The Adventures of LoneStar & The Iron Butterfly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. tppilot

tppilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How's this for specific - what's the 'secret photo item' and how did you 'cloak' the AR and ammo? LOL

Good luck on your mission, and I'll be following. Congrats to IB on the new gig. I know you'll miss her, and so will we!

TP
    LoneStar likes this.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez I can't believe you read that whole list

Anyway, if I answered either of those questions I'd have to kill you. Nicely, of course, but still I'd have to...

Running solo will take a bit to adjust to, but I promise to fill in for her missing presence in pics. For starters I brought a Speedo and thong for beach shots. It'll take a while to get a tan again tho so bear with me
  3. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thong is a good idea. Who are you going to put in it?

Ben.
    Davidprej and LoneStar like this.
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Ben, I'm saddened. Like the James Taylor song says, "Well, I'm a cement mixer, baby, a churning urn of burning funk. I'm a demolition derby, yeah, a hefty hunk of steaming junk."

It ain't for the faint and weak of heart.
    arghhh likes this.
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    well there goes the neighborhood, just unsubscribed

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    stevie99 and LoneStar like this.
  6. freewaystreak

freewaystreak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bravo my man, you almost need a small trailer for all your electronic gear! Triple dog dare you to wear your speedo and take a pic, we can call it "gringo gigantica" . Lol have a great ride!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    LoneStar likes this.
  7. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I love you too freeway :lol3
    Need a vinyl "Gringo Gigantica" logo for the windshield
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wola! In again for part deux. Reminder again of camera model & lenses in tank bag?
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Elron - camera is the Sony A6000 with Zeiss 16-70 and Sony kit 55-210

Sitting here doing the final packing on the bike and trying to squeeze it all in again. The cases will be equivalent of a black hole in weight once I get it done
    woody250xc and elron like this.
  10. freewaystreak

freewaystreak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lonestar I'm going to get one made for you! Lol. What color?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    LoneStar likes this.
  11. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

Really glad you get to get back on the road but sorry to hear you will be traveling without
    TIB. She brings a lot to your travels and always seems to have a smile on her face.

Your packing is fascinating. Never thought about the 'square' packing method but it does make a
    lot of sense once you think of it.

If I win the lotto tomorrow I will get back into riding and see if I can follow you to Argentina, as long you don't mind a Honda on the trip.

LookingHard
    LoneStar likes this.
  12. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Nicely organized. My problem is everytime I re pack I do it differently. Good idea to do it while you can. With failing heath I know I'll never see such an adventure at retirement. 200 mile days is best I can do anymore. Travel safe my friend
    LoneStar likes this.
  13. drfood

drfood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe--Sorry you're having to undertake the adventure without IB, it would be hard for me to take a long trip w/out Jay. He probably wouldn't let me :-)

Question. What brand and where did you get items 1 and 2 in the photo? The bag for the camera equipment looks like something we could use. I like the bag you have the tent is, it is much better than the 1 we have ours in.

Thanks. Safe travels. Looking forward to all of the great stories and photos.
    LoneStar likes this.
  14. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Come on bro LOL - as long as it's the new Africa Twin

I spent a lot of yesterday packing and looking and sorting - it's like a Rubik's Cube inside my cases - slide this that way, turn this sideways, etc. I had my system perfect until having to add some stuff again. On the road we both reorganized our packing several times.

It feels good to wheedle things out and make room for things like food and Mezcal :lol3

Gracias Doc - #1 is a Taichi sport bike tank bag I modified. Don't know the number, just found it rustling through stuff at MotoLiberty in Dallas. It's exactly the depth of the camera body and small. The bag originally had magnetic tabs which I cut off, and then bought a spare SW-Motech quick release mount to snap it onto my existing Motech filler cap ring. It pops off easy and I have a strap on it to carry like a camera bag if need be.

#2 is a MotoVaky waterproof duffle from the Czech Republik from my buds Fanda and Kachka. He gave me a pair of them when they tossed a bunch of gear. He says it can't be cut so maybe theres a mesh molded in or something. I think it's 20 L with tie down loops and roll top.
    http://www.motovaky.cz/nejprodavanejsi-produkty (Interpreting this site should keep you busy for a while - but they seem to have some cool stuff)

We used the FirstGear Torrent duffles in 25L and 70L for Alaska since we had bigger sleeping bags and camp chairs, Kelty tarp, etc and they work really well - especially with the roll top going the length of the duffle since you didn't have to pull stuff out. Only downside for me was catching my boot on the bulk and straps when exiting the bike. The GSA is tall enough as is, then when the kickstand is down the right pannier tilts way up and with the duffle on top twas a bitch.

Can't tell you how many times a boot buckle would snag a strap halfway across and I'd be hooked like a whale. When people were around I'd just act like I was doing a yoga stretch for an extended period... it's amazing how much the word "bastard" can be made to sound like "namaste"
    ShimrMoon, Kingpf and Trip Hammer like this.
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Rolling out of here in about 5 minutes for west central Texas to see a friend, then to the mini-Manhattan of Dilley, TX for some new treads and minor maintenance @ MotoHank

[​IMG]

As the adventure continues, I'd appreciate a prayer or two for good weather and good people ahead. If you don't pray, just send cash.

Adios amigos
    Allucaneat, arghhh, Davidprej and 7 others like this.
  16. Harder1

Harder1 braaaap!

Oddometer:
    Jump, and build your wings on the way down! Can't wait to see more of your craft. Safe Travels :beer
    LoneStar likes this.
  17. drfood

drfood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Travel safe Joe. Will send positive vibes your direction for the full extent of the adventure.

Looking forward to the reports!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    LoneStar likes this.
  18. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe travels! As for packing, if I saw an electric donkey biting dog polisher, I'd buy it and bring it everywhere!

(See, many of us do read every word...)
    LoneStar likes this.
  19. jeepman63

jeepman63 daplumber

Oddometer:
    will be looking forward to this, take your time and try to enjoy everyday. Im going to miss kim??? :rofl
    LoneStar likes this.
  20. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I'm already wishing I'd brought it :doh
    ChicoProf likes this.