The Adventures of LoneStar & The Iron Butterfly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Yama! Posting from a parking lot while TIB is buying food lol

Yes the bike purchase was completely unexpected and we really had to make a decision as to whether the budget hit would be worth it. In the end it was a no-brainer as Kim immediately felt more comfortable on the bike and I could tell from her handling it in the parking lot and several other places that it was the bike for her. We have not had much opportunity for dirt work on it but I suspect as she learns the Beast it will do well for her.

The trip down from Alaska should reveal any issues there may be and at least it will simplify our spare parts and tool kit for South America
    asphaltsurfer1 and FailureDrill like this.
  2. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Outstanding new ride for IB, also noted that it came equipped w/my homeboy s luggage---this you will really enjoy, not sure if the dealer informed you guys or not but the style of Jesse bags is adjustable forward & aft to adj center of gravity which will help Kim balance the behemoth as you get further south. I think she is going to really enjoy the trip now .
    luvin ever minute of it----
  3. de crowe

de crowe de crowe

Oddometer:
    loving this, safe riding
    wanderlost and LoneStar like this.
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey bro! She is loving the bike for sure and handles it more deftly than the 700. We are going to fiddle with Jesse's a bit as the top case is more to the rear than it should be Imo. There are grab handles mounted that are blocking the forward movement of the Jesse's on the sides, but I'm going to yank those so that we can get the bags forward. She is absolutely in love with the Jesse's LOL especially after the crap ass BMW plastic ones
  5. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    What an adventure, I sure like reading your reports and the great photography. I'm in the final preparations for a trip to the Grand Canyon with a buddy next month, can"t wait to get on the road on my old R90S. It won't be quite an adventure as yours, but will sure beat sitting around the house.
    LoneStar and Uke like this.
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey Zap! sounds like a good trip - anywhere is good lol
    Zapgarou likes this.
  7. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I have just finished catching up to date with your RR. I really like your writing style and your plans and where you have been. I plan on heading up to Alaska next summer, I was going to go in 2015 but ended up going to Ecuador instead, and fell over on the last day of riding and broke my knee. Wifey says she doesn't mind me going place, I just have to come home not broke again. I look forward to seeing the below the US episodes. Be careful of the crazy drivers, everywhere. I am in NE Tex, my brother is in the Hill Country and my sis is very close to Mexico down in Harlingen, so I get down there every now and then.
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Nothing like a new ride! Sorry to hear of motel fraud incident. I've heard it all now!
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. Ken0312

Ken0312 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's terrible about the motel crooks, but I've greatly enjoyed your ride report. Great pictures and great stories. Good job on scoring the 1200 for IB. I'm impressed she can handle the bigger bike. Did the dealer put on new TKC 70 tires? I'd would be curious to know how the two bikes compare to each other. This might seem like a longways away, but if you're ever back in North Dallas area and need anything, just let me know. Thanks again for sharing your experience. Cheers, Ken
    LoneStar likes this.
  10. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats TIB! You do look very confident on your new steed. How about that? Awesome!
  11. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    LoneStar,
    How is the TIB doing with her ear infection? Hopefully it has cleared up. I feel for her since it can be very painful, I've had my share of them over the years.
    Most were due to not properly taking care of my ears after diving. Others caused by wearing ear plugs to sleep while working offshore in a room full of snorers.
    I've used a mixture of half vinegar, half alcohol to dry and restore the acidic balance to my ears when I've felt like an infection was starting. It has worked pretty good for me.
    Hopefully she has gotten better.
  12. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zap - it's finally cleared up and doing much better!
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Zapgarou like this.
  13. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top shelf ride and report LoneStar, thanks for taking the time to share it.
    LoneStar likes this.
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    So, a new motorcycle is the cure for pain. :nod

I'll have to try that one out. Um, honey, I have this really bad pain. I need a new motorcycle to cure it! :lol3

Glad to hear she's doing better. :thumb
    MizzouRider and LoneStar like this.
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Truth be told she just wanted an Alaska license plate :D
  16. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Random post...

Really happy with the new FirstGear Kilimanjaro 37.5 jacket.

[​IMG]

It has been completely waterproof in hours of rain, build quality is outstanding and much more comfortable than any jacket I've owned. Also I've noticed that the new fabric seems to be less hot in warm conditions and warmer in cold than my last couple or three.
    Actually had the opportunity to wear it in 101 degree heat and it was far cooler than expected. Still freaking hot but less than other jackets I've owned. If it had a couple more vents I'd be happier but it does flow well. The shoulder vents really catch air over the windshield compared to chest vents.
    I may be cursing it in central America but very happy with it.
    A plus is that the white and green gives me a cheerful "Christmasy" look when on the red bike and everybody loves to see Santa right?
  17. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    You can see the stress release in both your faces from first pics to pics later into your journey. Looks like fun. Hope you're traveling safe on your return south before it gets too cold.
  18. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    The next morning was grey, foggy and rainy as we rode back out onto the spit for a final glimpse of Homer and the fishing fleet. It was a place we want to return, if for no other reason than to spend a few days and a few bucks going fishing. There was something we liked about it for no obvious reasons, but it called our name and we heard it clearly.

[​IMG]

From Homer north to Seward the rain came in sheets and the ride north seemed to take forever. We arrived in Seward and found a coffee shop downtown, sheepishly walking in with water pouring from us in puddles on the floor, finding an empty table and chairs in the rear on which to set our gear and hang our jackets. We chose to sit as far away as possible in the hopes we wouldn’t be associated with the water puddles on the floor… right.

A hot cup of coffee and a bagel filled us and our time until we saw Heather and Dave pull in and walk over to us. They were drenched and it showed as they removed their jackets and layers, water patterns on each as they came off. I selfishly have to say I was a little glad to see that their Klim Jackets had leaked, showing that nothing is truly waterproof, the water having penetrated the zippers eventually after 3 hours of rain. I’ve spent a LOT of money on gear over the years and in a few instances it has been worth it, but more often than not it hasn’t.

Dave and I had had a conversation previously about gear and long term travel. We’ve both found that very little gear really is built to last, no matter the hype or price. As Dave said, most gear is designed for weekend warriors and doesn’t last under regular use. We are finding that to be true so far and Dave and Heather have far more time and experience on the road than we...

[​IMG]

After D&H got warmer and drier, we had a chance to catch up on happenings since Fairbanks. Heather had bought the lowered F800GS and was handling it well. They planned to head from Seward back through Anchorage and possibly Valdez before going on to Haines and taking the ferry to Prince Rupert. They wanted us to ride from Terrace with them south over a lot of back roads through the mountains. We knew that we’d be parting ways with Fanda and Kaschka at Watson Lake in the Yukon and going south while they took the Alcan for Alberta, so meeting D&H at Terrace sounded perfect.

Check out Dave and Heather's EXCELLENT blog here: http://www.ridingfullcircle.com

We had to head on for Anchorage but they were going to find a hotel for the night as the cold and wet had taken it’s toll. As we loaded our bikes, several folks came over to talk, including an artist whose work was exhibited in the gallery we were parked in front of. She had the adventurer’s spirit and we talked a long time with her about travel, life, youth, art and age...

The road north for Anchorage was still cold, wet and rainy as we motored on, the tide having gone out from the bay along the roadside - an impressive sight indeed as it appeared to be a 30 foot tide or so.

It was nearing dark when we finally found Ronetta’s home in Anchorage, being greeted by her two fluffy black dogs, the smell of dinner being cooked and a warm dry couch for conversation. She fed us too much… halibut, reindeer sausage, dessert, and more! What an awesome woman and we feel like we've got a new sister.

The next morning we had to get back to the BMW dealer to return Kim’s boots and meet up with Dave and Heather. They wanted to see if the BMW Comfort Seat on Kim's old 700 would fit Heather’s new 800 and possibly be a bit lower, as well as check out the Touratech windscreen. When Ronetta heard that D&H were coming through Anchorage, she offered to let them camp out on the floor at her home as well, so we were glad to offer that to them.

By the time we made the dealership to return the boots, D&H had been there a while. All the BMW gear was on significant sale, so Kim exchanged the leaky Gaerne's for a set of BMW boots. They had a pair of BMW Gravel boots in my size and, having online rave reviews for being truly waterproof, I grabbed a pair as well.

The seat and windshield didn’t work out for D&H, and they followed us to REI where I had to return a couple of our collapsible pots. The plastic lids are not lasting well in use and are cracking so we needed to return them. Across the street lay an unsuspecting UPS store and I was able to ship my Forma boots back before we headed over to Ronetta’s place for Caribou spaghetti, garlic bread, dessert, laughs and a bottle of Pendleton per Dave.
    MrKiwi, moment and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  19. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    We reconnected with F&K, who’d been able to get some work done and a new rear tire. They were anxious to get on the road and were going to meet us near Ronetta’s. F&K have been trying to get some confirmation on a visa in the US for some time but no one seems able to answer that. They messaged that they were going to the Czech Consulate in Anchorage that morning and would meet us after.

As Kim, Dave, Heather and I got the bikes packed, Ronetta asked if she might travel with us to Valdez in her Yukon. Hell yes was the answer She loaded her gear and dogs while I went to find Fanda & Kaschka. They had not been able to find the consulate as the address didn’t seem to exist. They followed us back to Ronetta’s where she filed them with biscuits and gravy before leaving.

[​IMG]

We all rolled out together and over to a storage facility to see a couple of custom buses her friend was selling before we finally got on the road for Valdez.

Much of the day had slipped away before we got on the road for Glenallen and then Valdez.

The night before we'd left, Kim had suddenly begun feeling bad as with a cold. Heather gave her a dose of liquid oregano extract which really kicked the cold up and into gear. Kim had gone to sleep early and had woken up congested but better. Heather said the extract shortened a cold extensively if you got it administered quickly and it seemed to have worked!

As the day progressed I began to feel a sore throat and cough and then began to feel really bad. Obviously I’d gotten a cold as well.

[​IMG]

I saw a bumper sticker that said "Alaska. Road construction next 2000 miles" ad laughed but it seemed true
    [​IMG]

The fall colors were stunning and it was interesting to see how the temps had changed in different valleys and areas, passing through intense colors and then areas where it was still mainly green

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rain came and went as we rode until making the turn at Glenallen. It was getting dark and we all were very tired from the long day. There were no campgrounds and eventually we just pulled off the road into a driveway with a gate. The gate was unlocked so Dave and I wandered in, thinking it might be a pipeline road where we could camp. Instead it led to a small cabin/cottage that was very nice and seemed unoccupied, except for the firewood pile on the porch. It looked like a good camp spot but we decided not to chance it.

Instead a 4 wheeler path along the roadside was our home for the night. We parked bikes at either end to stop any flying 4 wheelers that might come along, got the tents up and struggled to get a fore going and some food. About that time a truck turned into the driveway and stopped, the driver asking if we needed anything and explaining it was his cabin down the road. he was very friendly, owning a ship tender in Valdez and living in his cabin out where we were.

We invited him for dinner, he declined and went through his gate, only to immediately return. He asked about the gate and we told him we’d walked down his road thinking it was pipeline access. Obviously he’d been able to tell it had been opened despite Dave’s efforts to put it back exactly. He was not upset, just verifying it was us and then said if we had any issues to come wake him up.

Of course that brought up the idea of “issues” which we all assumed would be bear or moose. About that time Kim heard a loud crashing and wood breaking in the brush near our tents. Never a dull moment. Luckily nothing appeared and eventually we all crawled into our tents for the evening. Bear spray ready... I think I've become Bearanoid :O
  20. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    "BEARANOID," I like that, describes the feeling to a tee.
    LoneStar likes this.