The Adventures of LoneStar & The Iron Butterfly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Jun 22, 2016.

1. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Looking good buddy. Safe travels. Looking forward to new stories and memorable photos
    LoneStar likes this.
  2. 230Rocket

230Rocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride far Gigantica

cheers
    Dean
    LoneStar likes this.
  3. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dallying in Dilley, waiting out the rain from the hurricane...

I'll probably start a new thread for this journey since it's a solo gig now :(
  4. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciated your "packing post". I have a confession: I love the process of packing for a trip, esp motorcycle trips-where everything must be carefully thought out. The anticipation of travel is thoroughly wound up in the packing process. (I'm usually so excited I can't sleep anyway, so might as well be packing.)
    230Rocket and LoneStar like this.
  5. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jocephus,

Are you getting a lot of rain there in Dilley, or are you safely west of most of it?
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Only about an hour of sprinkly rain here.

It missed Dilley and the north and east are getting hammered though. Hank and I are in San Antonio right now where it's raining but not bad.

Gigantopithecus

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Vance and Davidprej like this.
  7. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride with your wife.Not many around like that.Could not help but notice the front tire on your bike.Looks really worn out to start a trip like yours.
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey Baja, thanks. Yeah I'm getting a set of tires on it tomorrow. These Mitas have 10k on them and still decent but switching back to Heidenau K60.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
  9. arghhh

arghhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up with this titanic RR (titanic as in epic, not sinking failure). Not the way anybody wants to end a journey, but it's great to see your lust for Ushuaia still burns.
    ^ My favourite stories and photos so far. I'm not saying I hope you get hassled by more assholes and dangerous animals on your second trip, but that's where all the drama is... I joke, safe travels.
    LoneStar likes this.
  10. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    Hope you'll post here your new thread title...
    LoneStar likes this.
  11. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks Arghhh - I've read other reports where folks have faced bandits, floods, kidnappers and beasts. It seems appropriate and fitting that my horrors and challenges would be a room overcharge, 2 spiders and a small child shooting me the finger :lol3

At least on this trip I can say I left the day after a solar eclipse and rode into a hurricane (eerie music plays softly in background)

Your "titanic" analogy my be more apropos to my upcoming report... a huge, heavy laden, ill-designed thing heading full speed south towards a land of icebergs.
  12. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Will do! :dllama:
    joenuclear and elron like this.
  13. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    FINALLY had a bit of time to make a map of our route through Mexico

The route avoided the northwest cuz we wanted to do it properly and include Baja, which couldn't be accommodated this round. Besides, our CouchSurfing host was El Chapo and he got arrested so we figured his house was locked.

Guerrero was avoided because the locals said it wasn't safe during the time we were there - not that we'd have been in danger necessarily, just made sense to take a different route since it would have been a bit out of our way.

Tampico and the eastern coast were hot and humid and we'd had enough of that in spades

Mileage was right near 10,000 miles from DFW and back

[​IMG]
    Jeff_d, Davidprej, arghhh and 3 others like this.
  14. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    Wow. That really puts the trip in perspective--yall went just about all over!

it begs the question, what do you have planned for this go round? are you thinking to spritz thru Mejico to get to new countries sooner?
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    My plan is to blow through Mexico back to San Cristobal, taking a different route to catch a few places I haven't seen yet. I'm a bit torn as I want to get to Colombia and spend the majority of my time on the continent. By the same token I'd like to make sure I don't miss things in Central America by rushing. Hoping to catch the Stahlratte to sail the bike over, but currently they sail September 26 or October 15. To make the first date would be very tough and I'd just be blowing through everything. The latter date is realistic and if I arrive early in Panama I can fly the bike over. The reports of a ferry existing seem to be false...
  16. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Slipped on a pair of new Heidenaus and changed fluids. Did the same to the bike. We were both happy.

Anyway, since I'm waiting on a couple of mail order parts I'll comment briefly on the Mitas tires I used for Mexico:

At about 10,000 miles they were wearing a little faster than the Heidi's but looked to get similar mileage.
    I got some cracked blocks as with the Heidenau despite keeping them inflated as recommended.

What I didn't like about them:
    • They are a narrower profile which they tout as being able to dig through soft stuff to traction more easily. Right.
      Instead they buried in soft stuff it seemed - especially sand.
    • The front tire NEVER felt planted. In curves, the bike didn't stay on line and tended to go wide. It happened when new and I attributed it to newness, then a different tread design I'd eventually adapt to, then..., then..., to infinity. Coming to a slow stop or having to ride slowly in traffic
      made the front end weave back and forth in the lane.
    • At highway speed I could not drop both hands off the bars without the bike drifting. It was always light and busy feeling.
    With Heidenaus back on the bike, it immediately stopped the slow speed weaving. At highway speed I can ride without hands on the bars for miles and it tracks like a train with no wandering.

All the above effects may be attributable to the GS front end or something, but my particular bike didn't like them, and what Girtha don't like, neither do I. I'd begun to question if the bike had issues or my suspension settings were muffed but everything went zen when the new Heidanus were on again.

Roughly 1/8 inch left at 10,000 miles
    [​IMG]

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIffERENT:

"It's Martha Stewart's Moto Corner!"

[​IMG]

"I found the perfect recipe for keeping the air filter fresh for months for your BMW R1200GS and Adventure. There's nothing more embarrassing than having guests watch as you pull out your spare air filter, only to see it soggy and wilted. We all hate that don't we!

Well, at your local Container Store or Marshall's, just pick up one of these. You'll find it was made exactly for your expensive and fragile filter, by a frustrated food container designer in New Zealand, who obviously rides an R1200GS. It doesn't even require refrigeration!

They come in various colors for parties and seasons as well. Be creative! You can use Christmas wrap paper to line the interior walls for a surprise at that special time of year, or what a fun birthday present it would make!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

God help me. I need to get on the road.
    Uke, ShimrMoon, FarmerKeith and 13 others like this.
  17. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes you do. Obviously you do.
  18. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I'm feelin the love.
    However, very soon 'twill be tacos, pesos, topes, Topo Chico, topes, tequila, topes, topes, topes y mas topes
    arghhh and Davidprej like this.
  19. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    Don't forget road kill chicken
    LoneStar likes this.
  20. 230Rocket

230Rocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    with the right 'in' and 'out' openings that kitchen utensil could actually be used as an air box the way that filter fits in there so perfectly! And as a bonus you could see when the filter needed cleaning, no more guessing or referring back to the moleskine note book...

come to think of it, you really do need to get back on the road!
    LoneStar likes this.