptionally well, however the rear doesn't. Then again, what will really grip enough on grass to lift the front of this machine? When pushed the tires took the abuse and gave me confidence to ride faster than I should with a 450# pig in the dirt.

On the street, I'd be totally OK with them if the front didn't feel so wonky over 70mph. Below that speed and the thing tracks just fine. Anything over that and the bars weave back n forth quite aggressively. Running 32 front 36 rear. Rear spins up pretty easy on pavement especially in the cold or leaned over. If I get 2000-2500 miles out of them, that'll be good enough for me.

Andrew
    Bounty1 likes this.
  3. BikeRiderOH

BikeRiderOH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just self-installed the Dakar's front and rear coming from Shinko's and compared to them I can say I like the Mitas better. That feeling in gravel you are getting, I think I've felt that way on any tire I've tried which isn't many but in my opinion riding in gravel will always be that way. I'm learning to use the power slide to help get through gravel corners rather than relying on the front wheel tread.

4. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I felt more confident with the K60. With the E-07 I get that feeling that the front is unpredictable. Although I must admit that I crashed a little bit over a month ago, with the K60 still on.... The front didn't wash out but I was afraid it would (I was in a turn in very loose gravel) and I let the bike "drift" too far to the side of the road where the rear got into a little ditch and I went into a low-side followed by a high-side. Fortunately it was at low speed and I wasn't injured. But I was alone that day, and the crash ended my ride. I didn't feel confident enough to keep going. I barely went off-road since. I thought the problem were the tires. Maybe the problem is me... :(
  5. athomasvt

athomasvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a final mileage count on the tractionators ADV on an F800?
  6. kukabati

kukabati n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody.
    Soon i'll gonna have first off road trip to the mountains on my f800gs. Riding it second season mostly on the roads and some trips off road for a weekend. Allways was using Anakee III.
    The trip gonna last something like 500 miles. 5 days, maybe 7. The question is, what tires to use? It's gonna be mud, more mud, some snow, grass and tarmac.
    My idea is Mitas 09 or maybe 09 dakar (what is the difference?).
    Open to your ideas. Thanks.
  7. kukabati

kukabati n00b

Oddometer:
    Half of the trip gonna be like this: 23825933_1662458240471102_346778421889904210_o.jpg
  8. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    The Dakar versions have an extra ply in the sidewalls making the sidewall stiffer allowing lower pressures to be run with less chance of rim damage.
    kukabati likes this.
  9. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's only 500 miles my choice would be a Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front and a Kenda K760 rear. It will be only a 130 on the rear and you'll have to take it easy on the pavement, but man does it make great traction in the sloppy stuff. Put the Anakee back on when you're done with the trip.
  10. inlawbiker

inlawbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reviving this thread. My '16 f800gs has the stock Pirelli Scorpion trail 2's. In the wet PNW offroad these tires are not very good. I have to say they're great for street use with some casual summer off-roading.

I want to open my options to more off-road, especially in damp weather. But I still ride in wet and dry highway & street conditions. I know I'm asking a lot but I'm looking for best case and I'll deal with the compromises.

I've read through the whole thread, trying to choose between some options.

Mitas E-07, seems like a good 50/50 tire. I'm worried about wet pavement at speed, but look great for trails. Think rocky, gravelly, sometimes wet forest service access roads. Almost never sand. (If it's a sloppy downpour I'll stay home.) I also go on jeep trails near Chelan, Winthrop, Okanogan area in the summer months.

I see a lot of people running E-07 on the rear and something more aggressive on the front. That's fine so long as freeway speed is stable.

Conti TKC-70 seems like a 70% street, 30% dirt tire. Less capable offroad with better confidence on road. They lack real knobbies. TKC-80 seems like too much to give up for the street for me.

What would be OK on say, Desert 100 poker runs and riding the freeway to get there? I have done the race several times on a proper dirt bike. I think the f800 would do fine on the poker run with correct tires.

I have a lot of tread on the Trail 2's I can keep them around and put them back on for commuting purposes I suppose.

Thanks,
    Greg.
  11. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    TKC-80 handle better on road then E07 do, wet or dry, but rear wont last as long.

You need to forget about trying to find a tyre that's going to give you everything you want everywhere, there is no such thing, you have to select where you want it to be best, and be prepared to compromise elsewhere.

TKC 80 are the best true 50/50 tyre you can buy.
    EO7 is a 70/30, 60/40 at best tyre, not real good at wet anything, not bad in dry, but there are much better road handling options out there.

After using Motoz GPS I will never go back to E07.
  12. inlawbiker

inlawbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I get that tires are always a compromise. I'm willing to give up some road to get some offroad. Right now, I think there's not much point in owning a dual-sport bike with 90% street-biased tires.
  13. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm rolling with Shinko 705's I love the price and they seem to work really well on the street, bit of a rumble but they stick really well and they are pretty usable on dirt but not a knobby.
  14. PantherX12

PantherX12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for f650 twin guys?

UK only tyres.

After ones that will grip into very slimy clay based mud.

Currently looking at mitas c02 for the rear and well anything similar fit the front
    Rims are 110 19 and 140 17.

Most of my riding is on the road but most of my fun is off road.

Cheers.
  15. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    Ok so .... I'm looking for tires for my 2013 F700gs - I am probably riding 95/05 right now but am looking to increase my offroad and adventure riding exponentially ! I've done a thorough amount of research as I am looking to get an amazing STREET TIRE but a very good Off road dirt , mud tire as well but it seems you cant have your cake and eat it too as I'm finding if you get a decent street off road tire the tire wont do well on wet pavement which is disappointing ! However, I've recently found a brand of tire thanks to an inmate and a BLOG called " MOTOZ Tractionator GPS" I've heard amazing things about this AUSSIE made tire in both wet areas , on pavement, and off road as well! Now I'm just trying to figure out what size i'll need for my F700gs! Any help will be much appreciated!
  16. Knoxie

Knoxie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my GPS's. They are excellent all around tires, i've done twisties and offroading on them and felt in control the whole time.

Just match the size to your current tires.
    Kylerbry likes this.
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pacific Powersports is the U.S.A distributor:
    http://pacificpowersports.com/

You can get in touch with them regarding sizing.
    Kylerbry likes this.
  18. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    YOUR THE MAN!!
  19. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, after about 2500-3000 miles on my tkc80, and the e07 Dakar, this is what they look like.

Noticing some odd wear on the tkc80.

Both handle well in the gravel roads with me pushing them a little harder than the shinko 705s I had, but I can differently tell the difference on the handling on road with knobbies.

20180719_140714.jpg 20180719_140714.jpg 20180719_140714.jpg 20180719_125112.jpg 20180719_140714.jpg 20180719_125112.jpg 15320284693997248452400476709077.jpg
  20. Alohadmac

Alohadmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The shinko 804/805 is hard to beat and almost 1/2 the price of the other popular options. I ride a solid 50/50 on/off road and have yet to find a weakness.
    804ft.jpg
    Mauser556 likes this.