The Adventures of LoneStar & The Iron Butterfly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure all is well. I'm thinking they are putting in long days, eating up the miles, booking it south.
    TheIronButterfly and LoneStar like this.
  2. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt getting the flock out of the North Country and the weather!!

LeeU
  3. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your photography is way over the top great. I was there this Summer and gave up trying to capture the vastness and the beauty. You have pulled it off. Fantastic. The best I have ever seen. TIB helps.
    Your writing is as good as the pics.
    Thanks. Ben.
    One more point. Most people seem unfriendly when compared to Texans.

b
  4. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Kim & Joseph, :wave

How are you two intrepid travelers?
    Hope all is well and that you are staying out in front of the cooler weather.

Wanted to update you guys on your travel partners.
    Kaschka and Fanda just spent a few days with us here in Steamboat Springs.
    They're adorable people.
    I'm envious of their adventure.
    They were surprised to find out that I had traveled through their country a few times.
    I'm going to go buy a few lottery tickets tonight.
    If I win, I'll see you all in MX. :thumb :lol3

Fanda did some light bike service while he had my garage to work in.
    He mounted a new rear tire.
    He also changed the motor oil and filter.
    We were going to do some brake work but he decided that it could wait.

When you described their bike as a "heavily laden GS" ................ boy did you ever hit the nail on the head! It's a real beast of burden!
    Somewhere in all that stuff is a drone for photography purposes ! Ahhhhhh............. youth. :D

Last night we got out a stack of maps and I tried to route them through all the really fun/scenic stuff in CO, UT, AZ etc. on their way south. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it'll all work out for them to hit the camping spots, ride the roads, and see the sights that we talked about. Again, I'm a little envious.

[​IMG]

Here's "Frank" & "Kate" departing our place this morning.

Note that their colossal top box is sporting a brand new ROAD DAMAGE sticker!
    Chicks in NYC are paying top dollar for those ........ and F & K only had to travel from the Czech Republic across Russia and Mongolia to get a free one!

[​IMG]

How about THAT set up for wind/rain protection !!
    Those dry bags are projecting about 8"-10" outside the cylinder heads.
    They have an 11 gal. Touratech fuel tank. Frank made some upper crash bars to protect the big tank. The dry bags are just strapped to his crash bars.

[​IMG]

And of course, good bye hugs ands kisses in the garage.
    Speaking of which ............ looks like I need to go clean my garage!

Safe travels to those kids!
    And safe travels to you two too. (see what I did there?) :brow :wink:

RD
  5. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah ............... I forgot about this little tidbit.

You ADVers following this ride report are really gonna enjoy this. :nod :thumbup

So Kaschka told us that she used to sing in a Rock -N-Roll band in the Czech Republic.
    The band was called Madame Butterfly.
    They did a music video of a song of theirs called Gott, and I think it's just genius. It's really a lot of fun.
    So it's actually the 4 band members in costume, pretending to be the panel critiquing the music acts.
    So Kate is the gum chewing critic ........ and she's also the gal singing for the band.
    Talented woman!

Oh yeah ............. AND TODAY (Oct 14th) IS KATE'S 26th BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!

Okay, Kim and Joseph ........... this is my last thread hijack .............. I promise.

ENJOY !!!!!
  6. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL Rob glad you posted that and the update on F&K! We be missing them :€
    Oh and feel free to post in our interims :D

Yes, we'uns been hauling butt south and I'm about to do some posts since we got some internet!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
  7. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up, love your pictures and writing style!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    There was a case of early morning crabbiness due to lack of sleep, but it felt good to be on the bikes again, if for nothing more than a couple or three miles to the downtown area to find breakfast and get our heads on straight for the ride down Vancouver Island. Riding off the ferry at least it wasn't raining and that was good!

[​IMG]

In the Yukon, we’d run into a couple who were in an RV about 3 times and at our last encounter they invited us to spend a night with them in Sidney on our way through to the lower 48 so that was our goal for this segment of the ride.

At a little breakfast spot in downtown Port Hardy we planned the route south for Sidney, whose location was a nice surprise as we’d had invitations from friends in Anacortes, Washington and Orcas Island in the San Juans. From Sidney it would be a short ferry ride to Orcas and then over to Anacortes.

[​IMG]

Breakfast was as good as home-made by the shop proprietor, and we had a few questions from folks about our trip while waiting inside. Outside I saw a guy ogling the bikes and shortly after came in to ask if we minded him taking a picture of them. After gearing up he again came over with his wife and another couple. Turns out they were on vacation from California but rode Adventure bikes as well. We had a good convo for a while and then headed off south.

[​IMG]

Always a good sign... and we've seen so many rainbows on this trip. (I also saw a unicorn and a pink elephant but Kim said I shouldn't tell anyone that)
    [​IMG]

As we rode, the rain came again, our constant companion for the last few days, but I can’t say I missed him...

The countryside and some of the towns were quaint and charming, a bit more refined and Martha Stewarty than seen in our previous travels in Alaska and the Yukon, but that was OK. Coming back to culture made me feel a bit squirmy though, as I knew the land of Petco, Bed Bath & Beyond, Chili’s, Home Depot and more lay just over the horizon.

[​IMG]

The rains finally cleared somewhat as the end of the day came. We stopped at the beach in Parksville and took a walk along the water in the sunset. Residents walked briskly past along the waterway, evening strolls and weight loss programs in full swing as the sun set. Kim and I sat and watched the setting sun’s rays streaming across the eastern sound and listened to the slow lap of little waves hitting the shore as darkness fell.

[​IMG]
    dondesmo, ShimrMoon, COG-KLR and 9 others like this.
  9. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I can not get over how confident, comfortable & relaxed IB looks on her bike, its as if the two were made to be together plus I'm sure there is a certain amount of pride on your part also.
    Am looking to a fast forward through the lower 48 & onwards to CA & SA,I just have a feeling the slower pace & photos are going to be spectacular----so much so that I predict H U calendar photos for up coming years.
    LoneStar likes this.
  10. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Indeed Belstaff, the lower 48 will be a fast forward and DEFINITELY looking forward to Mexico :D
    3xranger likes this.
  11. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    The next morning we were dragging a bit, and after stuffing ourselves (and pockets) on the free breakfast got slowly packed and organized in the sunshine. We missed the 11 am checkout deadline but I told the clerk our clocks were still set on Alaska time

Goal for the day was Sidney, with a stop in Nanaimo for a break on the way. Sho’ nuff, Nainamo eventually rolled under the wheels and we made our way to the downtown section near the bay.

Twas a cool and hip little town and after a few circuits looking for parking and a coffee shop we got off the bikes to the sound of bagpipes playing. Even cooler.

We wandered over just as some guys in skirts finished playing the pipes and we noticed a conglomeration of men dressed in suits with necklaces and other paraphernalia across the street. Apparently a small parade was forming up, and I told them we were honored to have arrived in Nanaimo but the parade for us really wasn’t necessary. They didn’t think it was funny (the bastards!) and informed us that it was to honor the new Bishop who was a Mason and to lay a new Masonic cornerstone at the cathedral.

With impeccable timing we looked up the street to see the new Bishop wandering towards us dressed in his white caped crusader outfit. Before we knew it, a couple of Mounties in red outfits were there, as well as the bagpipers and the suited Masons. It took a lot of milling around pointlessly but eventually the parade began. The crowd swelled to at least ten people as they marched past and up the street the two blocks to the cathedral.

[​IMG]

Seeing the bishop walking down the street unleashed the Monty Python monster in my head and I couldn't think of anything but this as he walked towards us...

[​IMG]

The parade moved quickly by, complete with silly walks...

Weirdly enough, Bo and Luke Duke (looking much older) peeled out around the corner...
    [​IMG]

Boss Hogg was a no-show but I did get to see another sweet Mopar monster that brought back memories of my 1969 Dodge Coronet RT with the 440 magnum engine. Sigh.
    [​IMG]

Kim and I wandered back over to a small plaza for our lunch of boiled eggs and pastries lifted from the motel that very morning and then found our way down to an open air market on the water. There were hand made wool sweaters, pottery, jewelry and other artisanery items, Kim picking up a pair of earrings since she had room in the cases. One thing that has been interesting has been the inability to buy any extra crap like souvenirs and such. My cases are so tightly packed I only have room for small thin items like bumper stickers...

We talked to several artists there who shared our desire to live minimally and it’s been surprising how many people we’ve met who’ve had it with life and are planning on selling it all and living in Sprinter vans and such. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

Anyways we finally got back on the bikes for the trek to Sidney but were distracted by the ships docked as we left town - especially one loaded to the gills with logs. Kim spotted an open gate at the Port Authority and we rode through, finding our way down to an old and somewhat derelict looking dock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was fascinating watching the logs being loaded, workmen standing on them as they floated in the water by the ship, catching cables from the cranes above and attaching them to the logs before hopping to the next as the lift began.

[​IMG]

This went on for a few moments until, as expected, a rent-a-cop came screeching down in his little car to tell us to get off the dock. I’m sure his pulse was pounding at such a terroristic moment, and it likely made his month to have actually gotten to tell someone what to do. Sorry for the sarcasm but I REALLY get tired of cops and security guards overreacting.

From the docks we rode south until a traffic jam outside Duncan slowed us to a crawl. Amidst the traffic we’d seen a couple of KTM 950’s and we’d traded spots back and forth until they fell far behind. As we sat, both KTM’s passed us on the side of the road and waved for us to follow, They seemed to know a shortcut so we jumped in and left the traffic jam behind, weaving through neighborhoods and side roads until we reached the downtown area of a village, where one of the riders yelled to me “Would you like to get a coffee?” I nodded and we sped off again, eventually ending up on the original highway with little traffic until they pulled into a roadside coffee house.

I’ve always been a fan of the KTM 950 and there were two versions produced that I always wanted. One being the silvery blue 2004.5 and the other the blue with orange frame. Both bikes were the ones they were riding, and as our helmets came off we introduced ourselves, Dave was on the blue and orange and Johann was on the silver.

Dave and Johann
    [​IMG]

Our timing wasn’t good for coffee, as the skies were threatening and Johann was anxious, his riding gear being not waterproof as he’d discovered earlier in the day. As it turns out the coffee shop was closed due to a power outage anyway so we geared back up. Dave and Johann said to follow them to Victoria and they’d signal where we needed to exit for Sidney.

We rolled on, a bit anxious as our hosts had asked us to be there at 6 since dinner was being made. The bad traffic had slowed us and my GPS showed Sidney to be relatively near, so I wasn’t too worried until I realized the GPS was routing to a ferry directly across the bay and not showing the actual land route mileage. When I finally got it sorted we had much further to go than expected and the pressure was on. As we followed J & D, the traffic began slowing on the highway. I punched “shortest route” into the Garmin and decided to exit early. As we exited, I couldn’t really communicate with them and saw them frantically waving to follow. Felt bad but the decision was the right one to get off the main freeway and we made it to our hosts Dave and Shan’s home just a few minutes late.

[​IMG]

We spent a nice evening with them, both adventurous souls who’d lived in many places and always been self sufficient types. Shan made a wonderful meal and we talked over dinner and an evening walk before retiring for the night.
  12. TheIronButterfly

TheIronButterfly n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob...... we are sooo happy F&K were able to connect with you guys. Great pics of the younguns!!
  13. moment

moment Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good photos, thanks for sharing. I love it.
    LoneStar likes this.
  14. Wildbillsgarage

Wildbillsgarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesomer! My wife rides and it is the way to go for 2 getting away. Nice report. Proper done. have a great adventure, stay safe, and hang onto every minute. It will fly by so fast.
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for "breaking the law" and riding past the open gate. The photo of the ship loaded with logs, is quite impressive.
  16. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    We've gone gangsta. We're planning to start tearing tags off mattresses next... but slowly working up to it...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
  17. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up.........like the other readers.........Pics and writing are brilliant........and tearing off mattress tags, well that is just down right cray cray and wild at the same time........Thanks for taking us along on the Adventure!!
  18. TheIronButterfly

TheIronButterfly n00b

Oddometer:
    Ophir Pass was one heluva ride /walk.....
    rageabout and sanjuanbum like this.
  19. TheIronButterfly

TheIronButterfly n00b

Oddometer:
    The rainbow and colors in the sky that nite outside Virginia City were truly spectacular.
  20. drfood

drfood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Iron Butterfly and LoneStar. Was great meeting y'all a couple of weeks ago at the North Rim Grand Canyon. We just made it back to Houston late last night. Now we need to start reading and catching up with your trip report.

Ride safe.

Darrell and Jay
    LoneStar and TheIronButterfly like this.