The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    No Apologies necessary, here's wishing you and your wife a great trip up here in July
  2. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    I just recently found East Shore Drive along Schroon Lake, it runs for app. 5 miles until it becomes a private road for residents only

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    This is a great stretch of Route 9N N from Keene to Amusable , app. 28 miles

It parallels the Ausable River and there are a lot of places where it runs right along the route, plenty of places to stop and wet yourself down on a hot day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The covered Bridge in Jay is just off 9, you can walk through but no driving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can walk down and a bit upstream find the swimming holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, Ausable Chasms. If you have time pay the admission and go in for the tour.

I did take the tour years ago, however it was on a road trip to Montreal for a bachelor party which included a lot of alcohol and possibly some recreational drugs but from what i remember it was spectacular

If you don't have the time there's pedestrian walkways on both sides of the bridge and catch these views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Saturday was a washout, rain and gray sky pretty much all day, but Sunday showed promise.

And though it was extremely pleasant, the clouds and bright haze were not conducive to scenic photos which included the sky

[​IMG]

So I amused myself by taking some shots minus the sky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I took the above 2 shots for some reason I crossed the road as I was walking back to the bike and halfway there that familiar smell of something dead
    wafted up my nose.

So I jumped the guardrail and poked around to find this

[​IMG]

Which was a fairly large snapping turtle ( i'd estimate the length of the shell at about 18" ) neatly split in half , imagine putting your hands one above the head and one below it and ripping it perfectly in half

Below hidden under the eggs is the breast plate and a few bleached bones, the blue glow on the eggs was eerie. The 2 objects that look like rolled shingles on the top right are pieces of the shell that were flayed off as neatly as if a surgeons knife did it

[​IMG]

Below is the shell, the head and tail were missing and I assume eaten by whatever did this, the white area on the right is where the shell was peeled back and deposited next to the eggs

[​IMG]

Although the bones that were scattered looked bleached clean, the majority of the eggs were still intact as was the smell leading me to believe it was recently killed, what could have the strength do do it besides a bear escapes me, but do bears eat turtles?

Apparently not as I did a google search and it appears the only predators of adult snapping turtles are humans. so.....................

I left feeling just a bit creeped out
  5. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Many snapping turtle stories but this one is the most interesting. We were walking along a creek and came upon numerous areas with cluthes of cracked eggs. One of us picked up a somewhat intact egg and there was a baby snapping turtle the size of a quarter that appeared to be dead. The time of year was fall. We proceeded to walk down the creek bed with the little snapper in one of our pockets ( for warmth) and when we stopped to look at it in my hand it's one eyelid began to open. For such a tiny little creature he looked prehistoric. We ended up placing him in the creek just below our home. I'm sure he now resides in our pond. Can't bring myself to remove him so when we swim we hope he remains a good distance from us.
  6. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    You're a hellava lot braver than I am, I have a pond too ... but you couldn't get me to swim in it for love or money as I've seen the assortment of snakes,snappers etc. that call it home
  7. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    Very cool
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    All the beauty of Lake George with none of the crowds. Wish I'd have understood that when I was a kid.
  9. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i just keep coming back to this thread. Keep'm coming, prometheus.
  10. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey UpST8, how's the riding in the west
  11. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    You got that right, this really is a gorgeous ares
  12. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, i'll do my best
  13. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    It's been hot and humid for the last 5 days or so and when I checked the weather for Sunday it was for continued humidity,highs in the 90s and thunderstorms in the afternoon, not the ideal riding day per se, but I hadn't even touched the bike in two weeks and it's already the middle of freaking July so I planned on leaving early and getting back hopefully in time to beat the storms

It wasn't too bad temperature wise when I left but the humidity was in the air

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I jumped on the slab and just rode until I decided where to head and ended up taking exit 34 where I cut through Ausable Forks and over to Route 3 towards Saranac

I stooped just outside of town to re hydrate over the river

[​IMG]

Dumped some water in my helmet and down my jacket and I'm good to go.

Next stop was a rest area on 3 to water up again and wander around a bit.

Obviously there were some previous visitors who liked guns and didn't like being told what to do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And apparently they love the lottery

[​IMG]

I can't ever recall stopping at any rest area anywhere without some kind of trash but it seems that the further North you go the worse it gets. This was just a small sampling of what was there but why take more pictures of shit like this, sometimes I fear for humanity

It was family day however and these guys lifted my mood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that It was too hot to fool around so I rode straight through to home

These are a few from last year between Bloomingdales and Saranac Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. UpST8

Oddometer:
    :dunno
    Been away at work, haven't ridden in 5 months :eek2, but it will be good when I get back at it
  15. adventurelounger

adventurelounger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Prometheus Rising...
    Such a superb and inspiring thread. I've lurked and observed and admired...not just your photography, but your sensibility. Using bike+lens as a "wonders of life vacuum" is really what it's all about. And you do that well.
    I keep trying to explain my two wheel habit/fixation to my wife...even sharing my ride reports with her. She just doesn't seem to quite get it. Maybe I have I up my photo chops!
    I ride mostly on the other side of Lake Champlain, throughout beautiful New England. Although after a family trip to Lake Placid the other winter, the sheer vastness of the Adirondacks finally clicked with me. Vermont is a potato chip by comparison (a lovely green chip, but a chip!). Thanks for creating such a lovely window on it.
    If you're ever bored or curious, check out my riding blog, "Longitude&Gratitude" here: http://longitudeandgratitude.com/
    It's mostly my ride reports from in and around CT, MA and VT...but I just got back from a 4 day, 1,200 mile Utah backroad trip that was interstellar. That one is here: http://bit.ly/1eeWj4g
    Will keep following your exploits and images!
  16. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I too have just found this thread in doing some research for a lil ride in the area with my son next month. While I have been to the Adirondacks at least a dozen times in the last 15 years or so I'm always looking for new roads in the area. Its a great spot as it's only a day ride from Toronto. Thanks in advance for the info in this thread. :thumb

DW
  17. Hannda

Oddometer:
    You been over by Great Sacandaga Lake? I've never been but I hear it's attractive and, like Schroon, not so crowded. I've got friends with a camp on Paradox Lake . . . another gem I'd never heard of when I lived in Glens Falls. Sacandaga should be a short ride west for you. +/-35 miles per Google from where I get the impression you live.
  18. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks, I love that analogy - bike + lens as a wonder of life vacuum

I checked out your blog, very cool and Space Oddity was a bonus

Yes I've spent a good bit of time riding around Sacandaga, North Shore Road from Luzerne is a great ride, although the speed limit is 35 it's a road that can bite you even at that speed if you aren't on top of your game, narrow, with an abundance of curves many of which can lull you into a false sense of security. The scenery is gorgeous but you do need to focus all your attention on the road

These 2 shots are from a pull off before the road starts to parallel the shore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been by Paradox Lake plenty of times, never took the time to explore it
    Been away at work, haven't ridden in 5 months :eek2, but it will be good when I get back at it[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I feel your pain
  19. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Beautiful. All that time, with a bike, and I've never been there. :baldy
  20. UpST8

Oddometer:
    Sasquatch?