The 800GS tire thread (oh, no you di-'nt!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackMule, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Zagi4

Zagi4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im think about converting to 21"/18" wheel set up. I can get local a 3.0x18 excel rim with new wheel hub.
    But im not sure aobut the right tire size. I drive 50/50 and was thinking about 130/80 or 140/80 what do you suggest? :)
    As tires i want to use the TKC 80.
  2. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My KTM 1090 Adventure R uses 150/70-18 rear and it's not much heavier or powerful than the F800GS. My KTM 690er uses the 140/80-18 which is lighter and less powerful than your GS. So, if it were me I would go with the 140/80.
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    sealed the front and rear wheels for tubeless, used outex on the front, used 3M 5200 on the nipples and outex tape on the rear. pulled of the tkc 80 front and e07 rear and installed michelin anakee adventures front and rear. looking forward to see how these hold up. sidewalls on the rear were pretty soft, i expected them to be a bit stiffer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

I assume you had to get a special valve stem. If I am not mistaken the hole for the valve stem on the stock F800GS is smaller than a tubeless alloy wheel.

I am curious how it hold air. Keep us posted. Would be great if you posted any additional photos of install.

Thanks.
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    The outex kit has valve stems, Napa 90-426 are identical. I wasn't crazy about the nipple tape that was included in the outex kit, I prefer the idea of a redundant seal with the sealant on the nipples and the tape capping it all. There's really no downside since you can always just put a tube back in it if for some reason you have seal failures and no at hand method to fix them. I also use a cyclops tpms so I can keep an eye on the pressure and temperature.

Ask Jim how many flats he had on his South America trip and see how fast you dump that rear tube.
    GF-kam likes this.