The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    I grew up just outside of Syracuse, but spent all my summers playing in the Adirondacks. Scout camp just off of Long Lake, a camp belonging to friends on Indian Lake (not the big one, the little tiny one near Owl's Head up near Malone), hiking the High Peaks, canoeing the Raquette river and the Saranac chain, and all over the place.

Neil Peart has talked about everyone having a particular "landscape of the soul," and even after all these years, the Adirondacks are mine. Thanks for taking me back there.
  2. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can get a picture of Sweat & Matt you may get $100,000.
  3. elkgrichard

elkgrichard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What camera are you using?

I'm interested in photography and love what I see here.

Also what enhancement application do you use to add a touch of color to those shots?

Not asking for any secrets or nothing, just love what I see and would like to learn.

I love taking pictures myself but nothing like what you have an eye for. WOW!!
  4. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    The thought has crossed my mind

You must have had some great summers growing up, I can tell by your user name you still love the area you grew up in :thumb

Nikon d7000 and canon 995 for a pocket camera

I always bracket my shots from plus 2 to minus 2. Many times the "under exposed" shots are my pick.

Also set my cameras to their vivid color setting, graduated neutral density and circular polarizer get a lot of use

Plus with all the beauty in The Adirondacks it's actually hard to not get a good shot

Ive seen thousands of gorgeous photos from the Adirondacks from many really talented photographers, but trust me when I say no photo ever is as good as seeing them in person
  5. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey Jax, Thanks

Hi Bob, and if you don't mind I'll be using your line
  6. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    I was a pretty lucky kid, yeah.

Also, you're probably the very first person, ever, to get that reference. I grew up in Madison County, right in Leatherstocking country, and I also loved Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans" and the rest of the Leatherstocking Tales, hence the name.
  7. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    So after Dave had his tea we finally headed out, the route took us up Route 9 to North Hudson where we jumped on Blue ridge road then through Newcomb, Long Lake, Blue Mountain Lake and Indian Lake

Now, i like to stop often to take pictures of stuff that catch my attention so riding with Dave works out pretty good as he stops frequently to pee, eat, and “power nap”

The first time I witnessed his power nap phenomena was in Lake Placid about 4 years ago, we had lunch at The Cottage then drove about a half mile to a parking lot on Mirror Lake where I wanted to stop for a few pictures, 10 minutes later i came back to the bikes and he’s sprawled out in front of his, scared the shit out of me at first until I got closer and it looked like he was breathing so I poked him with a stick to make sure and he woke up.

We stopped for lunch at the Long Lake Diner around 1:30

[​IMG]

It was a perfect Day weather wise so we sat on the deck

[​IMG]

And ate these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wandered around the parking waiting for Dave to finish a phone call and found this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just after that a bird swooped down and grabbed it for a late afternoon snack

Then it was through Blue Mountain lake, Indian Lake and back to chestertown where we grabbed the slab for the last miles home

Stopping at the Stewarts in Chestertown for a bottle of water I came back out and Dave is power napping on a picnic table, I assured the family staring at him he was probably alive and not to worry

So I took a walk down this gravel road in the back and found this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more stop on the way home to watch some crazy clouds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave is planning on leaving on his trip tomorrow and he may have talked me into riding the first day to Maine with him
  8. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    I went to Ithaca College and many times rather than take the Thruway I took Route 20 from Albany, what a beautiful area
  9. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    In that case, you literally drove by the house I grew up in. I lived on Rt. 20, and if you went from Albany all the way to 81 to go down to Ithaca, you passed my childhood house.
  10. jorrie

jorrie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marvellous pictures I love it keep it coming:norton
  11. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey Jorrie, Thanks so much, I'll do my best
  12. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Saturday was a perfect day weather wise and even though I wasn't able to leave early, it was too good of a day to miss so I ended up in The Keene Valley

This is on Route 73, when there's enough rainfall it looks like this, during dry periods I've passed by and you'd never guess it's a mini waterfall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's also a little park with a few picnic tables a few miles back that's a nice stop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've passed this place often on the corner of Rote 73 and Grist Mill Lane.

[​IMG]

The bridge is being replaced over the river here and when I stopped for the light
    the check oil light came on so I figured today was the day to to try it

It's kind of a small country store and has grab and go meals, sandwiches and baked goods

So I pulled in, added some oil

[​IMG]

and went in to check out the offerings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ended up with a ham,salami, green apple and organic greens sandwich, a bag of chips and a bottle of coke and sat out front to eat

[​IMG]

A touch under 10 bucks for the combo, well worth stopping for
  13. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :D Make me miss home
  14. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Hello Joe, a few weekends back I meandered through Speculator, Indian Lake, Blue Mt Lake, Long Lake, Tupper, Lake Placid and Saranac. Passed through Keene and now want to travel back for a trip to the Cedar Run Bakery and Market as the interior looks oh so inviting. Oh yes, I love to eat so I'll be in heaven!

Phenomenal photographs as always. Your thread will motivate me to plan out my weekend so thanks for the prodding.

Ride safe...
  15. PinkMoose

PinkMoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would also like to add that your pictures are gorgeous. I have been quietly following your thread for some time after my husband found it and showed me your incredible pictures. We are both from western NY (I'm from Brockport and he's from Liverpool) and miss home as we live in NC now. Your photos take us there! Thanks!

However, after reading this post I was pleasantly surprised because I am also a "Bomber". I graduated in 1988....guess I've now revealed my age;) I love Ithaca. My brother lives in Lake George so we visit there often too. In fact, we are riding up to those areas for a few weeks around the 4th. If you see 2 black Triumph Tigers riding around, give us a shout....we will buy you lunch!
  16. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    Psst.... Liverpool is in Central NY! ;)
  17. PinkMoose

PinkMoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough....you got me! Guess I owe you a pop (as opposed to a soda).
  18. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    Know how I can tell you're from western NY?

:p

I have a good friend who grew up just south of Buffalo, and we decided that the pop / soda line is somewhere in between there, probably a little west of Rochester. :)
  19. BlueM00se

BlueM00se 'Cuse LAX Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't believe she said I was from Western NY. She's always points out to me that I don't belong in that exclusive club!

Actually I don't know that I can even claim CNY. While I lived in Liverpool, I spent most of my time either on my grandparents farm in Davenport (I knew the Leatherstocking reference right away!!) or in the high peaks of the Adirondacks.

Prometheus, I apologize for the high-jack of your thread. Your photographs are so incredible that they bring back memories I thought were long forgotten! :clap
  20. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Come back for a visit.

Hey Beth, that's a sweet route you picked out, cedar run is a definite stop when in Keene, I'm a sucker for those country store / bakery / cafes

Hey Thanks so much, have a great time on your trip, who knows we may cross paths