The adventures of Augie and Opa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Apr 4, 2016.

1. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    On the 18th of April 2016 my close friend and ridding pal Opa and and I will be leaving on our second multi week adventure in as many years. Last May we spent nearly a month riding down south along the gulf coast and south Texas following the Rio Grande up thru New Mexico before turning west to the Pacific coast where we spent several days before returning back to the Carolinas on a more northern route. This year we plan to be a bit more ambitious with our westward adventure taking several weeks to reach the west coast. There we will again spend several days before we plan to head north and east toward the rockies for several weeks before returning back home. This is going to be a seat of the pants, no set time to be anywhere ride till we get bored or run out of cash. We are lookin forward to meeting some other ADV inmates sharing stories and adventures of our trip along the way. We are both retired in our late 60s with many years of ridding experience. We have spent many weekends together wandering all over the backroads of the Apalachins and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Opa rides a GS 1200 and I am on a Yamaha Super Tenere. We are plannig to do a daily post with short comments and pictures as we go. Opa is an avid photographer and I am sure will be posting some spectacular pictures as we go. We will be posting a little more about our western route and trip preparation over the next several weeks. Hope you will follow along.
    RUSTINPEACE likes this.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intro. Following along :thumb
  3. Maximus64

Maximus64 Betamus Chingamus Supporter

Oddometer:
    In
  4. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pictures from some of our recent adventures. We will be ridding the same bikes as last year. My 2014 Super Tenere. It now has 50,800 miles on it. 20140820_190108.jpg This is Opa's 2015 BMW GS 1200. He has 21,000 on it. 20150222_184907.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    20150318_103845.jpg Here's a photo I took of both bikes in SW Texas during last years ride. Another picture from last year taken on river rd near the Rio Grande. 20150318_134805.jpg

Attached Files:

6. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Over the last several months Opa and I have had several in depth discussions on wheather we should carry camping gear or not on our upcoming trip. This was brought on largely be the fact that last year on a simmilar trip, after carrying said gear for a over a week, before sending it home by mail we came to the conclusion that traveling together and sharing the motel was much easier and a lot less stressful. At our age after ridding hunderds of miles day after day the hassle of camping, living in a tent, packing up wet gear in the mornings, and sleeping on the ground, camping don't appeal as much as it did when we were younger. SO we have decided this will be an all motel trip with an ocasional nite with friend and hopefully a few nites with other inmates and riders we meet along the way. If any of you out there would like to entertain a couple of old hard core bikers for a nite in exchange for some conversation and tales of life on the road on a motorcycle feel free to drop us a line and we will do our best to get back to you. We are on a very flexible route and schedule so adjusting our trip to meet some other inmates along the way will fit right in with our plans. We are going to atempt to post something every day we can so everyone can follow along as we travel.
    x32792 likes this.
  7. RUSTINPEACE

RUSTINPEACE Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!:lurk
  8. BirddogVet

BirddogVet Anticipating... on the road again.

Oddometer:
    Count me in. :beer
  9. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Arizona, 2015. Too late to back out now....:wave

And the GS is a little over 27,000 now. Not likely to overtake Augie in the mileage department :lol2

DSCN1873.JPG
  10. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I finished up on the trip prep on my tenere today. Did a 50,000 mile service, two new Shinko 705, brake system flush, front fork oil flush, rear suspension checked over and all pivits lubed, new air filter, brake pads checked, installed new givi tall windshield and new givi lower skid pan. I plan to also make an aluminam water cooler mount for a 5 qt round cooler to mount on right side rear footpeg bracket. Tomorrow I'll fab up the cooler holder, go thru my tool kit, tire repair kit, make up a small emergency repair with some zip ties an assortment of fuses, duct tape and a roll of electrical tape. Since we have decided not to camp I am going to use the extra room to carry my winter riding pants and jacket. I am going to have everything except my clothes and personal items stored in my givi painners and trunk. All clothing and personal items will be in a dry bag located on rear seat. All electrical charging cords, spare batteries, cameras, flashlights, and such will be in tank bag. that will allow me to be able to carry my tank bag and my dry bag in at nite and not have to unpack everything every nite. We both will also carry a good waterproof bike cover and cable lock for both bikes at nite. Opa and I have discussed this arangement in depth and come to agreement that this seems to work best for us. Opa has made simmilar preprations and he to will be makin some last minute adjustments over the next several days. The plan is for me to arrive at Opa's Sunday afternoon the 17th where Oma will feed us our (last supper) before we depart for the southwestern Alabama gulf coast early the following morning.
    sophijo likes this.
  11. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    With some variations my set up will be the same, sorta.

If I did this right you should be able to track us in pretty much real time. I have Bubbler Pro on my android phone, linked to Spotwalla.

The Adventures of Augie & Opa

The link will not be active until 4/18.
  12. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    20150325_184210.jpg
  13. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
  14. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of my favorites from last years trip. 20150325_160612.jpg 20150315_153721.jpg
  15. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I went to the drug store today. Picked up some travel size stuff for the shave kit.

And since everything must be charged back up.........

DSC_5615.JPG

End of a long day last year, Parker AZ

DSCN1935.JPG
  16. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ride! :thumb

:lurk
  17. trypod-AL

trypod-AL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You must have left a year ago. This is 2016.
  18. Lollipop

Lollipop Gator Bait

Oddometer:
    I'm IN! My son and I just did the NC/TN mountain thing the first 3 days of this week. Boy am I outta shape. I ride a 2013 S10 and it was perfect, but this old fat cripple hasn't recovered yet from just 3 days! My hat's off to you guys and I'll be there in spirit, but glued to my pc. I'm an hour east of LaGrange, GA and an hour south of Atlanta should you need anything in this area. Got a place to sleep and shower, etc. Keep it coming.
  19. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the word of encoragement. Glad to here u are enjoying the terere. It is a fine motorcycle. We will surely keep your offer in mind as we will be in your area on monday the 19th . We are not sure as to how far south we will be on monday. We'll shoot u an email if we are in your area.
  20. Lollipop

Lollipop Gator Bait

Oddometer:
    Fair enough!