The 990 and wheel sizes

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Window_licker, Apr 30, 2006.

1. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    :huh
  2. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I don't agree.
    My guess (but its only a guess, of course) is that the ABS don't care about the wheel diameter but the hubb diameter where the sensor is, and you are not changing that. So far we agree.

But if you put a 19 wheel in front, it will spin fast that the 21 one all the time; yeah, more revolutions than before comparing with the rear one.
    So the ABS will think that your front wheel is "locked" all the time; don't know if that will mean that the ABS is working all the time, or will be disabled.

Still don't get my new Orange, but reading the manual I saw that the ECU knows that the front wheel is a 21" (this data is in the display when turn on the bike) It will be for speedometer or ABS purposes ??
    If this input affects the ABS you've got the answer to make the ABS work with 19" wheels: you need to mess with the ECU ...
  3. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Just an update on this thread:

I eventually decided to try the wheel swap to 19/17 combo. Sent my rims to Central wheel components in the Uk , put a set of conti road attacks on , reset the display to the 19" front and hey presto...

Works like a charm. Much more grip and feedback , neutral steering and the ABS still works fine :)
  4. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my KTM 17" supermotard wire wheels back from Woodys Wheel Works in Colorado. They replaced the hubs with 990 Adventure hubs and re-laced them with stainless steel spokes. I plan on putting them on my bike for road and track use and put the stock ones on for off road use. I plan on leaving the ABS off just in case there is a problem, although I agree the wheel size shouldn't matter. The only problem I'm having is tyre size for the rear. The front rim is 3.5 inches and fitting a 990 super duke 120/70 ZR17 is no problem. The rear rim is 5.0 inches wide and according to the charts a 170/60 ZR17 is the maximum recommended size. I wanted to go with the 180 but it requires a 5.5 inch rim. I'm going to go with Conti Road Attacks in the recommended sizes and I'll let you know how it works out. It will be about another week until I get them on.:clap :clap
  5. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put the 17's on, front and back. Bike rides and handles like a sport bike. The front end is more responsive and turn in is quicker. I tried with and without the ABS and I don't see any problem. It skids without and pulses with it on just like it did with the 21 and 18. The only issue I have is the kick stand is to long. I need to cut it, bend it or see if a 990 Duke stand will work. The bike stands dangerously upright. I fit a 170 on the rear 5 inch rim. I don't see a 180 and a 5.5 inch rim fitting on the bike without removing the chain guard. My tire is about an 1/8 inch from touching it. All in all I'm happy with the results. I may have to play with the sprocket size. I have a 17/45 and the 990 Duke has a 17/38. I also changed the speedo to read 17 inch but I need to check speedo accuracy with my GPS. Thanks to Woodys Wheel Works for an excellent job on my wheels. Fit and finish are perfect.:clap :clap
  6. Vito

Vito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi my friend, how do you reset wheel size in your speedo ?
  7. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the slow response vito .

From a post by pip:

1. Key ON
    2. Wait for initial check
    3. Press MODE until you get to the F display
    4. Press MODE & SET button for 10 seconds
    (Current programmed wheel size will display)
    5. Press MODE to change to 17, 19, 21
    6. Select # (17, 19, 21)
    7. Press SET button
    8. Turn key OFF then back on after a few soconds. Your selected # will display.
  8. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 990 and my Woody's Wheels 19"-17" work great. The ABS works fine with this set up but I will have to pick up some new rotors as it is a pain switching the rotors with the wheels. I now have a set of set of perfect condition front and rear rotors for a 950 for sale.
    I tested the ABS with Dunlop 607's and the grip was so good that a unexpected stoppy was produced before the ABS cut in, this happpened at about 25 mph and was most unexpected as I truly thought the tire should have locked activating the ABS first. Subsequent test about 40 mph managed to activate the ABS. It's kind of nice to know where that traction limit is, a guess you might say that is one advantage to the ABS, it lets you know where the limit is.
  9. lc8john

lc8john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you guys using any steering damper with your combo's?
    17/17 or 19/19... I'm thinking for a while in get another set specially the 'tard set.. already contacted Woody's Wheel Works asking for a quoation! If I need a damper It's out of budget...
  10. sproot

sproot Sturdy Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I don't think a damper is necessary with the 19/17 combo (time will tell :evil), but KTM have advised against running 17/17 on the Adv.

There was a scan of a TB on the issue somwhere, my l33t :rolleyes searching skills are currently failing to find it :dunno
  11. lc8john

lc8john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe because people will perfer the AdvTard over the SM :evil
    More range, ABS, wind (ahem) protection, etc etc etc :D
  12. Kolossos

Kolossos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...so you guys gave me a new idea for this already faboulous bike...Now where can i find 19/17 wheels? :earand what else do i need? also is there a brake issue here? are the standard brakes do the trick?:freaky
  13. hitmike

hitmike sucio debutante

Oddometer:
    "...so you guys gave me a new idea for this already faboulous bike...Now where can i find 19/17 wheels? and what else do i need? also is there a brake issue here? are the standard brakes do the trick?"

Woody's Wheel works. www.woodyswheelworks.com/ I am planning on a set for my 950 asap.
  14. lc8john

lc8john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This maybe a dumb and repetitive question, but which rims size are you guys using in your combos 19/17 and 17/17?
    Cheers,
    JP
  15. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3.5 inch front and a 5 inch rear on the 17's Marchesini's
  16. B33P33

B33P33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any pictures of these wheels installed ?
    I picked up a complete set of Marchesini 17s with sprocket carrier, discs and axles, do I need to use the CJ design adapters to fit them to my 990 Adv ?